Well thats just wonderful!!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  23
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Well thats just wonderful!!

As you may know I have one mindee leaving in three weeks, so I have been keeping an eye out for adverts looking for care.. But I am waiting on one mum to make her mind up about nursery in sept to know what I have available ,, what I thought she wanted was to swap older ones hours for littler one when older one goes to nursery (eldest one does 3 days a week and little one 1 and 2 half days.. So thought I would be having little one three full days and older one maybe one day a week) today I asked her whether she had booked older ones place in nursery so I know what spaces I have ., she says no.. They want a 500 euros deposit and we are thinking of moving house!! So I said within area or out of it? She said dont know.. She grew up in country so would like to live out a bit but likes the facilities here. They haven't even viewed houses yet, but the fact she hasn't put the deposit on the local nursery makes me think she thinks there is a good chance they will move away!!

I suppose there is no way to hurry her along (wouldn't think she will easily get a place in nursery if she doesn't book it soon as they close in couple of weeks for summer!) but now I have no idea if I am trying to fill one full time space, or two part time ones and a full
    Time one!(will only leave me with one part time mindee) .. I had been thinking of cutting back a bit and maybe only filling the full time space part time!

What to do?!! Dh says look after myself (the men always have the business heads don't they?!) and give her notice if I fill the spaces .. She is a lovely mum after initial teething problems, I am not overly attached to the kids, so don't want to leave her stuck but she works from home so is always chopping and changing what she wants so its hard to plan.. And as he says they won't think twice about you if they decide to move or do something different (Both a bit tender after notice from other mindee out of the blue)
    It's the part I hate about this job the uncertainty!

Sorry just needed a moan to people who understand!!

Apr 02
    Post Thanks / Like

You def deserve a moan - parents always put themselves first and dont seem to understand that while we do enjoy our work - the main reason is to earn money to pay bills !!! I would keep and eye out and if you have an enquiry to fill the space have another word along the lines that you have had an enquiry for xx hours and appreciate knowing her plans as you dont want to miss out on filling a space as the opportunity has arisen.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've just had one who has been booked in for ages suddenly say they don't want the space. While I am pretty full and it is not the end of the world it's still a mess about as now I have to start advertising again - so I sympathise! xx

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Advertise! As completely unhelpful as it sounds, forget about them until they come to you with a firm enquiry because there are too many ifs and buts. I would advertise as if they don't exist otherwise you could spend weeks on this and get nothing back at the end. They will drop you in an instant if they decide they don't need you. If you find a nice parent in the meantime then say sorry to existing parent but you can't hold space forever whilst they sort their life out.

5. Likes Shamai, shortstuff, loocyloo, wendywu, Jods liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had several enquiries already this week from old ads, I am lucky that we are busy around here and I seem to offer something different )thanks to inspiration from all you lovely people) so i am sure I will fill the spaces, but would be easier to fill them with more full time than bits of part time that won't work around each other which is always my problem .. Very few people want full time it's all shift work/two days a week/afternoons

Just that sept and jan seem to be the busiest for people needing minders so would like to know what's happening for Sept before I miss the boat!

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by murphf View Post
    I have had several enquiries already this week from old ads, I am lucky that we are busy around here and I seem to offer something different )thanks to inspiration from all you lovely people) so i am sure I will fill the spaces, but would be easier to fill them with more full time than bits of part time that won't work around each other which is always my problem .. Very few people want full time it's all shift work/two days a week/afternoons

Just that sept and jan seem to be the busiest for people needing minders so would like to know what's happening for Sept before I miss the boat!
    That's good that your area is busy, see if you can invite a few parents for a viewing and maybe take on the most suitable

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

hon, i'd be honest with her if it were me. Say, look I know it's hard for you to know what you want to do but from a business point of view I need to know whether I need to fill your spaces for September as I cant' afford to be without children in those spaces. .

Ask her to have a think for a week and then please let you know. If she says she can't commit then say you will need to think about advertising. See new people and give her notice if something suitable comes along. I know that's harsh but it's business
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NI MINDER View Post
    You def deserve a moan - parents always put themselves first and dont seem to understand that while we do enjoy our work - the main reason is to earn money to pay bills !!! I would keep and eye out and if you have an enquiry to fill the space have another word along the lines that you have had an enquiry for xx hours and appreciate knowing her plans as you dont want to miss out on filling a space as the opportunity has arisen.
    This is a good idea.. Would I just tell enquirer I will get back to them, or how would u play it on phone?

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a parent putting their own needs first.

Equally, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a CM putting their needs first either.

No matter how much we get along with our clients, there does need to be a degree of 'professional detachment'. The failure of many CMs to realise this is exactly why so many CMs end up feeling hurt and personally affronted when clients make perfectly reasonable decisions or changes. Parents are not responsible for our false expectations of the relationship.

I would set some sort of date by which you'd like to know what the parent has planned, and tell her the date so you can get together and review where you're both at. It doesn't have to be a scary deadline in the sense of "book now or you lose the place". Just a date at which you will look at the facts and review your options. Then it doesn't come as a massive unexpected blow if you do have to give notice to accommodate a new client. Any enquirers who come along in the meantime can then be honestly told that you can let them know you're availability soon after that date.

Hope it all comes good for you.

11. Likes Ripeberry, Polly2, shortstuff, lisbet, mum26 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with a parent putting their own needs first.

Equally, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a CM putting their needs first either.

No matter how much we get along with our clients, there does need to be a degree of 'professional detachment'. The failure of many CMs to realise this is exactly why so many CMs end up feeling hurt and personally affronted when clients make perfectly reasonable decisions or changes. Parents are not responsible for our false expectations of the relationship.

I would set some sort of date by which you'd like to know what the parent has planned, and tell her the date so you can get together and review where you're both at. It doesn't have to be a scary deadline in the sense of "book now or you lose the place". Just a date at which you will look at the facts and review your options. Then it doesn't come as a massive unexpected blow if you do have to give notice to accommodate a new client. Any enquirers who come along in the meantime can then be honestly told that you can let them know you're availability soon after that date.

Hope it all comes good for you.
    Thanks Bunnyip absolutely agree with you, they are living with hellish neighbours who bang the wall in the night if the baby cries and I can't imagine living with that stress! Just hate hate hate settling newbies in and getting used to new parents, cleaning house after a days work for interviews Etc and have only just got into a nice routine with the last lot of new ones!! Will pin her down if I can. Today she wanted me to have the small one all day and I can't only the morning and she has gone to ikea to buy boxes to sort the girls clothes which are driving her mad cos they have grown ., would have thought she would be off viewing houses! Tho maybe this is pre move stuff

I just find it stressful not knowing and would like to have a period of time with no disruption to enjoy and get on with my job! Never seems
    To work out like that!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh and have put my ads up online again this am and responded to a couple of ads

Apr 02
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a good idea.. Would I just tell enquirer I will get back to them, or how would u play it on phone?
    If you think enquirer keen I would be honest with them and say that I have a parent himming and haaing over her hours and that you will check what they are definitely needing and get back as soon as. It looks good on your part that you are thinking of the wee ones you already have and trying to be flexible etc if you do take on newbie

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If something i really liked the look of then i would take it and give notice. I would never run the risk of being left with nothing
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wendywu View Post
    If something i really liked the look of then i would take it and give notice. I would never run the risk of being left with nothing
    Yeah this is the way I am having to think now.. It's up to a total of 48 hours a week for the two of them, my main earners really so can't afford to be stuck! Have put ads up and had couple of enquiries already so will just see what fits

Thanks all !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NI MINDER View Post

If you think enquirer keen I would be honest with them and say that I have a parent himming and haaing over her hours and that you will check what they are definitely needing and get back as soon as. It looks good on your part that you are thinking of the wee ones you already have and trying to be flexible etc if you do take on newbie
    Thank you! Can't always think how to phrase these things. !

Apr 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! Can't always think how to phrase these things. !
    I cant either - I am all very good coming on here with what I would say BUT put me in the situation and I am a bumbling tongue tied mess!!

Post Thanks / Like

Well good news guys! Had a lady out this evening with a gorgeous little girl 20 months and she wants 2 possibly 3 days a week, she booked me on the spot and she starts the week other little guy finishes! I offered her Monday and Tuesday, and she is happy with that so I have now managed to wangle myself most Fridays off!!! Am thrilled to bits, mum is lovely, little one sleeps in a cot, eats well, and sounds like she will
    Fit in perfectly!

Dec 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Pleased it all worked out for you in the end

Apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like

How lovely! Well done you xx