Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mpullen17387 View Post

Nope she said any journey with minded children, if your child is in the car you cannot claim x
    Thank you. That would mean a lot of us that have children under school age would not be able to claim for any miles we use then? X

Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well when attended the hmrc course I was told that in the circumstances that I had put down in my previous message the answer was yes.
    Children are born with wings we help them to fly.

Post Thanks / Like

Best to check, I am only saying what I was told, so I personally will not be claiming.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lizduncan72 View Post
    So I can't claim for picking up minded child from nursery because I have to take my 19 month old dd with me? That's solely for the purpose of picking up a minded child, no reason to go if I don't have him but can't leave dd at home alone while I go, bit unfair if I can't claim that
    I disagree with this and totally would claim - it is a 100% childminding cost - nothing to do with personal expenses at all - this is my opinion though
    Debbie

June 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I have my own 2 children to take to school . i have 3 mindees i collect from their home which i also take to school . Contract times are 15 minutes between each other . There is no way i can pick all 3 up and get to school on time by walking. Plus i collect a child from school once dropped off others and another child to collect on way home from school again not possible without car . Yes i claim as impossible to walk with all of them , collect and get to school on time . I can justify to hmrc that if my own children in car ( due illnesses or parents off) so only my own children i do not claim. But if mindees in car i do claim . If my children attend after school clubs i do not claim mileage for picking them up even though mindees may be with me. As its my children attending clubs Etc. hope that makes sense x

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yummyripples View Post
    I have just started doing the school run. My husband used to walk my son. My school run little un does not like to walk and to be honest I don't fancy walking up the hill with a double buggy as well as looking after the walking children.
    My question is whether I can claim mileage allowance because I am taking my own son
    HMRC says...

Taxpayers can only claim the amount per mile basis for journeys that are wholly and exclusively for business purposes.

Taxpayers cannot claim the allowance for private journeys, such as travel from home to work, or for journeys that serve both business and private purpose.

I tried to link it but I struggle with that sort of thing lol! X

Post Thanks / Like

What happens if you have to buy a bigger car therefore uses more petrol etc so you can take your own child to school but take mindees with you as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Childminding Forum
    Mandy xx

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

The original post stated that her husband used to walk with her own child but because the minded child is a lazy little so and so and won't walk she is now forced to take the car - or I suppose she could drive really slowly whilst her own child walked on his own or drive the mindee while husband still walks own child to school! - I often claim for 50% of things and would do that in this case, unless the school is a significant distance away in another town I wouldn't have thought that the Inland Revenue would quibble about it.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I just don't understand how we can't claim any mileage at all if our own children are in the car when we are going anywhere with mindees x

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    The original post stated that her husband used to walk with her own child but because the minded child is a lazy little so and so and won't walk she is now forced to take the car - or I suppose she could drive really slowly whilst her own child walked on his own or drive the mindee while husband still walks own child to school! - I often claim for 50% of things and would do that in this case, unless the school is a significant distance away in another town I wouldn't have thought that the Inland Revenue would quibble about it.
    Awww it's also because I don't fancy walking up a steep hill with a double buggy x lol

Post Thanks / Like

I have decided that I will claim. I would not be using the car if not for the minded child.
    It's a lot to think about because what about when you drop your own off at school and then go to playgroup. Can you claim from home to playgroup or just from school?
    Issues issues issues

Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    5/3/13
    Post Thanks / Like

I spoke to my accountant last year about some of my millage claims...they were to school to collect my son which I walk everyday..but minded 3 year old was not able to walk as had already woke her up for school ..she said I could claim.

I know shopping trips if for my shopping aswell as childminding stuff you can't calim

seems it is such a grey area, different advise given to everyone

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yummyripples View Post
    I have decided that I will claim. I would not be using the car if not for the minded child.
    It's a lot to think about because what about when you drop your own off at school and then go to playgroup. Can you claim from home to playgroup or just from school?
    Issues issues issues
    You would be able to claim from school to play group as you don't have your child in the car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by starlight1 View Post

I know shopping trips if for my shopping aswell as childminding stuff you can't calim
    Get round that by paying separately

SEPT 09
    Post Thanks / Like

So what about claiming mileage for travelling to and from courses ie. First aid etc. Can u claim for that or not? Cos i wouldnt be doing them if i didnt mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes you can claim for them as sole purpose is for business

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12