Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's so unfair

Registered Childminder since
    Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default It's so unfair

Just needing a moan! I've only got one pre school mindee part time at the moment and can't see me getting another one any time soon have had school enquiries but none for pre school. Another minder in my area is currently working 50 hours, has an assistant and is always full - I just want to say to her to stop being so greedy and send some my way

Doesn't help there's a private nursery just along the road from me. I just need to have patience but feel like I've done everything I can and I'm just doomed lol. I think it's just because I've been reading on Facebook that others in the area are now full and I ask myself why I'm not full, or even half full!!

Meh!!

Jan 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi not sure that the other childminder is being greedy. Maybe she is really good at what she is doing and that is why she is so popular. Childminding is a business at the end of the day but some childminders have well deserved excellent reputations. Dont be so sure that you won't be getting anymore business any time soon. I would also check out the competition and see what they are offering and if it is very different from yours. Also have you thought about joining a childminding group and becoming friends with other childminders in your areas. Apart from the support, they would be more likely to refer parents to you if they have no vacancies if they know you to recommend. Childminding is so competitive in some areas and things like space, pets, resources, garden, personality, access to transport and the Ofsted reports all make a difference to parents making a childminding decision. Hope you find more work soon.

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What are you doing by way of advertising?
    Leaflets/business cards in shops - have you checked they're still up (not unknown for them to be removed)
    Schools - most have some form of community folder particularly for parents seeking childcare, have you got your details with them?
    FIS - have you updated it recently? With ours, each time you update, you go to the top of the list, useful at this time of the year
    childcare.co.uk - have you checked what parents are looking for in your area? If you see someone that suits, it's well worth paying to be able to message them. If you gain someone their fees more than cover the expense (there is also a member discount available in the green area so that makes it a bit cheaper)

It took me a whole year to fill my spaces, but this could change on a dime so still keep on top of my advertising

Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Isabel View Post
    Hi not sure that the other childminder is being greedy. Maybe she is really good at what she is doing and that is why she is so popular.
    I was joking and just meant she could say she doesn't have space and not take on an assistant

She is very good at what she does! We don't have a childminding group here but I do know a few of the other minders in town (there are 14 of us in a pretty small town). We have a group on Facebook where we post any enquiries we can't take on so everyone has a chance instead of only certain people being recommended.

I'm in Scotland so no ofsted and I don't have any reports as not been inspected yet.

5. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddleywinks View Post
    What are you doing by way of advertising?
    Leaflets/business cards in shops - have you checked they're still up (not unknown for them to be removed)
    Schools - most have some form of community folder particularly for parents seeking childcare, have you got your details with them?
    FIS - have you updated it recently? With ours, each time you update, you go to the top of the list, useful at this time of the year
    childcare.co.uk - have you checked what parents are looking for in your area? If you see someone that suits, it's well worth paying to be able to message them. If you gain someone their fees more than cover the expense (there is also a member discount available in the green area so that makes it a bit cheaper)

It took me a whole year to fill my spaces, but this could change on a dime so still keep on top of my advertising
    I'm on childcare.co.uk but very few local parents on there and the ones that are haven't logged in for months.

I've got flyers in shops but going to go back round this week and put more up. I've contacted the schools and they said they don't keep that information!! I'm also on Facebook, google places, yell.com etc etc so I come up when childcare in the area is googled.

I was just needing a wee moan really as it gets you down when you know other minders are full and you're not. I usually just get parents who arrange to come visit and don't hear from them again or ask for info when they don't even need care!
    Last edited by sprinkles; 31-08-2013 at 07:30 AM.

7. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    May '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am struggling to fill my vacancies. I have lost two schoolers and one mindee will be starting FT school in sept and despite childcare.co.uk, *****, FIS and word of mouth I have only managed to sign one mindee for a tenner a week. Going to be down over 150 a week

Fingers and toes crossed for all of us with vacancies to fill.

Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zoomie View Post
    I am struggling to fill my vacancies. I have lost two schoolers and one mindee will be starting FT school in sept and despite childcare.co.uk, *****, FIS and word of mouth I have only managed to sign one mindee for a tenner a week. Going to be down over 150 a week

Fingers and toes crossed for all of us with vacancies to fill.
    Fingers crossed for you!! I only have one mindee three days a week and her sister after school. Mum is doing childcare at college and thinks her placement is going to be at the local private nursery so my fear is that she's going to take little one away from me and put her there and eldest will go to after school club leaving me with none at all!

Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

This time last year I was in a similar position only one child after school all five days only £40 a week. It was like that for September and October. Because I am a member of a network I had a child placed with me for 15 hours a week on a 12 week placement for ss she is still with me now under 2 year funding. Again in the November I then had a before and after school child start and then in the December I had a child come for 7 hours a day all 5 days term time only so I soon picked up. This is why I put money away in the good times t o cover the bad spells.

Deb
    Children are born with wings we help them to fly.

sep 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate to tempt fate with my bad luck recently lol BUT luckily I am full at the moment and turning families away

A childminder friend of mine is desperate for work and i always mention her to families looking for care.

I also mentioned to her that maybe if she got out and about and was seen she may get more work. I'm not saying you dont! I live in a very small village and it surprised me to find out lots of locals thought mindees were my own children. I go to toddler group, jo jingles and soft play most weeks.

I find I get lots of enquiries because parents see me with mindees and know the sort of care I offer.

Hope you find work very soon, good luck x

12. Likes Chatterbox Childcare liked this post
    Sept 11
    Post Thanks / Like

It seems really slow round me at the moment. I need the equivalent of a full timer due to losing some after school (going to secondary) & a baby due to parents change in circumstances. I had an enquiry & went to pick her up so she could look round and her husband had the car. When I took her home she said she definitely wanted to use me so we arranged to do contracts the following week after my few days away. Next day she texted me to say she was using someone else who offered a more flexible contract. I was bemused as I'd agreed to everything she'd asked for - and I could have done what the other minder offered if she'd said that was what she wanted. So so upset, I really need the money. I feel worse now than I did before the enquiry - she'd got my hopes up that things were improving & that we'd be able to manage, so the let down & stress when she changed her mind was terrible.

I love my job but I actually need the money too!

Here's hoping we all get the contracts we need soon.

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

don't worry sprinkles, you'll get there. At least you are getting school enquiries. When you're in the playground the parents will get used to seeing your face and probably just before christmas you'll start getting enquiries that way.
    Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

I dont have any yet. I had a schoolie for a few days last week for the holidays but thats it. Im away for 2 weeks in october getting marri

Post Thanks / Like

I dont have any yet. I had a schoolie for a few days last week for the holidays but thats it. Im away for 2 weeks in october getting married. Knowing my luck all the enquiries will come through then! Hope it picks up for us both soon. I too advertise on *****, pay for childcare.co.uk, have adverts in the P.O and a magnet on my car, have a facebook page and come up on google places if you google childcare and my area. X

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations x

It'll come, don't stress too much.

Oct 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah yes i know that feeling! Back in december i had noone for over a month and felt like giving up! Then all of a sudden i had enquired from 4 children! Its the nature of the job, i have gotten to know all the local minders too so we pass on whoevers details that has a space. Get to know the other childminders esp if they are full so when they get a call they can send them straight to you! X

June 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I had an enquiry last week, mum was really keen and days were perfect. Had a great convo on phone but then I let it slip I was newly registered. I thought it better go be honest. She clammed up, rushed of the phone and haven't heard from her since. I was gutted and felt as if I'd been discriminated against hahaha maybe I would want an established minder if I was looking for care. It made me feel that every parent would have that reaction.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My advice to anyone is advertise, network with others and don't give any details out over the phone. Get the parents to you, sell yourself and let them decide

Sprinkles if you are struggling network with the minders who are full
    Debbie

21. Likes ziggy liked this post
    Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

I do speak to quite a few of the other minders in the town but as I said we have a group on Facebook where all enquiries we can't take on are posted so everyone gets the chance.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It can be so tough to get started. I can remember when i first registered I really struggled to get any work, while all the other childminders seemed to be full. It didn't help that I lived slightly further out of time than the others & there wasn't really a need for childminders in my area. If I did get any calls passed on it was the rubbish work that no one else wanted!

I just kept going to groups with my own children & made friends with the nicest childminder. I gave her a bit of a sob story about not being able to get work & she passed my name on for the next call she got! It turned out to be the start of me getting work and now I rarely have vacancies & am often turning work away.

It does take time, but stick with it and you'll get their in the end

jul 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

it'll pick up x don't worry. this time last year I had a full time mindee that moved away and another start full time school leaving me with 1 mindee and the LO at after school.!! Within a few weeks I was inundated and now I have 15 mindees ,a mixture of full, parttime ,afterschool and weekends ranging from a tiny baby to 9yr olds.Your time will come.Good advice already given .Look around at what everyone else is offering,make sure you're not overpriced,see what offers you can do.Look at what you include in the price compared to others locally.I'm probably the cheapest childminder in town even though I am the most experienced with a great reputation I could charge more but I looked at the big picture and decided I would rather be full and well thought of than charge too much and have virtually no children like some in my area.
    my hivis vests have been my best advert,borrow your friends kids and dress them in hi vis ,take them everywhere you can think of and be ready to hand out your business cards x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast