Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Planning

Registered Childminder since
    Jan 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Planning

I am trying to find a way of planning that works for me, everything I try I am not getting along with. I have tried spider graph planning, basic lists and dates etc. I just wondered if anyone had a good way of planning which you love?

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I do individual planning based on their next steps. So my observation will cover the areas of learning, type of learning taking place and then activities I am going to provide to continue this. If I see a continuing theme/schema I write it up as a PLOD (possible line of development). This is where I would then write notes on all the activities and observations that are of this theme. I do not as yet write out a weekly planner for the wall (but I may do this soon as I am due an Ofsted visit in the summer), on this plan I would have each child's name down the left and then have 3 boxes for activities relating to them that I had planned for each week, inside, outside and creative. I would make sure that next to each box I had a reflection/evaluation box so I could note what went well and what could be improved for next time. I wouldn't then have additional planning for the group as a whole, maybe just a routines of the day poster on the wall, including story/song time, free play, meals etc.

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I do no written planning, as I plan each day as it comes from interests the children had the day before or week before, do in essence I do plan but I do not write it down, as I don't find it a benefit, for Ofsted I explained that I was child led and how my planning works

4. Likes mum24 liked this post
    Jul 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh CLL I like the sound of your sheet more than mine. I tend to initial activities to show they're planned for an individual's interest or development but it's a sheet of activities and where they fit in areas ( outdoors, sensory, creative, sand, water etc.) however I find many boxes can look empty for weeks just because it's an area of no interest( or opportunity) sometimes. I do have individual planning and observations as well. I think I may adapt to your style for my weekly planning though. Hope you don't mind me stealing it x

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My written work is purely for the benefit of others, but then again that was the case when I was teaching also. I do not need to do it to offer the same level of service, I just do it to prove I can/have done it. A complete waste of time but necessary all the same.

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Optimalstar View Post
    Oh CLL I like the sound of your sheet more than mine. I tend to initial activities to show they're planned for an individual's interest or development but it's a sheet of activities and where they fit in areas ( outdoors, sensory, creative, sand, water etc.) however I find many boxes can look empty for weeks just because it's an area of no interest( or opportunity) sometimes. I do have individual planning and observations as well. I think I may adapt to your style for my weekly planning though. Hope you don't mind me stealing it x
    Not at all, no good having empty boxes, looks like your not doing anything then .

Nov 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would advise some kind of written plan even if its just a plod with your next steps on from observations or childs interest as I know some childminders have been down graded due to not having written plans

the key is to ensure its all linking up - next steps from observation written onto planning as well as other bit you may want to add such as childs interests, Then observation done on some of the planned activities to show you have covered those next steps.

I have a monthly rough plan one the computer which we leave open. this has a lot of the EYFS wording (which Ofsted apparently like here) and I can add to it as an when. i also have a plod that we write next steps on or childs interests and areas to work on after doing a tracker form. this has helped me do the planning as I was really struggling too.

Our next steps on the children's observations are not all worded in the same way as the EYFS, as these are in childrens learning journal and We want parents to understand it but we do try to add some of the wording from the characteristics of learning on one line/photo observations just

I am also going to write a routine out to show ofsted that we do alot of child led activities and also attend many of the same groups each week and a babies planning is really their routine

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sharonmanc View Post
    I do no written planning, as I plan each day as it comes from interests the children had the day before or week before, do in essence I do plan but I do not write it down, as I don't find it a benefit, for Ofsted I explained that I was child led and how my planning works
    Exactly the same here. Had my inspection recently and Ofsted were fine with it

xxx

prereg
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm feeling abit like this about my planning. I have tried alot of different method's but none really.work for me in the long run. :-(

Jul 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CLL View Post

Not at all, no good having empty boxes, looks like your not doing anything then .
    Indeed

Seriously though I do agree the written side of paper work is generally for other people. The same with my written reflective practice. I write it down so other people( namely ofsted) can see how I reflect on practice and use what I've learnt. I'm always looking at how to change things for the better, I'm just not very good at selling myself nor explaining months/ years later why I did something so the written part is my reminder and evidence.