Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Our own appointments?

So, I have a dentist appointment booked for a cracked tooth, in agony. Do people take the mindees along? I have a 17m and 20m with me, bit worried how they will behave sitting in the double buggy but can't afford to take time off for a dentist appointment?

Opinions?

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I take mindees to appointments etc...something's I have to, some things I choose to...
    For your situation I would say its unavoidable, if you're in that much pain then it's better for the LO's to sit in buggy while you get it sorted than you not be able to work or struggle because of the pain.
    That's what I would do

Sarah x
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I've taken them, the children love it, dentist always gives them a sticker and says how good they always are.

4. Likes kellyskidz! liked this post
    Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i had an interview recently and it cost me a fortune for the day off. then i had a hospital appt. i gave all the parents the option for me not to take the children but told them if they couldn't take time off then I would take them and hubby was comign along to help. It would have crippled me to have taken 2 days off in the same month.

they all asked me to take children with me. I couldnt have done it without help from dh though and we went through lots of fruit and breadsticks
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I usually take children with me to appointments and have taken 5 to a dental appointment with me before. They all sat on the floor in the surgery lined up against the wall. But when I had to have a tooth out in an emergency I took my OH along and they sat in the waiting room with him. I asked all parents if they were happy with this and they all said of course they were.
    Good luck with your tooth, there's nothing worse than toothache

xx

Dec 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't took mindee's to any appointment I have hospital test next week had to take day off
    Perhaps I might look at taking them next time I do have one little boy who would cling to me or scream in different place especially with a man in the room
    I think it depends on the appointment what its for and the children you have that day and if the parents are happy.
    Theres no room for buggy in our dentist.
    Angela x
    Owner of a static holiday caravan in Paignton

Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I've taken them with me before. Given the choice between having me take them or having to figure out childcare I know all my parents would choose me taking them!
    If you do not hope, you will not find what is beyond your hopes

jan 11
    Post Thanks / Like

i take mine to mw and dental apps. i just check with the parents first and ive never had a problem. plenty of raisons and drinks usually helps but i find they love going somewhere new x

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I've taken mindees to appointments before now, but always make sure I get clients' permission before I book the appointment. I can see how a client might be miffed about paying me to what they have to do in their own time.

One parent commented it actually helps the child to see that doctor/dentists trips are 'normal' and don't have to be scary, so they'll probably be calmer when they have to go there.

One mindee sat and laughed at me whilst I was in the dentist's chair. It seems I have a little sadist on my books.

11. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually dont take them with me to dentists for the simple reason I can totally freak out and have issues - so it wouldnt be a good impression for mindees

However I do have an assistant - so they can be in the waiting room with my assistant and I make sure its towards the end of the day so assistant (DH) might only have to watch one for my while Im in the room

13. Likes Wheelybug liked this post
    June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Those who had DH help, is he an assistant??

June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I now have a 50 minute root canal treatment, no idea what parents would say, one is a nightmare anyway!

Also if they work then most parents get paid whilst having dentist and doctors appointments so can't see why they would be miffed paying me whilst I'm there!!

June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

What would others do/suggest?

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbell1979 View Post
    Those who had DH help, is he an assistant??
    No my OH isn't my assistant but seeing as he was sitting outside in the waiting area, literally the other side of the door to the surgery room where I was and he's CRB checked (obviously) and I had parents permission I can't see why it would be a problem. Plus it was an emergency so the only other option would be for me to close for an hour. I think the parents were just relieved that I didn't close and even managed to keep on working until the end of day after just having a tooth out. Wouldn't recommend it though

xxxx

18. Likes cathtee liked this post
    Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I've. Taken lots of mindies to appointments always go armed with my i pad just encase the worst case they end up watching cartoons for a bit.

Sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AliceK View Post
    No my OH isn't my assistant but seeing as he was sitting outside in the waiting area, literally the other side of the door to the surgery room where I was and he's CRB checked (obviously) and I had parents permission I can't see why it would be a problem. Plus it was an emergency so the only other option would be for me to close for an hour. I think the parents were just relieved that I didn't close and even managed to keep on working until the end of day after just having a tooth out. Wouldn't recommend it though

xxxx
    I'm afraid Ofsted wouldn't agree with this which is why my husband is now registered as my assistant.

As for appointments yes I take mindees if the appointment is a check up but for dental work no - I think it would be too much for a child to be expected to sit through a 50 minute appointment and it is stressful enough going to the dentist without a load of mindees trailing behind!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbell1979 View Post
    I now have a 50 minute root canal treatment, no idea what parents would say, one is a nightmare anyway!

Also if they work then most parents get paid whilst having dentist and doctors appointments so can't see why they would be miffed paying me whilst I'm there!!
    Thats a long time for the age of the children you have to sit and be quiet in a buggy.... personally if you dont have an assistant then I would be tempted to ask for the last appointment of the day and ensure little ones are picked up early (and explain why to the parents). Ive had several of them (root canal) done - no way can you talk let alone give the children instructions. What would you do part way through the treatment if they started to play up, one screams because the other one has taken a toy off them, etc?

I think you have to risk assess the situation with the children you have and their ages which is very different from say and 3.5 and 4.5 year old. Perhaps you have a quieter day and you can book it for then?

Jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I took sibling mindees to the hospital for my appointment to have a week long heart monitor put on. It was a box and "dots" put on my chest. They were captivated. Little lad (3) held my hand all the time and when it was done he patted it saying " there there wibble it's all over now"

It was great they saw it put on as it was quite obvious and they saw it every day stuck on my chest.

Made me laugh though the way he looked after me!

Wibble x
    The bats have left the bell tower.....

dec 08
    Post Thanks / Like

It's one of those depends what it is, a quick dentist check up is one thing but a 50min root canal is very different, I'm not sure on that tbh.
    With regards to hospital app it's a big no no from me, my dd who is 7 has an MRI scan in 2 weeks and there's no way, it's not even open to discussion, I take the day off and they like it or lump it end of.
    I go on the approach of you wouldn't take your work with you to app you book the time off and that's what i do. There are exceptions, quick docs app with kids fine anything else no. X

June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

It's sorted, patents taking half day leave and dropping off at 12pm instead of 8am :-)

25. Likes lynncjt liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast