Babysitter... Swear word to the Childminder.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  19
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Babysitter... Swear word to the Childminder.

Does anyone else sometimes feel this? LOL

I was talking to someone from America and we got talking about jobs. I said "I am a childminder!" and she replied "A child... minder? Oh you mean babysitter!" Me, "No, childminder, not babysitter!" She said "Well, yeah, babysitter, childminder, same thing isn't it?" I just gave up in the end, but still felt a bit GRRR LOL.

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You could always say, no, its cruel to sit on baby's, I mind them - its safer

Don't take it personally, you can only educate those that are open to learning something lol

3. Likes loocyloo, watgem, Petshrinklj liked this post
    Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

To my American friend and family I have to tell them I run a home day care otherwise they call me a babysitter

5. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

A parent approached me at school the other day and asked me if I was "in the babysitting game for the long haul? only we've been let down so want someone who will stick at it!" Even if I had a space I would have have said I'm full! How rude!!

7. Likes watgem, Shamai liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

They are American just take it as they call football soccer.

Im sure she meant no offence
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

9. Likes Petshrinklj liked this post
    Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

And trousers are pants...and I was invited to sit my fanny down...which apparently is bum. That have fanny packs not bum bags.

I'm now wondering if I'm going to get starred out or not!!!

I don't mind what I'm called as long as it's understood that I've jumped through many hoops to get here!!

11. Likes FussyElmo, lisbet, kellyskidz!, Shamai liked this post
    july 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a child whos dad is America after looking after him for 7 years. He use to call me the babysitter in the first 3 years, he now calls me the childminder he is learning

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't bother me either way. Most people have no idea what a childminder does, so aren't intending to be offensive. If I am talking to Americans, or pretty much any foriegner I refer to myself as a childcare provider, cos most of them have never heard the phrase childminder (I personally hate the word childminder, I don't mind kids, I care for them, teach them, love them.....mind is such a passive word)

My dad sometimes calls me a babysitter cos he thinks it will get a rise from me, but since he is a vicar I just respond in kind. I mean a vicar only works one day a week after all. And then only 10 -11, maybe longer if the ladies make him a pot of tea with biscuits!

Don't worry about others, just be the best babysitter/childminder/childcare provider you can be.

14. Likes emma04, watgem, Petshrinklj liked this post
    Dec07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by singingcactus View Post
    Doesn't bother me either way. Most people have no idea what a childminder does, so aren't intending to be offensive. If I am talking to Americans, or pretty much any foriegner I refer to myself as a childcare provider, cos most of them have never heard the phrase childminder (I personally hate the word childminder, I don't mind kids, I care for them, teach them, love them.....mind is such a passive word)

My dad sometimes calls me a babysitter cos he thinks it will get a rise from me, but since he is a vicar I just respond in kind. I mean a vicar only works one day a week after all. And then only 10 -11, maybe longer if the ladies make him a pot of tea with biscuits!

Don't worry about others, just be the best babysitter/childminder/childcare provider you can be.
    I am an Early Years Practitioner to trade people and an independent child care worker to the rest!

But couldn't careless what i'm called providing im not called a babysitter (I do have to correct folk on this misrepresentation!)..............'Nanny McPhee' would suit me!

Mar 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't worry too much! If you don't want to be called a babysitter, next time, tell any American/Canadian you run a day care. My friend lives in the USA she is a childminder but she says she runs a daycare, same thing over there.

I worked in America and Canada has a nanny, alway a a babysitter to them!

Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Ha ha! Yes I'm a bit like Eddie murphy daddy day care!

Post Thanks / Like

I was only called a babysitter just this morn!! This lady was moaning about her job. I replied that my job never felt like a job as I love it (even though its ****** hard work!!) to which she replied

"Oh yeah but you're a babysitter aren't you!"

Blooming cheek!!

And she's as English as anything!! If people think our jobs so cushy why don't they ****** do it!!

Sorry but this does wind me up!! A LOT!!

19. Likes kellyskidz! liked this post
    Decembe
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Call me what you like as long as you pay on time

21. Likes shortstuff, Shamai, Kiddleywinks, ziggy liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaReed84 View Post
    Does anyone else sometimes feel this? LOL

I was talking to someone from America and we got talking about jobs. I said "I am a childminder!" and she replied "A child... minder? Oh you mean babysitter!" Me, "No, childminder, not babysitter!" She said "Well, yeah, babysitter, childminder, same thing isn't it?" I just gave up in the end, but still felt a bit GRRR LOL.
    No, I don't take offence at it.

I only wish some of the registered CMs I've met were anything like as good as some of the babysitters I've known.

Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

A teacher sent out a mindee to me saying "there's your babysitter"
    Cath

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Now, if you really want to be insulted, get a job on the railways.

There I was one day, all smart and clean in my freshly-pressed uniform, ready to answer questions, sort out people problems, reunite passengers with their missing belongings/children/partners, save the odd life, etc. Along comes a mum with a very stroppy child. Mum pulls said child to a halt, points at Bunyip, and declares loudly, "look - if you don't learn to behave, you'll never do well at school. Do you want to grow up and have to do a job like that?"

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Now, if you really want to be insulted, get a job on the railways.

There I was one day, all smart and clean in my freshly-pressed uniform, ready to answer questions, sort out people problems, reunite passengers with their missing belongings/children/partners, save the odd life, etc. Along comes a mum with a very stroppy child. Mum pulls said child to a halt, points at Bunyip, and declares loudly, "look - if you don't learn to behave, you'll never do well at school. Do you want to grow up and have to do a job like that?"

OOOOhhhhh ouch, some people don't think before they open their big traps.

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

If I'd been on top form I might have said to the child "never mind, at least you won't have to be associated with such a rude mother forever" Bang out of order! Bunyip, did you say anything?