Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: 5 Month Old

Registered Childminder since
    May 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 5 Month Old

Hi,

Had a visit from a family with a 5 month old and they have accepted a place.....

Baby will be starting with just one afternoon a week leading upto five afternoons from the 4th November!

It's been ages since I have cared for such a tiny baby! What's the protocol regarding bottles? Should I ask parents to make at home and I store in the fridge then warm up as required?

And weaning? I have said that I am happy to provide weaning meals for baby, as I include all food and drink for the other children.

Now toys and other resources..... What do I need to have?

Thanks
    Xxx

2. Likes watgem liked this post
    mar06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't provide meals for under 12months mainly as its extra hassle ESP at the start doing it all scratch etc
    But you will need sterilizer spoons bowls bibs highchair ect you probably have all these anyway oh and a blender

Bottles I ask they fill with water and I just powder when needed

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Weaning- do not assume it is going to be purees, they may be considering Baby Led Weaning (look it up if it is new to you), talk to parents- they might want to supply their own if they are a bit particular about their baby (especially if first timers!). Be careful about offering to make purees for baby- can take a lot of time!

Bottles- read 'Safer Food for Better Business for Childminders' (on-line or free folder from Food Standards Agency) as that goes through all bottle procedures. If parents bring made-up formula you just have to keep in fridge- that is what I have always done, fresh each day.

mar06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Baby led weaning is fab

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Bottles are generally made up just before use now - my daughter brings me boiled water already in bottles and has a measured powder milk container - I just tip the powder into the water and heat up in a jug of hot water. The milk powder container holds enough milk in separate compartments to do 3 bottles and then I don't need to worry about having big container and counting out spoonfuls.

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've just started to give a LO bottles and downloaded the latest FSA guidelines which say powder should only be added to nearly boiling hot water to kill any potential nasties in the powder. I'd originally asked Mum to provide bottles filled with cooled boiled water but instead she sends sterilised bottles and I make up myself as needed. http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pd...laguidance.pdf

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sing-low View Post
    I've just started to give a LO bottles and downloaded the latest FSA guidelines which say powder should only be added to nearly boiling hot water to kill any potential nasties in the powder. I'd originally asked Mum to provide bottles filled with cooled boiled water but instead she sends sterilised bottles and I make up myself as needed. http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pd...laguidance.pdf
    This is what I do too ^

One mum sends an Avent container with compartments for powder for 3 feeds, and one leaves a box of formula here. (I write the date I opened it on it to make sure it doesn't get used past 4 weeks.)

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

I always make a fool of myself, when I ask what the little pots are, and how they connect to the bottle. Every new baby seems to have a new set of must have baby feeding implements .

Mine had little cone shaped containers that fitted in the top of the advent bottle. The bottle can either be empty of liquid or have the water in it. You open the top, take out the on tinker, tip it in and give. It a shake. Simples!!

Non childminder member
    EY Practitioner
    Post Thanks / Like

I went on a baby weaning course a couple of weeks ago and they actually said your not meant to blend or purree the food now (unless before recommended 6months) a baby's digestive system should have mashed foods, but at the end of the day it's the parents decision so most will probably want it blended.

Baby's bottles are meant to be made from scratch now, so I'd either ask for a box of powder to be left at your house or as someone said above you can get powder containers which are very helpful

You will need steriliser, cup, spoons, bowls, bottles.
    As for toys I'd say musical toys, rattles and sensory toys, shouldn't need too much x

aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Give me the days when you made up the bottles put them in the fridge and heated when needed. Just waiting until uk realises that weaning at 6 months is not good. Only Canada u k and sort if Ireland do it

mar06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jackie 7 View Post
    Give me the days when you made up the bottles put them in the fridge and heated when needed. Just waiting until uk realises that weaning at 6 months is not good. Only Canada u k and sort if Ireland do it
    Why isn't weaning at 6 months not good? Lol

Non childminder member
    EY Practitioner
    Post Thanks / Like

They say the babies digestive system isn't ready until 6 months. Although on the training they did say many parents will want to do it sooner but 5 months should be the earliest they do it x

mar06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SteffiM View Post
    They say the babies digestive system isn't ready until 6 months. Although on the training they did say many parents will want to do it sooner but 5 months should be the earliest they do it x

Ohh before 6months lol yes I totally agree I have 4 children the 1st I weaned at 4 months as bk than it was the thing to do
    My 2nd I left till 5 months
    But my 3rd and 4 th who are now 4&3 I done just after 6 months and done blw they are fab at eating and eat most things now