Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    dec 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Default here goes. ofsted

She arrived at 10.20

We were in the garden about to have snack.

She came in i checked her id she went into playroom loved the displays parents board n my plannin display so parents can be involved.

She got excited when she went into the garden. She watched us play n take pics of kiddies for obs n write obs which triggered questions as to why n what we do next n she looked in lj and loved it she spoke to parents had parent questionares asked how i manage assistant. Asked about safeguarfing....then about that complaint this week. Which she said i dealt with correct. However. The incident with my son should have been notified to ofsted in 14 days (safeguarfing) where i had logged on incident form. Id actioned it as i went up to sons school about what was goin on.... so outcome was inadequate. I sobbed. She said its not what she wanted to give i would of got good maybe even outstanding. She said to take comfort in when she says im doin everythin right n excellent but its that one issue that bought it to that result she said dont give up as the lil boy she saw loves it here his parents love him here and you can clearly see his developing here. It was almost like a kick in the teeth. Ive cried non stop. I understand the result. And now understand in everycase my own child or not i have to phone them. Me and my assistant were gobsmacked as in nurseries we kno that doesnt happen. Hense why as it only happened once it was logged. So yesterday i felt inadequte aftrr bein told i graded inadrquate and missed my sons sports day for the inspection so felt inadequate mom.... i loved my job till yesterday. My assistant even said she felt confident and never did in other settings with ofsted. Sad day for us then u have friends n family askin how it went.....and now i have to tell early years. Which i am so not looking forward to a grilling... :,(

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh I'm so sorry. Just remember your general setting is good/outstanding.

sept 10
    Post Thanks / Like

So sorry hope your ok. Which bit should have been notified. Your son touching the other boy. I probably wouldn't have thought much of it first time and would have just done an incident form. If it reoccurred it might have been different. Or was it the complaint after the event you should have notified??? Typical your ofsted was so close otherwise it may have been all sorted beforehand

Jul 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Not the overall grade you wanted but wont your full report show you are 'good' or 'outstanding' in other areas? Most importantly you know if was just that one incident that dragged your overall grading down, next time that wont be the case. Sorry i know it's not helping you right now but you are not inadequate as a childminder or a parent. Think of all the times you were there to watch your child at sports day or for other things (((((((hugs))))))

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

hon, I think you have to look at the way she viewed your setting and what she thinks of that.

with regards to the grade and the reason why. If you don't understand exactly why, ring and speak to her. Did she explain exactly what you should have done. With your grading now, will you be reinspected within a certain period?

I can't imagine how you are feeling honey but you must put your health first at the moment and try not to stress too much. Maybe take time to think about what you want to do.

Sending a huge hug. xxx
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Really really sorry to hear this. I agree with others - try to take comfort in the good and outstanding aspects the inspector talked about. I know that's easy for me to say. Well done on those, particularly with everything else, that's an immense achievement that you were still doing everything right with the children. And thanks for being brave enough to share this with us. Hugs.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Do you feel it was the wrong judgement? Do you feel it was just 'children being children'? Do you think it's totally wrong to blow it up as a safeguarding incident when in fact it was just a little bit of child silliness?

I will pm you xx

dec 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

It was child sillyness it had never ever happened before and when i spoke to him n he said his friends were doin it at school i was straight up there. And i will get monitoring visits every 3 months and inspection no later than 12 months. But doesnt feel right

Simona Guest

You must raise your objections and very quickly too
    I am not clear what the incident was about
    We were told yesterday that if we felt inspectors were wrong it needs to be raised...get support and advice

we want this practice stopped and looked into

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

if you do raise objections honey then I would say you should push for the reinspection to be early than a year.

Dec 08
    Post Thanks / Like

but if it happened at school should it not have been at the school that reported it?

if she only brought this up after a disagreement, then you have actioned her complaint by writing up the incident, bearing in mind Ofsted were coming in a few days

I don't think it is a safeguarding concern, if maybe when it happened she spoke to you about then she would have been upset and wanted to see that you had done something about it. But to only bring it up when she knew you were having an inspection, is wrong.

Surly if there was a safeguarding concern the school should be the one calling Ofsted?

I would appeal
    Sarah

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

so sorry that you're going through this. Not sure how old your son is but guessing about 4/5. It's normal developmental behaviour for most children to go through a phase of showing others and having a peek at others. It's all part of them learning about their own bodies and how other people are different and learning about acceptable social boundaries. Surely an ofsted inspector should be able to understand that.

I would question whether it was an actual safeguarding incident. Schools and nurseries certainly don't phone ofsted everytime it happens there.
    If you've logged it, spoken to other parent, risk assessed and and taken steps to stop him having chance to do it again then you've been able to show ofsted that surely your safegaurding procedures are actually excellent.

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if it's the same,my friend some years ago found two children with knickers down touching each other, boy was 6. Girl was four.
    She logged it talked to parents and risk assessed to prevent future happenings. The children were playing doctors and he was examining her.

Ofsted inspector read the incident form and told my friend it had been dealt with correctly, no mention of reporting it for safeguarding.

dec 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

She said i managed it well and complaint well and theres no issues there its because i didnt notify them in 14days of the incident happenin i got marked inadequate. I undserstand that and definately learned from it like a good hiding but....surely inadequate is real mean from this?! I just dont want to be treated by early yrs as someone who hasnt a clue. When i do. More than most. Since being registered i seen them once in january. I was registered in december. I been on safeguarding foundation and intermediate worked in nurseries and even have the advanced safeguarding from previous job. I hate not knowing what i will be made to do by early yrs

dec 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that blue bear. See i questioned it when she told me that and i said if it was other child done it to my child would i of had to phone and she said yes. In my policy it said any allegations of family members. There were no allegations there was an incident. Which i logged. The parent was present too. So i just dont understand now

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if it's worth phoning Ofsted on Monday and asking what the procedure is if there is an incident like this. Don't give your name, just ask the hypothetical question. If they say it doesn't need reporting, you have more evidence behind you to challenge the inspector's decision.

It does seem an incredibly harsh decision over something that happens a lot and which most people wouldn't consider a safeguarding issue. Blimey, if a school had to report it every time it happened, they'd be forever on the phone to Ofsted! In reception class one of my mindees was caught showing the boys what was inside her pants. School didn't even speak to her parents about it & asked me to do it! Mum was horrified when I told her, but at no time was it every considered a safeguarding issue by any of us.

Keep strong. You know you've got a lot of support here.

And if your grade does have to stand, use the monitoring & early inspection as an opportunity to show how fab you really are

18. Likes Kiddleywinks, The Juggler liked this post
    Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I wonder if it's worth phoning Ofsted on Monday and asking what the procedure is if there is an incident like this. Don't give your name, just ask the hypothetical question. If they say it doesn't need reporting, you have more evidence behind you to challenge the inspector's decision.

It does seem an incredibly harsh decision over something that happens a lot and which most people wouldn't consider a safeguarding issue. Blimey, if a school had to report it every time it happened, they'd be forever on the phone to Ofsted! In reception class one of my mindees was caught showing the boys what was inside her pants. School didn't even speak to her parents about it & asked me to do it! Mum was horrified when I told her, but at no time was it every considered a safeguarding issue by any of us.

Keep strong. You know you've got a lot of support here.

And if your grade does have to stand, use the monitoring & early inspection as an opportunity to show how fab you really are
    good idea mouse

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you should contact ofsted and ask where in the guidance it tells you that you need to report this sort of incident, I can't find it's and wasn't personally aware of it. Ive been googling and can only find reference to adults.

01/2008
    Post Thanks / Like

Leeanne I really feel for you - can you just clarify that the incident happened at school with your little one and the minded child (when did it happen and when did parent bring it to your attention)and that the parent complained to you about it over the last 2 weeks-you logged it as an incident but ofsted have pulled you up as you didnt ring to inform them of the incident. You went to school and spoke to them about it- I think the grey area here is that the incident happened at school not whilst the children were in your care sorry to go over it im just a little confused and want you to get the best advice out there x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast