Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Worth my while or not?

Had an enquiry from a mum looking for me to pick her child up from nursery at 11.30am and have her until her mum finishes work at 1.30/2. Tempted to tell her I don't have space but I look after her sister in law's little one so she will know I'm lying.

Just seems pointless so little hours when it is my last space on the days she wants but it's not like it's just morning or afternoon so I wouldn't be able to fill other half of days. Work round here is pretty scarce and we do have to take on itty bits, I just not sure whether to take this one or not.

Oh, it would mean I would need to get a car too as we are not using our own car for my work and she goes to nursery in next village. Suppose that could be my excuse for not taking her.....

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sounds like you don't want to do it...
    If an enquiry doesn't fit in with your daily routine, then say sorry, no. You don't have to give a reason to anyone

Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not that it wouldn't fit in with the routine. She asked if I could pick her up or would she need brought to me - if she can be brought here then I would consider it but there's no way I'm walking to the next village (there is a path the whole way) and I can't justify getting a car just for that.

I'm not money hungry so not desperate to be full - I have one full timer plus another one 3 days a week and to be honest I don't think I want to be much fuller than that as I want to give the kids as much attention as I can. I'm doing this because I love kids, not for the money. So therefore I think I could just take on a few extra hours here and there. Little one would be here on the days I also have her cousin and my other little one is a baby so it would maybe be nice for them to have each other to play with?

I think I'll reply and just say I can't pick her up and see what mums says from there.

4. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    sept 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds too much hassle. It's not going to be worth it if you would need to get a car. Tell her that and be honest

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post

I think I'll reply and just say I can't pick her up and see what mums says from there.

I think that's a good idea and will help you make up your mind whether you want the job or not.

As it's so few hours I'd also consider charging a slightly higher rate or charging for a minimum number of hours to make sure the job is worth your while.

Hope it works out for you

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

7. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

What do you do regarding minimum hours? How many do you charge for? I've never had this before as my other two are full days.

4 hours? 5?

Post Thanks / Like

For me it's about making sure I earn enough from that space for the day - the hours she needs cover part of the morning and afternoon so you will only be able to earn whatever she pays you for that day. I would probably charge at least 5 hours but it does depend how much you want/need the work.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Post Thanks / Like

I would charge full day rate anyway, you won't get a space for another child 1:30-5 so you are losing a full day space. If she is willing to pay then it may make it a little more worthwhile, if not then you don't have to worry about it.

July 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ktdg85 View Post
    I would charge full day rate anyway, you won't get a space for another child 1:30-5 so you are losing a full day space. If she is willing to pay then it may make it a little more worthwhile, if not then you don't have to worry about it.
    This is what I do. I did do a reduced rate for a child that just fitted in to my spare slots and it was only for a couple of months, but otherwise it's my minimum daily rate.

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

tbh I wouldn't find it worth all the paperwork hassle is the money is not needed

I had lots of part timers up to recently (which was fine) but I got very bogged down with paperwork for EYFS for each little one!

Mar 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would only do it for a minimum charge of 4 hours, make it worth your while!!

Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

She's just come back and said she can pick her up from nursery early or get someone to do if for her.... So speak to me about fees lol!

What shall I tell her regarding fees? She's now asking if I can be flexible for other days if needed...to which I said yes but she would have to pay for the days she was likely to use even if she didn't use them, to keep the space open. She said she's going to speak to her mum and ring me tonight to discuss so I need to work out what I'm going to tell her regarding fees.

I'm going to tell her I have a minimum session per day, of either 4 or 5 hours which she has to pay even if she only uses 2 hours (she's said 2 hours one day and 3 another) and if she wants other days she will have to pay for the minimum session those days too even if she doesn't use them so it keeps the space if she does need those days. Would you charge full or half fee for the days she may use, but doesn't?

Anything else I should add??

July 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you just need to work out what you can afford to offer and how much you need the work.

It's very busy here so when I had a parent on shift they paid my minimum daily fee per day (8 hrs) whether child was here or not. If they had not taken the space someone else would have done. But other minders only charge for what is used, but then feel fed up when only 2 hours per day is used...

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Apr-08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

If this were me and if business was scarce then I would try to find a way around it, even if it's just on a temporary basis until you find someone who suits you.

I would charge for a minimum of 4/5 hours, whether she uses this or not. As for the other flexible days I would probably average out the days she's likely to use and then charge in advance each month, Full fee, whether she uses this or not. If she uses more than average days then add accordingly to invoice.

If she doesn't like this then you could possibly negotiate to 3 hours minimum but at a premium rate.

Remember also if you haven't already that you should be charging from the time you leave your house to collect, so may add a bit more weight to the hours.

However, if it means getting a car as in buying one, then I would say no, not worth it.
    Last edited by Lottie; 30-07-2013 at 04:37 PM.

Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. She came back and said she could collect little one from nursery early or get someone to drop her in. Turns out it's only 5 hours per week (2 one day and 3 another) so I told her I'd have to charge her for full days on those 2 days as it would be mid morning til early/mid afternoon so I'd really struggle to get the other hours filled. Hopefully that will put her off!

I'm now thinking of charging a set session fee for any new enquiries. The two I have starting in a fortnight I will leave as is but I think I'm going to start just doing morning and afternoon sessions or full day so they have to pay the session fee if they use all the hours or not. Do any of you do this? How much do you charge for each?

Jun 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I tried session rates for 8am-1pm and 1pm-6pm, that really didn't work for most parents so I now just have a minimum booking of 5 hours. It does mean that I have the odd one doing 5 hours taking up the full day, but it just depends what you can afford to do. Things can change though and one who started like that now does 2 full days and I'm getting the 3-4 funding in September so it worked out well in the end.

Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh dammit...I told her she'd have to pay for full days and now she's asking how much it would be per day!! I was going to tell her £35 per day but she may question why her sister in law is only paying £28 per day (8.30-4.30 at £3.50 per hour).

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Oh dammit...I told her she'd have to pay for full days and now she's asking how much it would be per day!! I was going to tell her £35 per day but she may question why her sister in law is only paying £28 per day (8.30-4.30 at £3.50 per hour).
    Bonus for you...I would tell her £28 per day and sign her up Hun xx

Sarah x
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bumble Beez View Post

Bonus for you...I would tell her £28 per day and sign her up Hun xx

Sarah x
    I've told her £28! It's only 5 hours per week lol but such awkward hours!!! Xx

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

The bonus is that you've added 2 days money to your income plus it won't cost £28 to start your car and collect LO from nursery...
    You can make it work for a couple of days I'm sure, plan a simple activity for the morning, go collect from nursery, lunch and free play and it'll be time to go home

Sarah x
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast