Hand foot and mouth
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hand foot and mouth

Hi there, I believe a child in my care may have hand foot and mouth.
    Any advice? Have never dealt with this before!!
    Aaaaahhhhhhhhh

Registered Childminder since
    June 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Had this a few weeks ago. Apparently you no longer have to exclude BUT it is extremely contagious & can be v unpleasant for adults. Incubation period about 1 week before symtoms appear which is why they no longer recommend exclusion cos damage already done. We had a child coming back off hols with it so said "no thankyou" since an ill child should be at home & they'd been away for the 10days before so no-one would have caught it. Parent cancelled contract!!!! (which was in many ways a blessed relief to be honest ) cos GP had helpfully told them we HAD to take the child. Suggest you google before deciding x

Post Thanks / Like

Does this mean I could also catch this (

Pre-Reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kimskiddies View Post
    Does this mean I could also catch this (
    You could do, when my daughter caught it, I didn't so you might be lucky. Might be worth ringing the mum and just saying they are poorly what would they like you to do (if you have decided to keep them there with you) as they might say no I'll come collect as I know I would as I hate seeing my little ones poorly and I wouldn't want them to be away from home when ill like that. Xx

OCT 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I would still exclude as it is very contagious and can pass to other children and myself & family. I then couldn't work, and other families wouldn't be happy. As far as I see it is your way of minimising the chances of anyone else catching it. You will always upset someone but if it was the other way around they wouldn't want to increase their risk of catching it. x

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure there is no exclusion. However it would depend on how poorly the little one with it was. I had 3 little ones with it all at once a while back, they had blisters on hands and feet and one or two in mouth, however they were all well and fine so no exclusion needed. And i didnt catch it.

But from reading about it on internet it can be painful in the mouth so a child like this could be really upset if they couldnt eat or just due to the pain, therefore if they couldn't take part in my normal day they would not be able to attend, as per my sickness policy. If they were being sick then my 48 hour rule would apply

June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Myself and my own 3 kids caught this off a mindee, the pain in our mouths was unbearable. No exclusion and no treatment except paracetamol - hope you don't get it

Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

No exclusion necessary for this one. I remember having this as a little girl and it was horrible. I don't remember many illnesses as a child so for me to remember it over 20 yrs later it was bad!!! I'd think child would be better off at home with mum and dad.

Also its very common so most people have built up immunity by adulthood. It is mean to be worse as an adult though.
    If you do not hope, you will not find what is beyond your hopes

Apr-08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

My son had this recently. He had terrible painful ulcers in his mouth, couldn't eat, swallow or talk. Doctor prescribed him something, (can't remember what it's called, will look when I get home), but it was really helpful and reduced inflammation.