Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Calpol to give or not to give?

Hi I was wondering what people have in their policies on giving calpol./ baby paracetamol.

I am revising mine as I have parents that send little ones with a bottle of calpol especially when teething and expect me to dose little one up all day.

I know teething is a fact of life, but when particularly bad I m not sure I should be doing this.

What do you do with regards to giving infant paracetamol for teething and colds etc?

And feedback appreciated

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sharonmanc View Post
    Hi I was wondering what people have in their policies on giving calpol./ baby paracetamol.

I am revising mine as I have parents that send little ones with a bottle of calpol especially when teething and expect me to dose little one up all day.

I know teething is a fact of life, but when particularly bad I m not sure I should be doing this.

What do you do with regards to giving infant paracetamol for teething and colds etc?

And feedback appreciated
    personally I would only give it when required not on a whim and not just cause parent says so. Not saying you do or are planning to, please dont read it as that. I also ring the parent at the time describe the symptoms and explain why I want to administer it. I then get an email or text from them expressing their permission before each dose. It makes them realise that I will not just give it without concern. Also that it is ultimately their decision each and every time. HTH

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I will give calpol for teething I take paracetamol if I have tooth ache :-)

Dont get them dosed up and I do recommend teething powders etc.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Think I will have to put something in my newsletter to remind parents about my policy, and tweak my policy a little. Thanks for the input

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    I will give calpol for teething I take paracetamol if I have tooth ache :-)

Dont get them dosed up and I do recommend teething powders etc.
    I was told on my first aid course that the homeopathic teething remedies contain extra sugar so please be careful what you give

I also dont give calpol for teething unless absolutely necessary as again on my first aid course we were told its only useful in bringing temperatures down and not to be used for teething....

Then again we all have different ideas (as you can tell Im not one who likes medicines unless there is a high temperature or some other issue that really really warrants it) and are told different things on courses and have different ways of doing things

aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have taken paracetamol for tooth schedule. Worked great. I give it to children for teething if they need it and get text confirming permission. Not sure why first aid course would say not for pain as it is paracetamol