Hand towels and drying hands ehat do you do?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine have their own individual face cloth for hands, everyone has a different colour they seem to like that and don't use each others. I don't wash them everyday though. I thought we were trying not to be nurseries would you have a new hand towel or paper towels everyday for your own children?

2. Likes Dragonfly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chriss View Post
    Confused Is there a right and wrong ?? Using a towel/face cloth once to dry hands and put in the wash seems a tad excessive, after all their hands are clean.

Surely a clean one every couple days, for each child, depending how much it is used is ok ?

Why aren't things simple

Because Ofsted don't like to make things simple for us

Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I was advised that using individual hand towels and washing them midweek as well as end off week would be frowned upon by ofsted so I have now ordered lots of flannels and will ask mindees to put them in washing bin and then I can sort out for a hot wash. I was told cross infection from first hand dry o second even if towel is individual. This was a recommendation from CCF coordinator.
    Children are born with wings we help them to fly.

june 83
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I only have paper towels in the bathroom now, even when not childminding just think it is more hygenic to use than everyone drying their hands on a hand towel.

Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

What's most important is that hands are washed correctly and completely dry after ~ so long as your method of drying minimises the risk of cross-contamination I can't see any problem using whatever method you prefer.

We actually use disposable paper towels here, but that's just our preference.

By the way, here's a link to some downloads from the 'Wash your hands' campaign with really good posters, activities, stickers and other stuff:

Hand Washing for Kids - A Childs Guide to Hand Hygiene - Give soap a chance

7. Likes muffins liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

after a previous debate on the fourm about this i emailed my ( usually sensible ) environmental health officer ...

i was using a clean hand towel each day - we all used the same one. ... no way could i do that - unless i changed it at least twice!

however, he suggested each child having their own hand towel, that they and only they use each week!

i have ikea flannels, on a shower curtain ring, along with a laminated name tag, and these clip onto my towel rail! i change/wash them each week, or daily if looking grubby! ( generally depends on the child and hand washing ability!!! ) plus, some of my children only come for one day, or just a couple of hours after school.

i did use to use paper towels, but i got fed up of having huge boxes of towels to store and not much storage space!

Dec 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I have seperate hand towels for each mindee, they use their own towel only and I wash them twice a week, depending on how often they come. Ofsted were fine with this last time I was inspected, environmental health were also fine with this.
    Iam not going to change this in the near future, especially if it means more washing as I have 3 of my own children which creates enough washing already!

Post Thanks / Like

We use a serviette dispenser brought from makro like you get in a restaurant, after a couple of weeks of re visiting the issue and telling the children we only use two at a time, they are all really good at counting their two sheets and even correct each other when needed and the just go into normal waste as cannot be recycled as have been used. It all depends what suits you and the needs of your children you care for.

Sent from my iPhone using Childminding Forum

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Each of my 7 mindees has their own towel (each a different colour with a picture on), none of the children come more than 3 days a week - I wash the towels weekly - but if the Environmental health officer or Ofsted want to hear me say that I wash them daily - then I'm sure I can be "trained" to say that I do, but I will continue to wash them weekly or sooner if they are grubby. Only 3 out of my 7 are toilet trained thus washing hands after using toilet, the others only wash hands before meals, after playing in garden and taking part in messy craft.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12