Concerned re: number of childminder's pets and the Impact on my child's health :/
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Concerned re: number of childminder's pets and the Impact on my child's health :/

Hello, I am posting as a parent, and would be grateful for any help or advice. My child attends a
    Childminder, who owns cats. This has not been a problem for the most part, although recently his asthma and eczema has been hard to control. I have also noticed that he often comes home smelling very strongly of cat 'Spray'. We now have found out that there are approx 20 cats in this house, and of course I am now concerned (we only thought there were 5 or 6). I just wondered what is the policy relating to childminders having pets, and is there a limit on the quantity? It seems a bit extreme to me, and as if it is getting out of control

Registered Childminder since
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi. Have you spoken to your child minder to ask why your child smells of cat spray? Im not sure what spray you are talking about but to have a chat with the child minder should always be the first thing to do if you have any concerns.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

To me you have 2 choices here.

1. Accept your cm pets
    2. Give notice.

There are no regulations about how many pets a childminder can keep just that there are risk assessments in place.

I would personally find 20 cats excessive and I'm an animal lover and have various pets. She could be a lady who is takes cats in when they need homes and doesn't know how to say no.

Are you happy with the care she provides overall?
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Post Thanks / Like

I'm afraid there are no limits as to how many cats she can have. It's HER home therefore HER choice. I allergic to cat fur so I couldn't be in her home with one cat never mind 20. I do think its excessive though.

I would speak to her first and try and find out what her policy is on the cats. Ask to see the risk assessments she has in place for them. Explain that your daughter is suffering because of the cats and see what can be done. You definitely have to speak to her first. Then take it from there. xxx

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I agree with Fussyelmo

If you are not happy with your childminder and it is affecting your child's health then you need to think about looking for somewhere that does not have pets. There is no limit to the amount or type of pets that we can keep.

How long has your child been attending? I have asthma and eczema and they are effected by the pollen and weather(changing weather and temperatures cause my eczema to flare) at the moment. Although 20 cats is excessive it may not be the allergen setting your child off it didn't happen before when you thought there were 5 or 6.

Speak to you childminder and decide from there but I wouldn't be happy with my child smelling of cat spray.

6. Likes The Juggler liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Twenty cats is rather a lot of pussys. What does her pets policy say about Vaccinations worming and fleas. I would hope this is all being kept up to date for her animals but it would be very expensive with 20 of them to pay for.

A cat will spray if it is unhappy or stressed and this often happens in multi cat homes. If you are unhappy about this and cat wee in not a nice smell , i would be honest and tell your minder and end the contract.
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

I would like to thank you all for your replies, but also to say that this hasn't started happening just since I found out about the amount of cats. My son was diagnosed with asthma several
    Months ago, and I spoke to the childminder at the time, and she dismissed the cats as contributing to it. It is the past few weeks that I have noticed the 'spray' smell, and that has coincided with the exacerbation of his eczema. I was just enquiring as I am obviously thinking the two things could be related. From what I have read, cat spray contains things which can be very harmful to health and I am concerned as to how clean things may or may not be? I have been happy with the Childcare in all other ways.

sep 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess it is up to childminder how many pets she has but personally I couldnt go into a house with that many cats, I wouldnt stop sneezing!!

I think I would give notice and find another minder, be honest and tell her why

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

As others have said your first point of contact should be a discussion with your childminder - maybe she is unaware that one of the cats is spraying - I have dogs and am sure my house smells doggy but I can't smell it in my own home.

As a note to all parents viewing this post - I would ask potential childminders who you visit about care for your children a) how many pets they have b) where the pets are while childminding is taking place c) about worming, flea control practices & policies d) particularly dogs - where they are exercised and allowed to toilet

I would also want to see all pets - my dogs are in kitchen all day behind a stair gate, my cat has free run of down stairs but is not allowed in any bedrooms where children sleep.

11. Likes ziggy, watgem liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you go into the house when you drop off or collect your son? With 20 cats in the house I would have thought the smell would be pretty awful if the house isn't kept spotlessly clean. I would be concerned if the cats are spraying. Very often you don't know until you smell it. They may also wee indoors, which again you don't always notice. A friend of mine had problems with her cat as it kept weeing in her child's beanbag. The cat was fully house trained, but for some reason used the beanbag indoors!

Can you go in & speak to your childminder? If you notice an obvious smell in the house, or if you feel it's not as clean as it should be, personally, I'd look for alternative care.

As another thought, how is your son's eczema & asthma over the weekend, or if he has time away from the childminder? If he seems better away from her house, then maybe the cats are to blame.

At the end of the day, you need to put your son's health first. If you think the cats are affecting him (no matter how many there are), look around for another minder who doesn't have pets.

Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again. With regards to what happens when I collect my son, I have spoken to my mother (who also collects him), and we are both met at the front door, and the childminder shuts her hallway door behind her, so we only go as far as the porch. I realise my only realistic solution is to find alternative care, as I would not want to cause problems or the childminder concerned, but I don't feel I can easily raise the subject with causing some offence to her. As far as I am away, she is not taking in stray cats, but her own cats are repeatedly having litters and she cannot afford to have them all neutered. I have spoken today with another parent who has a child there, who also has recent concerns. Thanks again.

Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would be tempted to end contract ad put your reasons down as asthma. I would love to see how this childminder logs vaccinations etc especially for so many cats. As others state there is no limit on pets but I feel it is a little excessive. I find a dog and a guinea pig enough! How she can say cats are not the cause of asthma I do not get.
    Children are born with wings we help them to fly.

15. Likes Chatterbox Childcare liked this post
    Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My own daughter has allergies and it is the cat dander that sets them off. I had to rehome my own cats due to this.

I would give notice if affecting my child's health and state asthma as the reason

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You may want to suggest to the childminder that she advertises the kittens at a reasonable price and uses the money towards having cats spayed or that she contacts the Cat Protection League they can get a discount at the vets. Ofsted do want to know how many pets you have when they inspect you though and it is written on the inspection report - may be worth reading your childminders report and seeing how many cats she had (or declared that she had) on her last inspection. I still think you need to be honest with your childminder about your concerns about your child's health - I would want this from all the mindees parents.

18. Likes wellybelly liked this post
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Sincere thanks everyone. Your replies have been very helpful and I feel
    More confident in making a decision now.

May 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding.
    Post Thanks / Like

As an asthma sufferer myself who has a cat allergy, I think you have no choice but to find alternative care. I cared for my neighbours cats as they were on holiday last week and needed to take my inhaler before entering their house. I would not be able to have cats myself or be in an environment with cats for very long as I would be ill.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i got 2 kittins last summer from a foster carer for cats protection. she was also a cm (after school only). I have to be really honest, much as I admired her loking after the cats I would NOT have sent my child there.

The cats were everywhere. In cages in the main room, in one of the bedrooms, on top of cupboards (all of them), dining tables, all over the garden, lying on the stairs There must have been 35 or more. You could see the hair flying about in the air, it stank.

No matter how clean you are you cannot keep your home clean and fresh with that many animals

my son is ok with our kittens bbut previously reacted badly to cat fur, eyes swelled up and eczema and asthma flared up too. I would give notice saying you think that he must be allergic to cat hair due to his recent reactions.
    Last edited by The Juggler; 17-06-2013 at 08:37 PM.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

22. Likes ziggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think most childminders would prefer parents to talk about any concerns first before giving notice, even if it's about something that may offend them. At least then we get chance to deal with the problem if we can. I think if you gave notice and didn't say why she may be always wondering what she had done wrong.
    I would ask for a meeting with her, then at least you will get to see inside her house and what state it is in with the cats and ask about the spraying. I think if your son would be better suited to a childminder without cats if they're making his asthma worse.

Maybe realising that her cats are affecting her business may give her the nudge that she needs to sort the cat problem out. I'm afraid that I'd have to phone the RSPCA if you're sure that they aren't neutured and are being allowed to still have more litters that she can't afford. They may be able to offer or suggest somewhere that does neuturing for a reduced fee so that she can keep her cats safe and look after them properly. If she can't afford to look after the ones that she has now then she is going to struggle even more if they keep having more babies and I'd worry that they may be being neglected.

If I was still concerned about the state of the house and cats after 'd seen the inside of the house I would consider calling ofsted. If the cats are spraying in the house and the cats are out of control then it's not a safe place for children to be playing. If she's struggling to be able to afford to look after the cats properly I would also wonder if she's being able to afford to provide healthy snacks, activities and outings for the children that she cares for.

24. Likes ziggy, lisbet liked this post
    Sep 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 6 cats at home (1 feral) (ranging from 16yrs to 4 mths) - mine are all neutered, vaccinated, wormed and treated for fleas. I am fastidious with the hoover and my mindees never go home niffing of cat wee!!!

as mentioned Do you want him to stay in the care of this minder?

No - give notice and leave
    Yes - discuss your concerns with CM and work from there, if you were my mum I would welcome any concerns with open arms or else how can things be made compliant??!!??

Sept 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am an animal lover and have 2 dogs and 2 cats but even I can see 20 cats is excessive and I would have thought it impossible to have them all neutered, vaccinated, wormed and treated for fleas as needed. I would positively discourage anyone with allergies that may be aggravated by my pets from coming here, even if the animals are not in the room, the problem is still in the air. To be honest, I don't think you can do anything else but look for alternate care.

On the other hand, I am rather concerned about the childminder herself, sounds to me, like many animal hoarders, she loves her pets but what started as a love of cats has quickly turned into a situation that has got out of hand. Neutering is essential and I believe the Cats Protection League neuter for free or at least discounted, twice a year, it used to be March and September. Personally, if I came across this situation I would consider contacting the Cats Protection League and explaining the situation they may be able to help discreetly as I can imagine she may well be very embarrassed about the situation and unable to ask for help. As you have always been happy with the childcare she provides it might be a way of staying there but sorting the problem both to yours and her advantage.

Good luck.

27. Likes AliceK liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast