Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    July 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Question Ratio's Question please advise me?

Hi this is a little complicated so will try make as simple a poss. Ok I have a lad who is 6 yrs coming to me after school 3 days per week, His younger sister ( I will call her BEEP ) who is 3yrs in augest is ment to be starting with me in sept when she starts nursery 2 afternoons a week for 3 hrs no problem will be still with in my numbers.

Ok she was booked to start august a couple hours a week as & when just to get her settled as the child minder she attends at the moment (3 days a week 8 hrs a day)
    she took MONTHS to settle at & mum was worried as she is just starting to potty train her.

My ratios are

4& half yr old my own child starting full time school in sept.
    2 yr old 5 afternoons a week 3 hours
    2 & half yrs 5 mornings a week 4 hours. They are together by 90mins at lunch time so for that 90 mins i am full under 5yrs. ( except my's is at nursery 3 days )

OK HERE IS THE PROBLEM: The child minder who currently has BEEP has said that as of today she cant have BEEP as she is wetting the floor & sofa to many times & sick of washing it so until she is fully trained she don't want her. MUM arrived on my door to collect her son in tears ( the other childminders is the only one in a 11 mile radios & wont take the lad?? don't do older boys?? ) anyway If i ring ofsted & explain the mum has found a friend who can have her temp till 3rd June Then again from 8th July as she is away for a month on a cruse they will allow me to over lap & have 3 in my home under 5 yrs 2 days for 90 mins each day as mine is at school we have tried to sort as much as we can around this but the last 2 days we stuck mum is so scared what to do And to settle her in a place for just 4 weeks then remover her & finding somewhere help advice please I worried about ringing ofsted.

June 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

No need to ring Ofsted. We can grant our own variations now. As BEEP is a sibling of an existing mindee I see no problem with having more EYFS children. But remember you must never exceed 6 under 8 (years old) rule. Just do a risk assessment on how you will cope with an extra child and off you go .... good luck

3. Likes Hatchlings liked this post
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This is continuity of care, isn't it, as it's a sibling? From what I've read, I think this is ok if you do risk assessments to make sure that you can manage all the children. But I am a newbie here so don't take my word for it.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Have a read of Sarah's summary

Changing ratios - variations - a reminder

6. Likes Hatchlings liked this post
    July 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default helpfull advice many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_Knight View Post
    Have a read of Sarah's summary

Changing ratios - variations - a reminder
    many thanks this has helpped me & i will read it all again in the morning & will have a long think Contact insurance etc before i go any further thanks

8. Likes Rick liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You don't need to contact Ofsted or your insurance company.

You have to make the decision for yourself - we can help and advise but it has to be your decision because you carry the can if anything goes wrong.

You can have 4 children under the age of 5 for continuity of care in exceptional circumstances only.

This is definitely exceptional circumstances - mum has been let down at the last minute - the child and mum are distressed - you already look after the child's sibling.

Is it continuity of care? Do you already look after the little girl? I am not absolutely clear on that one from your post.

If it is continuity of care then you need to follow the rules in here - Changes to Conditions of Registration

If it is not continuity of care - you don't look after the child already and you aren't simply extending her days - then the rules as they stand at the moment say you cannot take a new child on and have 4 under 5.

I hope that clarifies. If anything doesn't make sense please come back and check again x

10. Likes Hatchlings liked this post