Thread: Oh goodness :(

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Oh goodness :(

Not having a good week at all
    I now have my first parent refusing to pay.
    Text her yesterday reminding her and she didn't answer
    Her son left last week and she owes me £90. Today it was supposed to be transferred by her into my bank, not a sign of it.
    Tried to call her but no reply. Text her saying the £90 has not gone into my bank which she replied to saying I sent it this morning. I telephoned my bank who said there was no transaction made today and as far as they could see there were no pending trasactions either and to call them back tomorrow.
    Telephoned parent and told her this and asked her to check her end and she gave me a speech which was so rehersed and cold and calculated that it chilled me and I thought oh god no, you've done this before and know exactly what you're saying! She said I couldn't contact her tomorrow as she was at work and anyway it had send as far as she's concerned so that's the end of it. She also said your insurance won't cover this so there's nothing you can do. It made me think she's definitely done this or something like this before
    What do I do? I've been in tears all night, never had this before and it's shook me. Also she's a friend too (not a close one) which makes it worse!
    Am I right in thinking that mm won't touch owed money cases under a certain amount? Should I contact the police as my partner suggested as its technically theft? Or do I just let it go (which I can't really afford to do) and chalk it up to experience?
    I feel so upset and down and it's really making me wonder if I can carry on childminding because I can't deal with things like this without getting upset and taking it personally
    Kelly xx

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

What an animal that says "Moo"!

It does sound like she has done it before and is so out of order.

All I can say is in future take payment in advance. If you do that already put in terms to your contract that allow you to withhold care until payment is made.

Sending Hugs!

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

ring mm tomorrow. i thought if it was a low amount they would cover you. they will also advise you on a letter to write her asking for the money which should get her to pay up.

good luck honey xx
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

She may be saying insurance won't cover you to make you think it's not worth trying. Definitely call MM and find out and then go from there. Hugs, what a horrible situation to be in.

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Mm will sort it out, friend had the same, mm paid out on insurance.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't let her fool you - you have the option to take her to the small claims court. Make sure your contracts are air tight first though, all signed and dated correctly etc..
    Debbie

Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, CANNOT sleep, how pathetic am I lol?!
    And now stressing that I'll be too tired tomorrow on top of this stress. Ugh, bad day! Still feeling down but hoping tomorrows a better day
    Good to know mm will support this if needed, I just had a horrible thought that someone had once said they don't deal with low amounts, but £90 is £90
    I just know she's not going to pay it, or at least willingly from her attitude. I mean, how would she know about insurance and what they cover? And about bank transfers to childminders and the ins and outs of them? She must have done it before or looked into it which means it was planned, and she never intends to pay me
    If I don't end up getting it back it has definitely taught me NEVER to accept payment in arrears, such a shame I've had to learn it this way and put honest decent parents in a situation where they're paying before they get their childcare but I can't go through this again. Honestly haven't eaten all day and have a feeling I won't be sleeping a wink tonight. Can't believe anyone can be so deliberately cruel as to put someone else through this for the sake of saving themselves some money
    Kelly xx

Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

No payment in bank today not a big surprise though
    Will phone insurance company later, can't believe I'm having to do this! I feel weird like I'm dreaming or its not really happening.
    I know it does happen, parents don't pay but I didn't think it would happen to me. It's only £90 but its more the principle that someone has effectively stolen from your business that I didn't realise hurts the most!
    Kelly xx

Oct 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you have late payment policy? I charge £5 per day its late (soon chases parent up!) i came up with this after a parent i had was always late paying xx hope you can sort it

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Im sorry to hear you are having trouble n I hope mm help you out x

When you explain about paying in advance rather than arrears compare yourself to any other service or shop x you have to pay before you receive your 'goods'.

You dont collect your food shop and say I will come back and pay for what I actually eat with reductions for any waste.

If you are confident when explaining to parents they will usually go with it x although there will always be just one x

Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh god oh god oh god!!
    Tried to ring mum to say we'll have no further contact and I'll hand it over to mm, no answer so I text it to which she replied
    The money has gone out of my account so that's the end of it as far as I'm concerned. Phone your insurance, and I'll be filing a report against you to OFSTED?!!?!
    What do I do, I'm so scared she'll do this out of spite!
    Kelly xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd tell Ofsted you've received that text, and KEEP THE TEXT!!!

Ofsted get this all the time, please don't panic.

13. Likes ziggy, watgem liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Calm down xx ofsted arent interested in money disputes xx

Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh my god I literally don't believe this is happening. Crying my eyes out and due to start work in ten mins!
    I'm shaking, this is the worst thing that's happened to me. Cannot believe this!!
    Kelly xx

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Seriously have a cuppa n try n relax x ofsted know parents make malicious complaints at times x im sure it will easily be settled x

Post Thanks / Like

Try no to panic, it's very early, you need to check your account later, transactions don't usually show until after 9am, and depending on the bank can take 3 days to transfer.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kellyskidz! View Post
    Oh god oh god oh god!!
    Tried to ring mum to say we'll have no further contact and I'll hand it over to mm, no answer so I text it to which she replied
    The money has gone out of my account so that's the end of it as far as I'm concerned. Phone your insurance, and I'll be filing a report against you to OFSTED?!!?!
    What do I do, I'm so scared she'll do this out of spite!
    It's an idle threat and one that will get her absolutely nowhere! Ofsted will be on your side even if she does try it. Don't let her get away with it, you have proof in text that she knows she should pay you and from your bank that she hasn't.

Maybe this debt recovery thread will help you

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/fo...ebt-letter.pdf

19. Likes watgem liked this post
    Nov 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

She's calling your bluff.
    Send a reply saying "Go ahead.And I'll be taking you to the small claims court". keep all communications between yourself and her.
    £90 is a weeks shopping.
    As others have said-she's done it before and probably got away with it-don't let her this time.
    Oh and she's definitely NOT a friend.
    ...by the way......don't know if this is ethical or not but in our area we pass on names of non-payers to other minders so they are aware of them if they ask for childcare....

Nov 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

...this job certainly toughens you up when it comes to non-payers!

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Stop texting and ringing her and start putting everything in writing - follow Sarah's advice in the post below.

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/fo...ry-letter.html

From now on say to all existing parents that you are very sorry but due to a parent refusing to pay that you are now forced to insist on payment in advance or to hold a deposit to cover against people who have done as this parent has done. You can get them to pay a little bit extra each month that goes into a deposit account to protect you against this happening again.

Hope MM can help you - you could ring Ofsted and warn them that this threat has been made - and tell her that you have notified Ofsted and they are looking forward to her call! £90 doesn't seem like a lot of money - but it's 2 pairs of kids school shoes, a weeks shopping bill and above all you have earnt it.

23. Likes watgem, DAWN44 liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast