Help please with Healthy Setting criteria!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    July 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Help please with Healthy Setting criteria!

Hi! As some of you know I am currently undertaking the Healthy Setting Award in Devon. I have to compile a portfolio of evidence based on 60 statements. I have chosen to tackle the huge job by taking a page per statement and then finding the evidence. I'm about halfway through now but the statements are getting a bit tricky and I wondered if you could help with any suggestions of evidence I might be able to provide!

'All staff are up to date in their knowledge of diversity in order to ensure positive attitudes to people who are different to themselves'
    Well I last completed some diversity training in 2010 - I haven't really felt the need to do any more since then and tbh there isnt much available here at the moment. I have my Inclusion Policy which says that I embrace diversity and that I encourage the children to have positive attitudes but I'm not sure that's really covering the training aspect of this statement? What do you guys think? Does anyone know of any online training to do with diversity?
    Like my ideas on Facebook 'Play, naturally'

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont know of any 'training' as such - but Ive attached a doc about antidiscrimanatory practice i produced ( well , adapted!) which covers lots of diversity issues - there may be something in there to help? Sorry its 27 pages long! maybe you could say you were on a course which was follwed up by research and led to producing the doc - which you will use to 'train' and future assistants / students etc....

Antidiscrimanatory and antibias practice.docx

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

pacey have an online training webinar on 12th June at 7.30 pm 'meeting the needs of all children' not sure whether this would suit you but you could always give them a ring to find out more. it is available to both members and non members (members get it a few pounds cheaper)

http://www.**************/training/e...s_webinar.aspx

posting link above but it might get ********* out - pm me if the above doesn't with your email address and I can send you the link that way

Jul 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
    Hi! As some of you know I am currently undertaking the Healthy Setting Award in Devon. I have to compile a portfolio of evidence based on 60 statements. I have chosen to tackle the huge job by taking a page per statement and then finding the evidence. I'm about halfway through now but the statements are getting a bit tricky and I wondered if you could help with any suggestions of evidence I might be able to provide!

'All staff are up to date in their knowledge of diversity in order to ensure positive attitudes to people who are different to themselves'
    Well I last completed some diversity training in 2010 - I haven't really felt the need to do any more since then and tbh there isnt much available here at the moment. I have my Inclusion Policy which says that I embrace diversity and that I encourage the children to have positive attitudes but I'm not sure that's really covering the training aspect of this statement? What do you guys think? Does anyone know of any online training to do with diversity?
    'Up to date in knowledge' doesn't say it has to be training( in my interpretation) what research articles, books etc have you read that have informed your practice?

June86
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree the question doesn't ask about training but how you ensure all children and their parents are included in your practice and how you promote positive attitudes, so include your training, l think you could look at how you promote positive imagery through play with the children, how you challange your own assumptions of how things should be to guard against stereotyping, how you provide opportunity and support to allow the children to talk about fears and feelings about differences, do you challenge anti discriminatory remarks made by parents and children. Hope this is of some help. I like this booklet its a good starter and may give you some ideas.

Practical Pre-School Books..Inclusion and diversity in the Early Years
    Last edited by QualityCare; 23-05-2013 at 10:08 AM.

BuggsieMoo Guest

vision2learn do a free online equality and diversity training course :-)

July 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much guys! I've signed up with vision2learn and will also have a look at the book and mama2three's document. Also intrigued about the webinar!! Loads to be going on with! Thank you!
    Like my ideas on Facebook 'Play, naturally'