Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 2 year check - what a flop!!

So I spent what seemed like absolute AGES composing a 2 year check only to find the health visitor had no idea what it was and didn't know what to do with it. The child's parent was so shocked and said she knew more about the visit then what the health visitor did. It's just sooo frustrating spending so long on something (as I was under the impression it is such a big deal) for it not to get recognised I was just wandering if other childminders had similar problems and whether I should change anything as I've only ever done this once.
    Many thanks,
    Sally

Dec 00
    Post Thanks / Like

I have done them and given them to parents when the children are two only to find that the children have already had the check before their birthdays. Other parents have been told there is a backlog and the two year check will be about six months late.Think it's a bit of a waste of time.

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

It all just seems a bit of a mess. The health visitor arranged the appointment a few days after talking to the parent on the phone leaving my 2 evenings to write it up which all seemed a bit rushed and hard to get my head around. I just wish we were given a bit more time and credit as it's not any easy thing to do.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It doesn't matter whether the health visitor is interested in seeing the check you have written or not - you are legally required to write it and keep a copy in the child's file

Jan 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I've done them and we don't have HV checks here- just placed them in LJ's xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I've done 3 and none of the HVs have been in the slightest bit interested. As it's now a legal requirement for us to do them it would be nice if someone actually told the HVs they had to at least read them!

7. Likes loocyloo, watgem, Chimps Childminding liked this post
    Jan 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I've done 3 and none of the HVs have been in the slightest bit interested. As it's now a legal requirement for us to do them it would be nice if someone actually told the HVs they had to at least read them!
    Agree, otherwise what is the purpose of them! xx

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Scrubbit View Post
    Agree, otherwise what is the purpose of them! xx
    Exactly my point! I was under the impression that they are the reason we need to do it in the first place - for the Health visitor.

I've saved a copy and it's in the child's learning journal but that's it. Yes Ofsted might ask to see one of them in the future but what happens to the other childrens I'll eventually complete? Just get overlooked?

I know where all my key children are at developmentally, I don't need to write up a report for my own records to see that - Just seems I'm repeating myself for no reason.

Mar 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

The check is not for the HV, some may be interested in seeing them, not many to my experience!

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A couple of years ago I took one of my mindees for her 2 year check and thought I had seen health visitor when infact it was a health visitor assistant - I seemed to be giving her more information than what she was asking for because I thought it to be relevant

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

it is supposed to be for the health visitor and i can't believe that so many are not getting 'on board' so to speak. we had a training day on the 2 year old check and the health visitor came and said they can't possibly tell in a brief assessment how the child is doing - especially when they may spend half the time hiding behind mums legs!! thats why it is a good idea for a childminder or pre-school worker to do it although obviously many children at 2 may not be in a setting yet.
    I've done my first assessment and was concerned about a child's speech the health visitor has now followed this up and arranged for the child to have an assessment so for me I feel like it worked. They try and do them at 2 and 3 months here so I have a good idea of when they will get their appointment. Which reminds me I've now got another one due to do!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

our HVs quite like them and say it gives them a good idea of what the child can do, as now they do 2 yr checks in a room at the surgery or childrens centre, the child is usually not very co-operative and they can't tell how a child is doing.

14. Likes Bluebell liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    It doesn't matter whether the health visitor is interested in seeing the check you have written or not - you are legally required to write it and keep a copy in the child's file
    I take your point Sarah but have huge reservations on this Progress check...another area this govt has proved incompetent

It has been put in place in order for any 'concerns' about development to be picked up and flagged up between that very special stage of development 2 - 3 years.
    This will ensure children will get the professional support they require especially if it is with language development

Much has been made of it and written about it, without considering the money spent on training the workforce and the LAs busy providing 'paperwork' to complete

So it is rather infuriating that HV are not 'interested'? all HVs should be interested in any report about child development regardless of who writes it.

I contacted my HVs centre and she explained very clearly to me that they are not doing any Progress check in line with any DfE requirement...what they are doing is a check under the present 'Health Programme' and nothing to do with the DfE

We know things will change in 2015 but until then we should flag up this problem as it is vital for young children who may have additional needs and entering school at an earlier age

very important we 'intervene' now and important our efforts are valued and not dismissed!

16. Likes Tiptoes., watgem liked this post
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bluelion View Post
    it is supposed to be for the health visitor and i can't believe that so many are not getting 'on board' so to speak. we had a training day on the 2 year old check and the health visitor came and said they can't possibly tell in a brief assessment how the child is doing - especially when they may spend half the time hiding behind mums legs!! thats why it is a good idea for a childminder or pre-school worker to do it although obviously many children at 2 may not be in a setting yet.
    I've done my first assessment and was concerned about a child's speech the health visitor has now followed this up and arranged for the child to have an assessment so for me I feel like it worked. They try and do them at 2 and 3 months here so I have a good idea of when they will get their appointment. Which reminds me I've now got another one due to do!
    Everything you've just said is exactly what I've been told. I think everyone has been told something different. My only thing is what if you find an area where they're lacking and you don't then have the support? It's a bit of a mess really - the parent of the child I look after should not be telling the health visitor how to do her job because she doesn't know. Grrrr.

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    I take your point Sarah but have huge reservations on this Progress check...another area this govt has proved incompetent

It has been put in place in order for any 'concerns' about development to be picked up and flagged up between that very special stage of development 2 - 3 years.
    This will ensure children will get the professional support they require especially if it is with language development

Much has been made of it and written about it, without considering the money spent on training the workforce and the LAs busy providing 'paperwork' to complete

So it is rather infuriating that HV are not 'interested'? all HVs should be interested in any report about child development regardless of who writes it.

I contacted my HVs centre and she explained very clearly to me that they are not doing any Progress check in line with any DfE requirement...what they are doing is a check under the present 'Health Programme' and nothing to do with the DfE

We know things will change in 2015 but until then we should flag up this problem as it is vital for young children who may have additional needs and entering school at an earlier age

very important we 'intervene' now and important our efforts are valued and not dismissed!
    Completely agree with this!!

19. Likes bindy, watgem liked this post
    Mar 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

It matters that some one is doing a check. Child minders are very capable of doing this and yes if HV are interested too, great, but lot's of areas, children do not see a HV at age 2. Some children will have a check much later than 2, so already had seen HV. . My local pre school did checks on all little ones all being 2.5 plus, they had already had HV visits months ago. It takes one person to point out any concerns whether its done in sink with the HV or not. HV can be reached at any time/age for any concerns.
    I understand Simona another requirement brought in, that is confusing, everyone having different idea's and being told different things.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bindy View Post
    It matters that some one is doing a check. Child minders are very capable of doing this and yes if HV are interested too, great, but lot's of areas, children do not see a HV at age 2. Some children will have a check much later than 2, so already had seen HV. . My local pre school did checks on all little ones all being 2.5 plus, they had already had HV visits months ago. It takes one person to point out any concerns whether its done in sink with the HV or not. HV can be reached at any time/age for any concerns.
    I understand Simona another requirement brought in, that is confusing, everyone having different idea's and being told different things.
    That is the other problem...
    some children are seen as soon as they turn 2 and then not seen again by the HV unless parents request another check

This is where cms come in...if you record any concerns make sure the parent goes back to the HV
    The Progress check stars at 2 and ends at 3...so much can happen in 12 months

Another area where each LA differs...

22. Likes bindy, watgem liked this post
    Dec 00
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    I had no idea we were supposed to keep a copy.V.useful info.Thanks.

24. Likes watgem liked this post
    feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I've done 3 and HV wasn't interested in any, even though one of them showed a child with a significant delay in many areas of development the 3rd one the mum was a teacher and the HV asked if she had to read it and the mum insisted she did No feedback from any of them though and apparently the mum of the LO with delays was told he was fine by the HV he has since been referred by preschool .

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bambini2 View Post
    I had no idea we were supposed to keep a copy.V.useful info.Thanks.
    Not only a copy of your progress check report but also a copy of the parents' input...important that Ofsted see how you involve them in their child's learning.
    If you have no 2 year olds when inspected you can show the inspector how you do the check...I keep all mine!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast