Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I've got Mumps!!

Hello all,

As the title says I've got Mumps! I had it when I was little so hopefully it is just a mild dose, it's more my glands that have swollen, feel fine apart from that.

Anyway, on the information my nurse gave me it says it's best to stay off work for 5 days after the glands have come up. But, the nurse also said it's giving the parents of my mindee's an informed choice. She said I would of been infectious 14-25 days anyway so they would of been exposed already. Both of my mindee's have had the MMR. Would you say I am ok to say it's up them if they bring them this week as long as I make them aware of the risks etc...?

Many thanks

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

poor you, I hope you feel better soon x

Im sorry I dont have any advice regarding mumps as i never had it x

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Awww thankyou Gail x

sept 10
    Post Thanks / Like

If they've already been exposed I would say its fine to give them choice. They can then do some research themselves. My daughter recently had hand foot and mouth and I just told parents and let them decide. All but one chose to come.

You might want to make them sign something to say they've been told so it can't come back on you if the child does get it

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thankyou - I will give them a choice I think - thanks x

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Personally I would be shutting. Even though your mindees have had their mmr they could still get it and eould then expect you to look aftet them.

Isnt mumps a notifiable disease?
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Jan 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh poor you, glad to hear that you are not suffering too much. I remember looking like a hamster when I had it years ago! I would say that if you feel able and willing to work then its fine to let the parents decide xx

Jan 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    Personally I would be shutting. Even though your mindees have had their mmr they could still get it and eould then expect you to look aftet them.

Isnt mumps a notifiable disease?
    Oops yes it is -I would close ,forget what I posted earlier!xx

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

It is notifiable but the nurse is notifying them so don't think I need to do it aswell? I have given the parents the bumpf to read through and have asked that if they decide to send there children in then they must sign a disclaimer to say I advised them off the risks.
    Ooooo it's so painful isn't it? Didn't really realise what happens when you get it but yes, I look like a hamster too! Apart from that I have no other symtoms xx

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

oh no, don't know what to do now. It's only because the nurse actually said for them to make an informed choice arggghhhh. I'll see what the parents reply is xx

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I always work on the principle of if I would refuse a mindee because of an illness I wont open if me or mine have the same illness.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

I would close if I was aware that I had a contagious disease, even though prior to knowing others could have been infected.

The fact is you know now and you have a responsibility to safeguard everyone as best you can, no matter what your nurse says, I bet she wouldn't put it in writing that the children wouldn't be at risk!

Also asking parents to sign a disclaimer that you advised them of the risks does not withdraw your responsibility it just confirms that you are willing to put the children at risk and asking parents to do the same.

And if you were to open whilst having mumps it provides an expectation that parents can send their children with similar ailments which is not good.

Sorry to disagree with the situation especially when you are unwell, but just imagine how you would feel if the children were effected!!

Get well soon.

13. Likes moggy liked this post
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all your advice guys. I've decided to shut...parents have got back to me and are fine - phew! It now means I can relax and feel sorry for myself rather than feeling bad for the parents. Thanks again for your advice xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Good decision! Get yourself right - sometimes you need to put yourself first.

Feel better soon xx

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Your right Sarah, I was worrying so much about how the parents were going to manage I forgot about me! Thanks xx

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

hope you feel better soon. put your feet up xx
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hope you don't have it too bad. Get well soon.

Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Get well soon xx

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hope you feel better soon, just wondered have you had a swab done to confirm it is mumps as I had a mindee many years ago who the doctor said had mumps (child hadn't had his MMR yet), so I excluded him and notified Ofsted that a child in my setting had mumps, I notified all the parents at the toddler group we went to with children under the MMR age that they may have been in contact with child with mumps - and then the swab test came back saying it wasn't mumps after all - must just have been a glandular virus.

Also one of my own daughters had mumps when she was 3 (before MMR injection was introduced) she later had the MMR when her little sister had it, but still went down with terrible swollen glands in neck and stomach when she was 6 - school sent her home saying it was mumps but doctors said as she had already had it and MMR that it couldn't have been.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

sorry hun, only just seen this....

The nurse said I have all the symtoms, she also said that the MMR is not 100% so even if you've had it you can still get it. I think I had mumps when I was younger so I'm thinking I've got it mild although it doesn't feel like it lol. Just got a swab kit from HPA this morning so should find out 4-6 weeks for sure. My face is still looking like a hamster - not impressed, and it hurts after I've eaten, boohoo. Thanks for the well wishes x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast