Involving children in planning
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Involving children in planning

At what age would you start doing this. I have one child who is old enough to possibly have some input - 3 1/2- so I asked her this week and got no useful response. What do you all do? She has good speech but it can be difficult to get sensible answers!

Registered Childminder since
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Can you give her a choice of two options: shall we do painting or playdoh? Might get a better response.

mar06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Do picture cards of things you offer and things she likes To do and get her to choose

Post Thanks / Like

I know some people involve their children in their planning but not sure what age that would be expected so to speak. She has a lot of free choice through the day and will ask if she wants to do something. This is more involving her with her interests in future planning or is she still too young? Thought I'd give it a go and see what happened :-)

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I involve them as early as possible - and no, you are right, you often don't get a useful response to start with - but keep plugging on!

For the older EYFS children I have a doll who introduces new themes and activities. She comes with a little box of goodies - we look in the box, take out the toy or book or whatever - talk about it - ask lots of open questions to find out what the child wants to do next ...

It can take months to get it to a point where a child really engages - it depends on the child of course - but it's worth it in the end.

Our older children are brilliant at it now and virtually plan their whole session, deciding on resources, setting things up etc - we very rarely hear 'I'm bored' because they are so engaged

Post Thanks / Like

I think it depends on the child

I have two 3 year olds ones happy to get involved the other has no interest whatsoever ha

Angel xx

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sarah ... Ill keep going!! If I ask what her favourite thing to do is she will say something like poop all over the place and dissolve into giggles :-) that's a real conversation stopper!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks also Angel.....just seen your response. X