My dog nipped a mindee again!!!! Aaaarrrrgh!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  29
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My dog nipped a mindee again!!!! Aaaarrrrgh!

I've had my jack Russell for 5 years (since a tiny pup) and he's always been great with the kids. But one particular mindee is really rough with the animals (and the other kids for that matter) my dog is really scared of her . It's the 3rd time he's nipped her arm and left a bruise. Mum is really good about it and even tells her off for being too rough with the dog. Doesn't make me feel any better about it tho.
    This child is a pure nightmare. She is 5 years old and I thought after the 1st time she would learn.
    I'm so stressed right now

Registered Childminder since
    jan 85
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I'd be worried that the next time, the dog may nip her face rather than an arm!
    As your dog has left a bruise, have you written it up in your Accident book?

You need to be very careful, because although the Mum has been good about it so far, what will happen if there's a worse incident? I'd be concerned that the parent may say that it had happened several times before and blame you.
    If this was me, I'd be tempted to give notice to the girl.

3. Likes Goatgirl, Koala, loocyloo liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

After the first and second time did you do a risk assessment? What measures did you put in place to prevent it happening again? Since it's happened 3 times now I think you have to accept that this mindee and your dog are not a good mix and should not be allowed to be together at all. Mum might be fine about it now, but your dog could really hurt or scar her, she won't be so understanding then. To be honest, if I had a dog biting any child that would be the signal for me to separate the dog from all of the mindees, it's too big a risk in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Think DH is gonna build a pen for the dog. Seems a bit unfair on him but I don't see what choice I have.

Post Thanks / Like

I am putting my dog in a run in the garden. The mother can request that your dog is put down and it will happen straight away. The dog will no doubt enjoy the peace

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We have a lab although she is really friendly I do keep her away from the children for that very reason, sometimes children can be too much for them. I know there are a lot of people on here who have dogs and let them have free roam of the house but I choose to keep her in the utility room where she has her own space we have a stairgate acroos the door so she can see what's going on.
    Pixie Dust

May 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i think id have to give notice, i couldn't have my dog in a cage all day for the sake of a boisterous mindee
    I love my friends who live inside my laptop xx

9. Likes Dragonfly, Mrs Scrubbit, loocyloo liked this post
    Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

You have to do something. 3 years ago i kept telling 2 older mindees not to encourage our then 1 year old boxer to go on two legs abduction put front paws on shoulder and she did so and caught mindees ear with claw tore ear. Result hospital treatment ofsted visit even social services visit about my own children s safety. This even though other mindee aged 11 confirmed they had encouraged her and she was only in same room as older children who should know better not with under 8s.
    Result ofsted action she is kept separate from children at all times and complaint stays on file for 5 years.
    You don't want to go through what i did. Parents can just turn like dogs
    If you know what i mean
    Children are born with wings we help them to fly.

Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

For example parent want to leave do not give notice you chase payments abduction they contact ofsted re dangerous dog.
    Children are born with wings we help them to fly.

Apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't think giving notice to the child is the answer. I would say that the dog needs to be kept away from the children, not only for their safety but for the safety of the dog.
    We have a dog but she is kept well away from the children (not in a cage) during minding hours. Even the most placid of dogs could turn and bite and we, as childminders, have a duty of care to protect the children we look after, we also love our dog to pieces and would not want to put her in a position where she feels unsafe and so may bite in defence.

you do need to do something as next time it could be the Lo's face, and make sure that you have risk assessed the situation.

13. Likes Koala, TNT, ziggy, QualityCare, loocyloo liked this post
    Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 3 dogs and they're all kept in a separate room during minding hours unless hubby is at home. I don't even have the time to get them out when little ones are running around anyway! They would be in there if I went out to work so they're used to it anyway

But yes...I'd say keep dog away when this mindee is there. Wouldn't want the parents to turn if he nips somewhere else next time.

15. Likes ziggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We've a large garden so DH is gonna fence off part of the garden for him. Thinks its the best thing to do.

17. Likes Greengrass74, QualityCare, loocyloo liked this post
    Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have three dogs and they are never left with mindies they are either in the kitchen or if I am with mindies in kitchen they are in the kennels. I don't even let my own son be alone with my dogs. I can just never trust children and dogs together. It can go wrong so quickly and so easily.

19. Likes Greengrass74 liked this post
    Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by donna porter View Post
    We've a large garden so DH is gonna fence off part of the garden for him. Thinks its the best thing to do.
    Oh we've done this back garden for dogs, side and front for kids! Works a treat!

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

We had an old lab, lost her early last year. But she was always in the kitchen behind a stair gate and was only allowed in to hoover up after meals...lol. I trusted her but there was always that little doubt that if a child touched a sore spot or was a little rough she may have got cross. It was to me the best thing to keep her separate for everyones sake

22. Likes primula, AliceK liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caz3007 View Post
    We had an old lab, lost her early last year. But she was always in the kitchen behind a stair gate and was only allowed in to hoover up after meals...lol. I trusted her but there was always that little doubt that if a child touched a sore spot or was a little rough she may have got cross. It was to me the best thing to keep her separate for everyones sake
    My dogs are in kitchen behind stair gate - one day though a mindee blew a trumpet next to the gate and then put hand through to touch a dog (although I was always telling children not to), the dog barked and snapped at his fingers - only a very slight dent, luckily skin wasn't broken - however the mother was still here and made a terrible fuss. I decided during that day that I had 3 choices - have dog put down, have dog rehomed, or clad the gate in perspex to stop child putting hand through - I obviously chose the 3rd option.

I am glad you are taking steps to separate the dog from the mindee - what about your poor dog in the winter, will it have to stay outside all day or could it come into house and be in a crate. My dogs literally stay in their baskets all day, other than a quick hoover up in dining room after meals. I'm sure if you had a dog crate your dog would choose to be in it rather than with this rough mindee.

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    My dogs literally stay in their baskets all day, other than a quick hoover up in dining room after meals. I'm sure if you had a dog crate your dog would choose to be in it rather than with this rough mindee.
    Mine did too as she was old, I agree the crate may be the best idea if you have no where else to separate the dog in the winter.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure about winter. I have a seperate front room but its a matter of relying on the kids not to let the dog out and remembering to let him out to pee!

sept 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't use my upstairs for Minding so my dog stays up there. He's not locked children do not go upstairs so don't have access to him and I keep doors shut downstairs to keep him away from children. He very rarely has access. Although to be honest my own daughter is quite rough with him so he's got used to it and has learnt to walk away

jan 85
    Post Thanks / Like

Like other replies on here I keep my dog in the utility room behind a gate so they can see what's happening and still be away from annoying littlies! Dog's friendly but bouncy and I wouldn't like them to knock a lo down with their enthusiasm, let alone anything else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast