Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Toddler group to charge minders more than parents

I went to Toddlers this morning the one I have been to on and off the the past 9 years. They charge a fee of £2 which includes drink and fruit for children and hot drink for parents/carers. They are changing the fees in September to £2 for parent and child and a sibling and £1 for each additional child. For childminders it's £2 for the first child and £1 for additional children. When I asked why she said it's because I'm earning and the parents are not. How do other toddler groups charge? I don't mind paying for extra children but I don't see why I should pay more than parents. Thought I'd ask here before contacting other groups in my area to see what the norm is

sep 08
    Post Thanks / Like

our toddler group charges £2 which includes hot drink for adult, plus fruit, toast, ham, cheese and drink for children.

I sometimes take 3 children and they eat lots, i have offered to pay a bit extra but it was refused.

Surely some of the parents are working but just done work on that day???????

I wouldnt be happy about the new charges to be honest. Is this not discrimination?

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I go to two. One is at a village hall and we pay £2 per family or carer, doesn't matter how many children you have. Children get juice and fruit and adults get cuppa and yummy homemade cake. This one is very very busy and we don't go so often now as too busy.

I also go to one at our local sports centre which has a bouncy castle and lots of bigger toys and that's £2.50 per child and we don't get any refreshments. I only take one mindie to that one and mum pays as she wanted me to take her.

No extra costs because I am a childminder and to be honest if I was being charged more then I would stop going

4. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Decembe
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely not fair, its discriminatory. Will they be asking the parents how much their partner earns, if they are a single parent or work part time ? It should be a standard charge for the adult and each child and then it's fair to everyone.

cheeky mare for saying it's cos you earning

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Most of the groups I attend are great about CM but one group I attend has recently put their prices up for parents/carers with more than 2 children so we have to pay another £1 per child. At the moment, I haven't been going every week and only have either 1 or 2 children - not sure I would want to pay £3 or £4 when I bring and extra child or 2 though.... However, food is expensive and the snack is very good (plus the grown-ups get a choc biscuit)....

Post Thanks / Like

Not necessarily. Just because a parent takes their little one to toddler group does not mean they do not work and earn a decent wage!!! It may well be that they have that day off or work part time but they are still earning! And what about the parents who take their children's friends along to? I don't see how they can discriminate in this way. If you had 4/5 little ones or something and where there every week then I would maybe expect to pay a little more to cover costs of food and drinks but not because I was simply "earning" money whilst I was there.

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree about paying the extra per child in order for the costs of the group to stay viable but everyone should pay the starting price

9. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. I do take 3 mindees and have offered to pay extra to cover snacks etc but they said no. I did tell them that I won't be coming in September

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately I do think this is becoming more and more of a common practise. For whatever reason I do feel more and more groups just don't want childminders there and I honestly don't know why. It's great for the kids and the adults. Would they say granny's get a discount because they are collecting their pension? I don't think so so I don't see how they can discriminate the opposite way. Don't know what's happening in the world these days or why people feel like they have to exclude/make it difficult for others.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Most groups are one pound for however many children I have, the childminding one is two pounds but still worth it as the kids get snacks and drinks, craft materials etc. There are other more expensive groups but they're no better than the one pound ones so I don't go to them!

Sept 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MTK007 View Post
    Most groups are one pound for however many children I have, the childminding one is two pounds but still worth it as the kids get snacks and drinks, craft materials etc. There are other more expensive groups but they're no better than the one pound ones so I don't go to them!
    The groups I go to are at the children's centre and charge the same for childminders and parents. If I had more children I would have an assistant too so would expect to pay twice. I did used to attend a messy play group sometimes which was funded, they asked for "voluntary contributions" but it wasn't voluntary for childminders and we had to pay, only a pound but it did put me off.

Sept 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds very strange. Can understand them putting up the cost especially if the snack is good, but surely it should be something like £2 for an adult and 1 child and additional cost for each extra child be they with a parent or childminder.

Our local Country Park changed their charging from per car to individuals several years ago. Myself and a fellow childminder used to go all the time and both of us had a season ticket and used to spend money there having six children each. However, the new charges and subsequent huge jump in season ticket fees made the park very very expensive and not viable any more. I did contact them regarding the cost in relation to childminders but they would not budge an inch. They even charged during winter months when it used to be free.

It was a lovely place but they just got too greedy.

feb 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I go to a great one at a child and family project in a local Church, they ask for a voluntary donation-kids get snack, adults get tea/coffee and often the lady that runs it will bake cakes or scones for us in the winter they do soup for the adults. They also do craft activities for the kids and subsidised day trips. Everyone is welcome and as a result quite a few childminders go!!

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the opposite situation. I attend a music group which is £5 per child, however because i am a registered childminder they offer me the class at £3 per child, however you do have to pay per term (ie 6/7 weeks in advance) so i suppose they see it as i am a guaruteed £9 for the 3 spaces each week, as we all know i dont always have 3 children with me due to hols and sickness. Without this discount i wouldnt be able to attend the class, so i am happy about it. Also our local softplay does reduced rates for childminders during term time.

aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

The children's snacks are fruit or cucumber and there's prob 4 small bowls between all the children. I haven't seen any new resources coming in over the last few years either. I really don't mind paying to take the LO's it's the fact that I have to pay more because they say I'm earning. Still I'm sure I'll find another one to go to instead. I glad to see that it's not just me that thinks it's unfair though

Post Thanks / Like

That's just not right! They could still be working but also if they're not working their hubbies are obviously getting a fair wage for them not to be working??!

Tell em to stick it and find somewhere else!!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I used to go to one where it was a flat fee for each 'family', and currently the one I go to charges per child. but everyone pays that regardless of whether they are a childminder or a parent or a granny!

what if 2 of your minded children were siblings?

if I was asked to pay more just because I was a childminder I would stop going.

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Most of ours are free or voluntary contribution. Snack is a biscuit and cup of juice. I put £1 in each to e regardless of how many children I have.
    One group it's 50p per person over one. But they run free trips,do craft and snack is biscuit, raisins,bread sticks and rice cakes.

Apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Ours is £1 per child over 1, babies free, adults 50p. I normally pay £7. Snack is juice and a biscuit, tea is 50p. However we can walk to it, everyone is friendly, it is well run, they have a nice craft and we all help each other out .........and I like it as well as the kids

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have always paid 50p more and taken a contribution of some extra fruit to my toddler group as I am taking 3 children and most people there only have one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast