Do you let your mindee's eat raw cake mixture?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  74
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    West Sussex
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you let your mindee's eat raw cake mixture?

I had a new mindee start this week and today we did some baking and she asks me if she could lick the mixing bowl. Now i always eat the raw mixture when i'm baking and have always let my kids, but suddenly i found myself telling this little girl that she was not allowed to, to which she told me mummy lets her. I spoke to mum about it today and told her that it's not something i should let her daughter do due to food safety regs etc etc. Mum said, she's eaten worse, mud, sand etc., so doesn't mind her daughter eating the raw mixture, but it got me thinking what would happen if she did get food poisoning as a result. So thought i'd find out what you all think/allow your mindees to do.

Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I ask the parents and if they let them then so do I. I'm yet to hear of someone becoming ill doing so.
    Cath

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

we are allowed to lick the bowl if there are no eggs in it! So crispie cake mix and carrot cake - fine not sponge mix or brownies though
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

4. Likes Maza liked this post
    Sept 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Mindees eat it? Goodness no I've already eaten it before they get a look in, sponge mixes are the best

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy De View Post
    Mindees eat it? Goodness no I've already eaten it before they get a look in, sponge mixes are the best
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

7. Likes Daisy De liked this post
    Mar 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

OMG what as it come to. We use organic, free range, royal hens, golden coated, none smelling, hand picked, germ free eggs!!

Kids love licking the bowl. Not had one problem in the last 30 years.

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

This came up in a cookery workshop I have just done. It's ok as all British eggs in shops are now salmonella free, so go ahead and lick one and all .
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

10. Likes zippy, Bluebell liked this post
    Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    West Sussex
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. I'm sure I was told on my food safety course that we are not allowed to let kids do this but I think it is a normal part of the baking process and its just wrong not to. I'm due to re-do the course later this year so I will ask again but if we can't then I'd rather stick to making non egg products in future.

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

I DON'T LET THE KIDS LICK THE BOWL - EVER - IT'S FAR TOO DANGEROUS

I like it too much

It's mine

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The thing is 'Safer Food Better Business for Childminders' clearly states 'Do not let children taste cake mixture containing raw eggs'. This is in the orange section 'cooking and reheating safely' section just before the diary under eggs. If a child did get ill and it was traced back to you? Is it worth the risk?

Sept 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Houlgated View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I'm sure I was told on my food safety course that we are not allowed to let kids do this but I think it is a normal part of the baking process and its just wrong not to. I'm due to re-do the course later this year so I will ask again but if we can't then I'd rather stick to making non egg products in future.
    Not keen on the words "not allowed" I like to make my own mind up when I have all the information, but that's my militant side coming out

I also hear what you are saying Christine e but I do think the world has gone mad and some of the simple pleasures in life are gone, its very sad

15. Likes Dragonfly, loocyloo, zippy liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My children would eat cake mix for breakfast

im not saying it happens on a regular basis.

Do I let the mindees lick the bowl - well usually with the aid of my trusty scrapper I can get all the mix out and bake it. What is wrong with the mix that we leave at the bottom of the bowl. It deserves to be eaten
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I made cakes with my mindees during my last Ofsted inspection earlier this year and Yes the children did lick the bowl and I explained to Mrs O that I had RA it and deemed the risk so low and that IMO licking the bowl whilst baking is part of childhood memories. She was absolutely fine with this so go ahead and let them enjoy it

xxxx

18. Likes Greengrass74, Maza, Dragonfly liked this post
    Apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This is similar to the question do you use the inside of toilet rolls for crafts? What is everyone's views on this. Is it health and safety gone mad or should we not use them?

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    This is similar to the question do you use the inside of toilet rolls for crafts? What is everyone's views on this. Is it health and safety gone mad or should we not use them?
    I've not heard that one. Madness, pure madness, of course we can use them.

xxx

21. Likes Daisy De liked this post
    Sep 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Hahaha with that and not singing "baa baa BLACK sheep" lol!!

as mentioned I ensure I have parents permission, and RA it x I do use my own eggs which the children collect, so only new born eggs are used (oooh!! that could be contentious) x

Yes the loo roll thing I think is silly, my bathroom is probably cleaner than anywhere else, and I am sorry but kitchen roll tubes just dont cut it as binoculars x

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Houlgated View Post
    I had a new mindee start this week and today we did some baking and she asks me if she could lick the mixing bowl. Now i always eat the raw mixture when i'm baking and have always let my kids, but suddenly i found myself telling this little girl that she was not allowed to, to which she told me mummy lets her. I spoke to mum about it today and told her that it's not something i should let her daughter do due to food safety regs etc etc. Mum said, she's eaten worse, mud, sand etc., so doesn't mind her daughter eating the raw mixture, but it got me thinking what would happen if she did get food poisoning as a result. So thought i'd find out what you all think/allow your mindees to do.
    My children do all the things they shouldn't do

Do I care ...nope

We have fun the kids love it and if eating the cake mix makes me a bad childminder then so be it

Angel xxx

24. Likes Dragonfly liked this post
    Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I honestly can't say it would ever even occur to me to eat it. Surely though once you have put the mixture into the cake tin there is nothing left to eat, or do you deliberately reserve some to eat?
    I am guessing it is just me, but it seems like such an odd thing to do . Mind you, I can't eat cakes at all having a dairy and egg allergy, so maybe that is why.

26. Likes ~Grasshopper~ liked this post
    Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Some of the myths around health and safety are boarding on the ridiculous!
    The HSE website has some great posters

Myth: Egg boxes are banned in craft lessons

Myth Busters Challenge Panel

28. Likes bunyip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've always eaten the mixture and never got ill from it! I love eating it, might let them have a tiny bit but its MINE!! Lol! I do have a lovely picture of one of mine licking a spoon and its one of the mums favourite pics! Health and safety is just mad!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast