Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Sep 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Need help with letter please

Hi everyone, I'm a new Childminder and not sure if the below letter sounds ok to send to a parent, I have a lot of problems with her, so upset with her. Also she works for a montesorri nursery, so she thinks she can do what she likes and talks with me without any manner and the end of the day she does not stick with the contract hours.

Thanks for your help.

Dear xxxxx,

Just to recap on what we have discussed on Friday the 02 August 2013 and to clarify any misunderstandings. We will only change Friday’s hours for this summer holiday only and we must rigidly stick to the contracted hours for the rest of the time. This enables everyone to have a clear understanding of what is expected on both parties in the agreement, also that my insurance covers the kids and myself. The reason we have contracts in place is, so that we can provide daily/weekly childcare provision and in order for us to do our planning, also protect both parties in legal matters. Ofsted also provide us with legal back up, if necessary with combining contracts, anything out of contracts will not be legal also will not be insured. Also, I am afraid we not insured to have your children out of contract hours and it is not my job to make alternative arrangements. I will of course help out whenever I can within my numbers or to find you someone else to help out if you were to request me to help, but it is certainly not part of our contract for me to find alternative arrangements for your childcare needs outside of those we agreed. For example we would not expect other parents to change their contracts, if it impacted on the care that we provide for xxxxxxx. Renegotiating a contract is acceptable, but it may require me to reassess my hourly rate and if it is possible to change the hours, as I have limited space and I have new customers starting in September. Every Friday this summer holiday starting on the 09th August 2013 xxxxx will be dropped off at 08am and picked up at 4pm = 9 hours. The total for xxxxxx every week will be £xxxxxx Is that correct? My other minded children are dropped off before 08:00, so that we make breakfast a social and emotional experience for all of them, which as you know, is a very important part of they're learning experience. I am sure in the nursery you have set times too to give breakfast and routines to follow too. I always try to have friendly approach yet professional relationships with my parents. I am a little disappointed in your manner towards me, which I feel has been somewhat patronising. Please remember that I am providing a service for which you pay for, I am not working “ for “ you. I work for many other families also. I am very sorry that you not agreeing with our arrangements on Friday’s as it is out of the contract hours you have requested and I do not appreciate to be threatened not have xxxxx here on Friday’s, because you cannot stick to the contract hours. Considering all the lovely outings we provided and all the hard work I have put in that xxxxx and xxxxxx feel part of our group. I have even taken xxxxxx to the zoo for free for the day and that included her meals that she can feel she is part of our group. Waiting lists in and around this area are quite extensive as we have to meet strict regulations with Ofsted and the County Council, this has made a shortage of good, professional, affordable childcare and quite frankly we feel that we have been more than flexible with you and your daughter’s needs. I do hope that we can come to an amicable solution here as we feel that xxxxx is part of our setting as she enjoys the company of other children and the routines that have become part of her daily life. She has made a lot of development progress here too. You can reply via email or you more than welcome to come over Sunday to discuss this letter further, just let me know what time you can come?

Best regards,
    Last edited by FussyElmo; 04-08-2013 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Removing children names

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally I think you have made it too personal and mentioned feelings too much. I will have a go at rewriting it if you like? X

Post Thanks / Like

Can I ask why you are writing the letter. Have you had a problem. Any contracted hours, even if they change should be in the "contract"
    Mandy xx

Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing that really stuck out that I think you need to change is the bit where you wrote- I am not working 'for' you. I also work for other families.
    Kind of contradicts itself

Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Also agree its far too personal. I think you should keep out of the letter how you feel about it & stick to the facts

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Im a little confused to why you are writing it.

Are Fridays a contracted day or not - or is Friday a contracted day and she wants to change.

I would remove any comments about Ofsted because they will not support you in any legal way.
    Ofsted also provide us with legal back up, if necessary with combining contracts, anything out of contracts will not be legal also will not be insured.
    Make it very short to the point remove any emotion from it.

Let us know if you need any help
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Sep 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I had problems with her, she does not stick with the hours as per contract. Now she wants to change Fridays she is suppose to drop her child off at 09:00 but they want to change it now to 08:15 and I said she can drop her child at 08:00 and she is not happy about that and saying she is not going to have her child here on Fridays. She also did want to change Wednesdays for the summer holiday cut two hours and I said no as it is not in the contract.

If the letter is too much, can you please kindly help to put a letter together to send to her please?

Thanks

Sep 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Fridays is a contracted day but they keep changing their hours and last Friday they pull a fast one, drop their child here at 08:15 and said they emailed me, but I have not received the email, that is how it started. That is why I just need to send her letter to remind her we need to stick by the hours and contract.

Also it is two sisters here the one sister is a lot older. so I only have her term time only, but I took her to the zoo for free that that she feels she is part of our group last week.

Thanks xxx
    Last edited by Chello; 04-08-2013 at 03:40 PM.

Sep 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gail Tracey View Post
    Personally I think you have made it too personal and mentioned feelings too much. I will have a go at rewriting it if you like? X
    Yes please I need help with the letter. Thank you kindly xx

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm replying on the assumption that you asked the question and therefore want a straight answer. If you happen to be one of those members who "take offense" where none was intended, just because I don't agree 100% then please stop reading now.

OK, so you're still with me.

Frankly, I'm struggling to understand much of what I see. It would certainly help to know the situation/back-story.

There are some seriously inaccurate or false statements in there that you cannot back up and which can only undermine your case. As Fussy has already made clear, we have no right to make claim that we have "legal back up" from Ofsted (not in any sense I understand). CMing outside of normal contracted hours is widely practised; it is referred to as "ad hoc" care and it is both perfectly legal and completely covered by any decent CM insurance policy. Since the client works in a nursery, I'd be surprised if she didn't know this for herself. So referencing such non-factual points amounts to 'shooting oneself in the foot'.

I also believe we must have very different interpretation of the word "threatened". Unless it is being used here in an entirely inappropriate emotive sense, then "threats" are things (in my book) which would have led to me giving immediate notice and a call to the police.

If I was a client, I think I would be absolutely livid if I were to receive such a letter. As others have mentioned, it is way too personal. However well-intentioned it might be, it reads as a rant of "look how much I've done for you and look how badly you're treating me." In all honesty, before I reached the point of sending that letter, I'd have already sorting things out face-to-face or else given notice politely and "professionally".

11. Likes Mrsh3103 liked this post
    Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear xxxxx
    As per our conversation on Friday 2nd August 2013. We have agreed that until xx date xxxxx's new contracted hours will be xx-xx on (day) xx-xx on (day) and xx-xx on (day). Hourly fee of £xx, daily fee of £xx, Weekly total of £xx. After xxxxx date our contract will revert to the original days and hours of ......... (list them). Weekly total of £xx.
    Unfortunately I am unable to make alternative childcare arrangements for you, however, I will gladly assist you in finding alternative care when needed.
    I am happy to renegotiate our contract at any time but please be aware that there are certain days/ hours I am unable to offer childcare.

We really enjoy having xxxx here and I hope we are able to come to a mutually convenient solution.

Please let me know if you would like to discuss this matter further and we will try to find a mutually convenient time to do so.

Kind Regards
    xxxxxxx

I think you need to keep ALL personal feelings out of the letter. Kepp it professional & straight to the point I hope that helps??

13. Likes bunyip, blue bear liked this post
    Sep 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    I'm replying on the assumption that you asked the question and therefore want a straight answer. If you happen to be one of those members who "take offense" where none was intended, just because I don't agree 100% then please stop reading now.

OK, so you're still with me.

Frankly, I'm struggling to understand much of what I see. It would certainly help to know the situation/back-story.

There are some seriously inaccurate or false statements in there that you cannot back up and which can only undermine your case. As Fussy has already made clear, we have no right to make claim that we have "legal back up" from Ofsted (not in any sense I understand). CMing outside of normal contracted hours is widely practised; it is referred to as "ad hoc" care and it is both perfectly legal and completely covered by any decent CM insurance policy. Since the client works in a nursery, I'd be surprised if she didn't know this for herself. So referencing such non-factual points amounts to 'shooting oneself in the foot'.

I also believe we must have very different interpretation of the word "threatened". Unless it is being used here in an entirely inappropriate emotive sense, then "threats" are things (in my book) which would have led to me giving immediate notice and a call to the police.

If I was a client, I think I would be absolutely livid if I were to receive such a letter. As others have mentioned, it is way too personal. However well-intentioned it might be, it reads as a rant of "look how much I've done for you and look how badly you're treating me." In all honesty, before I reached the point of sending that letter, I'd have already sorting things out face-to-face or else given notice politely and "professionally".

I was not sure if Ofsted cover us legally, that is why I added in the letter and ask for help with this letter. I have not explained the whole story as I just did want to cut a long story short. If the letter sounds too much I do apologise. As it is only going to be this summer I'll just leave the letter, to keep the peace then. Thanks for your help. x
    Last edited by Chello; 04-08-2013 at 04:08 PM.

Sep 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mrsh3103 View Post
    Dear xxxxx
    As per our conversation on Friday 2nd August 2013. We have agreed that until xx date xxxxx's new contracted hours will be xx-xx on (day) xx-xx on (day) and xx-xx on (day). Hourly fee of £xx, daily fee of £xx, Weekly total of £xx. After xxxxx date our contract will revert to the original days and hours of ......... (list them). Weekly total of £xx.
    Unfortunately I am unable to make alternative childcare arrangements for you, however, I will gladly assist you in finding alternative care when needed.
    I am happy to renegotiate our contract at any time but please be aware that there are certain days/ hours I am unable to offer childcare.

We really enjoy having xxxx here and I hope we are able to come to a mutually convenient solution.

Please let me know if you would like to discuss this matter further and we will try to find a mutually convenient time to do so.

Kind Regards
    xxxxxxx

I think you need to keep ALL personal feelings out of the letter. Kepp it professional & straight to the point I hope that helps??

Thanks, I think I'm just going to leave it and not send her a letter just to keep the peace, thanks for your help.
    x

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

So what are the current contract hours. What is the parent asking for and what are you willing to offer? X I will see if I can help? X

Sep 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Gail,

The contracted hours is on Teus 08:30 - 16:00, Wed 08:30 - 17:30, Fri 09:00 - 16:30.
    With this customer, I had problems with payments, which I'm still chasing, also I get a lot of times very short notice about changing the hours on a daily basis without any please or thank you in the text. Also the way she speaks to me is really not good. Example: when they drop the child off last Friday one hour early without any notification, she said to me that the child is now here so tuff it is my job to care for her!! I've maybe not explained myself in the previous emails properly, as I don't like to moan I just try to get on with it and thought I just ask for help with the letter, which looks like I opened a can of worms. Also this lady she threatened me she is going to terminate the contract, which I don't mind if she does though, it just looks like if she does not get her way she threatens people to get her way!!

I do help customers where I can but certainly do not help people what do not pay me also do not have respect for others.

Also why I asked for help is, because English is my second language.

Sorry I moan, but I hope this explains a bit more.

Don't worry I'll just let it go this time, next time I'll ask for help.

Thanks xx

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like the working relationship has broken down, so indeed if you can just bite your tongue for a few weeks might be for the best .. Are both children leaving at the end of the summer?

Hugs for you, it does sound like she is not respecting you especially with money and I would be so cross if they dropped off early without warning! Maybe a letter / text to 'all parents' (just send to her!) reminding that in order to plan your day to benefit all children would they please ask in advance for change of hours and make sure they get a reply as you may not have received it otherwise

Hope it all works out for you! Xx

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi Chello

Don't let it go! Especially if they owe you money and are messing you around with days and times. Mrsh3103's letter is good and to the point. Takes the emotion out (or Gail may be able to help you). You might want to look at your contracts to see what they say about late payment and whether you provide care if payment is owing and what your fees for late payment are. I would add that to the letter too - exactly when you expect payment and state that you will not care for X if payment is not made. And then follow through - even if it means refusing X at the door.

It's not easy to take a stand if parents are being difficult but until you do they will likely continue and get worse. Sorry if there's been misunderstanding with the thread. Forum posts can be easily misunderstood (both ways) which is why we ask questions to try to understand and help.

Sep 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks murfgh, the bad news is, they started three months ago, so I do not think they are going to leave soon. Thanksxx
    Last edited by Chello; 04-08-2013 at 07:28 PM.

Sep 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi sing-low, I've got a pacey contract, thanks.

I'm so surprise the way she is considering she works for a montesorri nursery!

I've been so upset this weekend, I know I must not take this personally but it hard not to do that.

Next time I'll explain myself instead of just sending a letter.

Thanks xx

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

so how about:

To xxxxx

I would like to summarise our discussion which took place on Friday 2/8/13. At the same time I would like to clarify any possible misunderstandings between ourselves.

Our current contract states the hours I will care for your child are as follows:
    Tuesday 8.30 - 16.00
    Wednesday 8.30 - 17.30
    Friday 9.00 - 16.30.

As I am sure you are aware as a childcare professional I work within certain limits with the numbers of children I can care for at any time. With this in mind it is not always possible for me to be as flexible as I would always like with taking children outside of their contracted hours. I require xx weeks notice to change hours which are set out in the contract between ourselves. This said in the aim of being flexible if given 48 hours notice I will happily look at my diary and see if I can fit your child in if you require any extra hours. I will however only accept the booking for extra hours on receipt of the money to pay for additional hours.

I would like to point out to you that I offer a service to several families of which you are one. I like to be able to offer the same flexibility to all families and occasionally have to say no to requests for extra hours. If you find the service I offer is no longer meeting your requirements please let me know in writing giving me the xx weeks formal notice as required in the contract between ourselves.

As I am sure you are aware the payments you make to my business are currently £xx in arrears. It is written in to the contract that I charge £x per day/week for late payments. I would like to make you aware that unless the financial position between ourselves is corrected by xx/xx/xx I will be imposing the charges in the next invoice.

Yours sincerely

xxxxx

how does this sound? Please remember to change any parts which are in red to suit your needs, if you choose to use this letter x

good luck with getting your issues sorted x

23. Likes FussyElmo, sing-low, bunyip liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast