Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Is it worth it?

Registered Childminder since
    Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is it worth it?

I'm currently in extended maternity leave. I wanted to childmind just before and after school from September when my son starts school, but he didn't get offered his school place until recently (originally offered a place elsewhere) and it seems everyone arranged their childcare when they got their school placement offers back in April, so nobody wants me!

I've just been asked to care for a 12 month old one afternoon a week. I'm not sure what to do...I'd like to do it and could do with the work but to be able to do it I need to renew my first aid, insurance, buy a double buggy etc. For the sake of 6hrs work per week it would take months to just cover my expenses! Any advice welcome!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

2 perspectives. This 12 month old could extend they hours slowly, which would be good for you to get back in the swing of things. However your right, if your going to mind ey children, you might as well save the space for someone who needs more hours etc.

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks....I didn't really want to mind ey anymore to be honest but I thought for a small contract i wouldn't mind and its better than nothing. I don't imagine this one would lead to more hours to be honest

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

the outlays you would need to make are not just short term fixes, the first aid lasts 3 years, the insurance a year and so on. As a cm you will surely get the need to use a double buggy again at some point. Also there is a good light weight one on kiddicare for just £38 so doesnt have to cost a fortune either.

You can build on the 6 hours too you dont have to limit yourself to just that

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Very true Gail. It's just frustrating until you start making a profit I suppose, I remember it well from when I first started out!

Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

And apparently you shouldn't ever have a gap in your insurance as long as you remain registered. Apparently Ofsted don't like it.

I'd say go for it and get advertising. I'm going school children only from sept and apart from one mindee changing from an EY to a schoolie all my business has come in the last three weeks!!! And all through word of mouth at that as our local FIS still haven't updated my details with my new mobile number and I gave it to them in April!!
    If you do not hope, you will not find what is beyond your hopes

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh really? I didn't know that. Never mind, too late now- I paid for a years insurance in march 2012 and only needed it for two months, I wasn't going to pay for another year this march when I didn't expect to need it until sept, if at all!
    Last edited by snufflepuff; 17-07-2013 at 11:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I took on a schoolie in sept and two a couple of weeks after that .. In the first case granny wasn't available any more (saw
    Why after a while!) and in the second mums hours changed so she suddenly needed care ., sometimes
    People are just plain disorganised too so don't give up hope of filling those spaces!

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, hope you're right. Just a couple of schoolies would be perfect :-)

Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Go for ey, eBay for bits will be cheaper. Bd agree with previous comments, last year I had 2 schoolies contracts signed in holidays.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

take it on but say min. charge of £20 /day maybe?
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got