Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Only happy when on computer

It continues to sadden me when certain mindees measure their days with me by the distance to the next time they can go on computer.
    I don't understand it. They have so many brilliant activities on offer here to engage them yet nothing compares with the long engagement with the sodding screen - even if it is just paint programme or google earth.
    Is it just plain addiction do you think?
    I must say it starts at five up and seems connected with schoolies.
    'It's never too late to have a happy childhood' ( Tom Robinson)

Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeap I have the same here, plus with my own 4 kids. Thankfully as there are normally so many people here anyhow then it's fairly self policing as noone gets too long on it, but it does annoy me. I have dragged them out just to get them away from the screen (or the Wii which is not quite so bad but still totally all encompassing). It's a shame as there are so many things to do here but they just aren't engaged if they want to just play on the pc/Wii.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We were talking about this one at group recently. Some children seem to have forgotten how to play

Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you think it's the mesmeric effect of the screen? Some people are hooked on tv and it seems to leech out their creativity and drive. Maybe this is the same with comp exposure....
    'It's never too late to have a happy childhood' ( Tom Robinson)

Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

I heard a good idea once on a forum somewhere:

Do a 'screen free week'. For children this means absolutely no screens from Monday morning wake up to Friday school finish time.

I think I could so that very easily, with a lot of forward planning on ways to divert attention. My DS is almost 5 he likes to play cbeebies games on laptop an iPad but were talking once a week for an hour or so, TV is touch and go, some days he wants it on all the time, others he doesn't even ask.

Apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like

We have a 10 minute sand timer - when its up its someone elses turn and time to find something else to do

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

This has been the first summer holidays (in 14 years) when the children I mind have wanted to play games on ipad/pod/whatever. My husband calls them digital natives - even 3 year olds are able play a game on a screen. The bad is that if allowed they would be on it too much plus how do they learn to hold a pencil properly if they are used to touching a screen rather than drawing and colouring in. The good is that it is as good as a board game in that they play together (on the whole) and learn strategies and hand/eye co-ordination. Balance is the key!

I would rather they were in the garden all day....

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

My 3 year old mindie has her own tablet. My DS was 10 before he got one. He is computer literate but not to bothered about playing games. Has a WII and a DS but doesn't play on them that much, its fits and starts

jan 95
    Post Thanks / Like

I've just finished the second week of no computer games at all. We have watched a couple of films on tv. The first day they still talked about games, but that soon wore off, and within 3 days the games weren't even mentioned.

aug 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

In all my years of minding I can honestly say I have allowed tv on 2 , once for a just last week for a 18 year old with mind of 8 year old this was a friends daughter and she was here just 3 days and brought her Disney DVD , another last summer again a mindee asked could they have a DVD day and as she was leaving to go high school . I state when parent makes contact I do not have tv on if they don't like this I will not be offended if they look for someone else. Had new family start this week mum mentioned children liked tv on told her I don't she said maybe kids won't mind as they have come from nursery and don't have it there, the children have never mentioned tv all week and mum is delighted

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not fussed if they want the tv, computer, iPad etc on but to be honest it's a rare moment when they do,never really thought about it. we just always seem to be busy doing other things. Three years plus get involved in planning so they are always looking forward to doing what they have picked. The computer stuff seems to be when activities are quiet and they want time to chill.

jan 85
    Post Thanks / Like

We have tv on before school as first ones come at 6am. I'm sorry but I'm not doing craft activities that early. I'm barely awake, and neither are they, and my family aren't either. I'm generally not in a position to supervise them as I have things to do and get ready for the rest of the day.

After the school run we watch Bubble Guppies as I have to eat, do blood tests and take medication and this distracts the little ones from me so I can concentrate - however, whatever the theme on Bubble Guppies is is what we do afterwards. They had Post Offices the other day and we got boxes to make parcels, sticky tape, scales, stamps, envelopes etc etc te los love to recreate the scenario they've just watched so I'm happy to use it as a learning tool.

We have tv on after school too - quite often it's Sky Sports! After-schoolies are often brain dead and need to just chill. Craft activities are available as are board games, and garden, it's their choice. At this time I'll usually be spoon feeding a baby, and cutting veggie and fruit snacks up for everyone, never do it in advance as their tastes change all the time, they see what I have available and choose, I prepare it as kitchen is wee and there's no room. Some get on with homework and some just chat to me.

Computer games don't exist in my house - I'll be interested what Mrs O says at my Inspection about this.
    I don't have a Wii, used to have one but wildly waving arms with the wands nearly felled a toddler, and I found the noise levels overwhelming and as we only have 1 tv it was limiting if you didn't want to do it. It only took the kids a week to grieve their loss, they all play when they get home anyway. And guess what - they started to talk to each other again instead of "AArrrggghh you put me off".
    I have a laptop - don't let mindees use it unless for homework, under my nose and with restrictions in place. Pre-schoolers and I use it to look things up but no games, and no free access - it's mine and children are careless and I don't want it broken. I'm teaching respect for other people's possessions.
    My los all use their parents phones, ipads and other tablets and have PS3's, X boxes, Wii's at home.2 of my 3 year olds have their own Ipads. 3year olds !!!!!!!! One 3 yr old put her hand palm up to me the other day when I asked her to go and wash her hands for lunch and told me " D, you'll have to wait I'm on the phone".
    I understand the need for children to be computer literate, I get it that technology is important, but as some one on here just pointed out - children are forgetting how to just play and amuse themselves, and their use of pens isn't helped by touch screens nor their spelling by predictive text.

Oh dear - this is a bit long!
    Sorry!

Post Thanks / Like

I've only been minding a year & not had this but with my mindees, but as a parent I've had my kids invite friends round who will then want to sit at a computer on their own the whole time they're here, much to my kids dismay! In my experience it's the ones who have limited screen time - it's also the same with my nephew who has extremely limited screen time, he's on computer games 90% of the time when he comes to visit in the holidays. My niece has limited screen time but isn't as bothered, she'll have a go for an hour or so then want to do something else, so it's alot to do with the individual children too I think (they're twins!)

I don't limint it with my kids & had no problem with one, the other wanted to be on them an awful lot of the time, so we went out alot & met up with firends and that always distracted her from them. (I've always encouraged breaks etc. but not limited screen time)

I think if I had this with mindees I would let them use the computer/games etc but then take them out alot as a distraction so they get regular breaks. You could always say it's been over-heating or something so you need to turn it off every hour for 20/30 mins!

sep 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I only have a laptop which is for my use only. TV is a treat but my little ones never ask for it. We have dvd's on some days in playroom but not that often.

BUT i had my 15 yr old grandaughter here for 3 weeks this summer and she is addicted (if that's the right word). She was chatting online till 4am most nights, her mother said this is allowed in holidays as she trusts her.

We have always had a great relationship but I found this summer so frustrating. I took 2 or the 3 weeks off work and what a complete waste that was!!!!. She didnt want to go out at all, we have lovely beaches 10mins away, but all she wanted to do was sit in her room (curtains and windows closed) sitting with her laptop.

It concerns me how children are losing the ability to play

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post

BUT i had my 15 yr old grandaughter here for 3 weeks this summer and she is addicted (if that's the right word). She was chatting online till 4am most nights, her mother said this is allowed in holidays as she trusts her.

We have always had a great relationship but I found this summer so frustrating. I took 2 or the 3 weeks off work and what a complete waste that was!!!!. She didnt want to go out at all, we have lovely beaches 10mins away, but all she wanted to do was sit in her room (curtains and windows closed) sitting with her laptop.

It concerns me how children are losing the ability to play

Till 4am! That first week back to school is going to be thought to get out of the nocturnal cycle.!

My daughter is 14, and I recognise your post, although about 11 is as late as we normally get. I usually give a two minute warning, then turn the Internet box off. I have even thought about taking the box out with me for day trips so it could not be used during the day the home.

Teenagers and facebook/Internet do my head in!

Kirstie

16. Likes ziggy liked this post
    May 11
    Post Thanks / Like

My ds is 11 and would be at a screen all day if allowed. About 6 months ago he was really struggling to get to sleep at night and was caught on at least 2 occasions getting up after we were in bed playing on his ipod, each time he was banned from using any computer type things for a period of time. While he wasn't using them he started sleeping better, became much less moody and was a much nicer boy to live with!! Since then we have very strict time limits on computer time (45 mins on a school day and 2 hrs at weekend) and they must have at least 1 day every week without. Computers are not used after 5 pm too. Dd goes by these rules too. Not sure how this is going to work as they get older though!

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have noticed with my older children (DD10 and DS8) that if I allow them to spend lots of time watching TV (have had to do this because of ill health in the past) then they seem to lose the ability to play and occupy themselves without lots of input from me. When they then have some screen-free time they miraculously get better at amusing themselves (alone or together), although it takes a day or so to get to this point.