quick question re minding from council house.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default quick question re minding from council house.

I met someone this week who wanted to become a childminder and is unable to because she lives in a council house and the landlord (the housing association) say she is not allowed as it will be in breach of her contract because she is not allowed to run a business from her home. She spoke to one advisor and she said she is really honest so would'nt dream of just doing it and hoping they didn't find out.

What I'm wondering is how can she know is this is correct? Its not like she is turning it into a business premises by selling stuff out of it and turning it into a shop or industrial unit.Its still predominantly a home. Is there anywhere she could get this confirmed in writing or could find out more? She has just had one person on the phone and his interpretation of the rules and I am finding it hard to believe that they would prevent someone earning money in this way as it would have no reflection on the house or neighbour hood. I am probably naive but if anyone could give advice that would be great!

Has anyone got any knowledge / experience of this? She is an approved adopter so has safegaurding, first aid and CRB and the qualities of being good with children. It seems a shame that she would be unable to offer this service somewhere that they are desperate for childcare.

2. Likes smartbear liked this post
    June 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

No idea but it does seem ridiculous - hope someone knows?

4. Likes Bluebell liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I know several people who childmind from council houses.

Maybe she needs to go and talk to someone in person and explain what childminding is really like
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

6. Likes Bluebell liked this post
    Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I am a housing association tenant and they were fine about CM. I emailed and asked permission, and they said it was fine and to send them written confirmation when I was registered.

Hope your friend gets a more sensible response x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I know that you are not allowed to run a limited business from a rented/council property as there is no collateral if the business fails. C/m is not a limited business and so should be fine, maybe she could explain the difference nicely.

Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    5/3/13
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine is housing..I spoke to housing officer and had to jump through plenty hoops to get permission a pre planning check at the cost of £60 , a visit from fire officer and it is agreed as long as no complaint from neighbours.. I have to send copy of certificate for insurance and Ofsted..

Tell her to speak t her housing officer and keep going higher

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm in a council house and all I had to do was to provide my housing office with copies of my registration and insurance and promise not to advertise my business on the outside of the house.

I would advise her to try to speak to somebody else there if possible-sounds like she got a jobsworth!

11. Likes Bluebell liked this post