Showing diversity & multiculture
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Showing diversity & multiculture

I'm going to be labelling all my boxes this weekend. I've taken pictures of the inside of the boxes & will write underneath what's inside.
    From other people's posts I've gathered ofsted like to see different languages being used so I wanted to label in a different language too.

My brother in law is Turkish & my boys are starting to learn the language.
    I've a bit of a dilemma..... I've not got any kids where English is their second language but a lot of children at the local primary are polish. Should I use polish as the second language on my boxes as its such a common language used in the village and some of my ds' friends are polish. Or should I label with Turkish.

I had thought about doing both but it would be so confusing for children who are just starting to recognise English words if there's loads of different languages on each box.

Or..... Should I just leave it with the English spelling?

Wow essay lol

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the same dilemma although very few non-English speaking children generally within my area so will be interested to see what the good forum members suggest.

Could you ask your DO - if you still have one?

Sam x

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would'nt as I don't have any children with english as a second language, so would be lost in the children I have, remember diversity can just be an image for those children who cannot read or have english as a second language. as they will know what is in the boxes from the pictures and the words in English will reinforce their learning, and if at school reinforce what they are learning there. A welcome poster in Different languages may be a good idea.

4. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I second sharonmanc. I show diversity in my pictures, toys and books. We go out and about in the community and learn about other cultures that way.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

What I did:

Labelled all boxes in English with pic.

Use same picture to make a 'toy catalogue' but do a catalogue for English, Turkish and polish. Laminate the catalogue so they don't get ruined. They look so nice once done, and really not alot of effort once you have the pictures ready anyway.

My son is learning Turkish from in laws, its a lovely language IMO.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    Cheshire
    Post Thanks / Like

Iv done English then polish on my boxes but only because i will have two polish children here in Sept and I've got a few polish and English books.
    A world map is a good thing to have on the wall if you have space? I did a few pictures of polish sweets we have tried and places we have been on holiday.

Not sure what else we can do! anyone else got any suggestions which ofsted might like??

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I do the written word and that is English with a photo of the boxes contents. Nowhere does it say that you have to have other languages, please correct me if I am wrong. It doesn't matter what language you speak you can see and understand via the photo's (unless you are blind and then you cannot read the writing anyway!)

If this was followed and you do turkish, what happens when a Spanish child starts? Do you do them all again? I think not

I would give it another think...
    Debbie

9. Likes Dragonfly liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

http://www.practicalpreschoolbooks.c...0000000434.pdf

Good ideas here for diversity.

Being aware of different cultures ideas: music is always a good starting point - I have used this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/World-Playgr.../dp/B00000JT4P

Good range of music from different cultures that you can listen, dance, play instruments alongside etc.. Having musical instruments from other countries helps here too.

Good books by UNICEF - 'Children around the world' plus:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Playtime-Aro...ound+the+world

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Life-Like-Mi...ound+the+world

For Every Child: Amazon.co.uk: Various: Books

But OFSTED always want to see ordinary fiction books showing a diverse range of characters; from different ethnic backgrounds, disabled, SEN, from different family groups etc..

Home corner role play can have wok, rice basket, balti bowls, sushi dishes etc..

Photos of a walk out to different places of worship, if you have any in your locality, inspires talk.

I think if you have a range of resources- this will show far more that you are developing awareness than labels.

Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got loads of other stuff books, pictures, world maps,musical instruments from around the world, dressing up etc.

I've been discussing this with local cm's and it seems most of them have had this mentioned on inspections.

I know its not a requirement & ive got lots of other things showing diversity. But it's not going to take me long to do & will hopefully be 1 more thing that will keep mrs o happy when she comes for my 1st grading.

I like the idea of seperate books

Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chatterbox Childcare View Post
    I do the written word and that is English with a photo of the boxes contents. Nowhere does it say that you have to have other languages, please correct me if I am wrong. It doesn't matter what language you speak you can see and understand via the photo's (unless you are blind and then you cannot read the writing anyway!)

If this was followed and you do turkish, what happens when a Spanish child starts? Do you do them all again? I think not

I would give it another think...
    Nobody said we HAVE to do it, but its nice especially when your own children are learning the language, which is what is happening with the Turkish.