Out of date medication
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jun 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Out of date medication

Today was my daughter's last day at preschool before she starts school in September. I picked her up and asked for her spare inhaler which preschool kept in case of emergency. When I got home I noticed that preschool had put a label on the tub with her name, date of birth and expiry date on. The expiry date was 05/2013. I thought well that's pretty rubbish in an emergency! Then I realised that they had actually used it late June because she had an episode then. And it was the manager who had administered it because I remember a conversation with her.
    Surely they should routinely check dates of stored medicines and if not they should at least check before giving to a child?
    I really want to complain but also don't want to make a fuss! Any thoughts?

Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd say something definitely, they could have loads of other kids out of date medication in their storage! You might save a serious incident if you say something to them and they check all their meds.
    Glad your daughters ok, could have been really bad with out of date medication being given to her. They must have expiry dates for a reason xx

Jun 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes that's what I thought! Just got to work out who to speak to now! X

jan 11
    Post Thanks / Like

this was discussed on my first aid course last week. she said it is the parents job to check the dates and it still works past the expiry date but becomes less effective.

i can imagine how many inhalors they must have. x

Jun 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I have just looked at the preschool's policies for medicines and asthma and both state that medication can be stored there to be used if necessary an that is the Senco's responsibility to ensure that medication is in date. Out of date medicine will be returned to parents.

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Joint responsibility really between parents & pre-school but they should check their policies because the date should have been checked before use although if it had been they would not have been able to give it!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

High school are really good at asking me to replace medication - when ds was in junior school I used to put it in my diary a few weeks before it went out of date

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a poorly school child (8 yrs) here last week. He wasn't really, really poorly, a temperature and sore throat. Had one little one which I kept away from him. He just sat on the sofa watching tv. (I had ok'd it with little ones Mum).

Dad gave me some 6+ calpol and said he had some at 7.30. I went to give him some at 12 and saw the expiry date was 09/2011!!!!! I then realised it was the bottle I had given back to them just over 2 years ago because it was getting close to the use by date and knew I wouldn't use it up.

I text Dad and said I can't give him that medicine as it's 2 years out of date. Dad text back "I did". I then text back well I can't.

I couldn't believe it.
    littletreasures xx

9. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope you didn't give it back to the Dad? I would have said it was my duty under duty of care to dispose of it in the correct way and that I had passed to to the Pharmacist when I went to get the new one to administer to his son. I would have also given dad the receipt so he could pay me for it.

Post Thanks / Like

This happened to me the other week! I went and bought more and parents paid but didn't seem that bothered!!