Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default No pants potty train theory

A parent has asked me to accommodate request for her lo to wear no underwear for 3 months, to support new potty training regime. No pants for 3 months?!?
    Anyone know about it!?
    I have said no as I need her to wear pants - 1/hygiene if her nappy area exposed she sits on floor etc.
    2/ not appropriate for other children to see her nappy area
    Am I being too harsh?!?

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

No No No No No!!!!

You are right.

We are childcare settings and we cannot have children running around with no pants on for hygiene reasons (not to mention unrestricted wee flowing on to your floors).

And she has to be covered for your own protection as it could leave you open to accusations even though the parent has given you permission.

Does she want you to stay at home for 3 months while the child has no clothes on the lower half?????

3. Likes watgem liked this post
    Dec 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say the same as you
    Angela x
    Owner of a static holiday caravan in Paignton

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

I would agree with the others x if the mum wants no pants for 3months she needs to organise leave from work for that duration. she wouldnt ask a nursery to do this for the same reasons. its inappropriate.

6. Likes watgem liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a parent make a similar request (not for 3 months though!) I said no too! My reasons were the same as yours but I was also I was worried about the fact that I may be leaving my husband and son (even though he's only 11) vulnerable to accusations.

Cathy x.

8. Likes watgem liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep I've been asked this in the past too and said no for all those reasons.

You are right to say No.

xxxx

10. Likes watgem liked this post
    Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everybody! I thought so but so good to get some support.
    I hadn't thought about the safeguarding issue so thank you for bringing that to my attention
    X x

12. Likes watgem liked this post
    Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

My rule is, potty train in clothes otherwise you have to train. Them twice. It should only take a few days and almost a week any longer and they are not ready, best to go back to nappy and try again in a couple of weeks.

14. Likes watgem, AliceK, rickysmiths liked this post
    jan 85
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with every one of the comments but what about the biggest one I can think of - There's no way I'm taking a child to the shops, park or on the school run with a naked bottom half!! Yet- if you're doing no pants then it's no pants anywhere, not just in your house. Ask her if she would take her child outin public with no pants on.

16. Likes Wheelybug, rickysmiths liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If child is ready then potty training should only take about a week of staying home close to potty - most of my mindees are part time so I just tell parents to start for example Thur, Fri, Sat & Sun and not go out at all and then I will carry on where they left off on the Monday! For full time parents I would expect them to take a few days off to start training. Have never heard anything so silly as no pants for 3 months!

18. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry just to clarify!

Parent wants child to wear no underwear for 3 months. So if she is wearing shorts quite likely her nappy area will be exposed, especially when sitting..

Also this child does have a tendency to fiddle about with the area ...if u know what I mean!

So it's still a no all round from me
    Also thought this little girl has had infection there from said area. So another reason for no- cotton rubbing on nappy area.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

To compromise tell mum to have a few 'pulling up and down pants' lessons with child. I did this with my son before potty training and it made all the difference that he was confident pulling his trousers and pants up and down.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by charlottenash View Post
    To compromise tell mum to have a few 'pulling up and down pants' lessons with child. I did this with my son before potty training and it made all the difference that he was confident pulling his trousers and pants up and down.
    Agree with this, I look after a little one who is nearly 2 1/2 - thinking about starting to potty train in September when he gets back from his holiday, however this little boy is very lazy and won't attempt to do things for himself - sometimes he just sits with his lunch in front of him and won't attempt to pick up spoon or his cup (if it doesn't have lid on) - so I have started not pulling his trousers up after I have changed his nappy and encouraging him to try to pull them up by himself. This is surely a vital skill to learn before starting potty training!

22. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

The family are lovely and are starting to use pants.
    It does just make me feel frustrated when we've just coming back from nearly 3 weeks holiday and they start potty training in this way with less than 6 days to go.
    Sorry bit of a moan!

PRE-REG
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you need to share with the parent the new government campaign about encouraging children to wear pants at all times.. She can have undie free time at home if the parents choose that method but with you its draws up i'm afraid.. And thats coming from a childminding mum of a currently potty training 2 1/2 yr old son who wet 5 lots of clothes today!! (but we put new pants on straight away!!)

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Why would it take 3 months! Sounds like a bad theory/plan if it takes this long. 1 week is enough time. And yes pants stay on.

Oct 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Fine it heir own home but definitely not in mine! Like others have said I would just emphasise the fairly major hygiene, safeguarding and limitatns to taking other children out issues!

Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Good idea to share the pants is private campaign! Ill do that

One accident so far in the car. She is doing well but can't pull pants/trousers up or down.. But it's eat days

Thanks for your help all

sep 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I potty trained two mindees a few months ago. I was advised years ago that boys do better wearing boxers or shorts rather than tight pants.

So first week J wore shorts with nothing on underneath. He had poo accident on cream carpet and it took ages to remove stain on cream carpet.

And surely if child doesnt wear anything will they always be aware they are wet?

Sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to disagree (please don't shoot me!) but perhaps it's because I have just gone through this as a parent and as a Childminder.

I have just potty trained 3 mindees (2, 2 and 3) and I have always used this technique with my own 2 boys. Children can use the potty without asking and get used to being independent right from the start.

I understand all the concerns but as a Childminder I feel we can be more flexible with this type of request than a nursery and that's what Childminding is all about. If it's done at the right time only takes a matter of 1-2 weeks. I use pants in public by the way, just in case anyone was wondering! And a long t-shirt can hide a lot

30. Likes dette, nemo97 liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast