Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default 2 year funding - lack of places

I read an interesting article on the BBC website earlier today about how childminders will be vital to the 2 year funding provision -

BBC News - Free nursery scheme '55,000 places short'

I am also doing lots of research myself into 2 year old funded places to write a new e-book -

Caring for 2 year olds - the challenges!

Do you intend to take on funded 2 year olds? What barriers do you anticipate?
    Last edited by sarah707; 07-05-2013 at 05:32 PM.

Jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    Link didn't work so I am just editing it out LOL!

Do you intend to take on funded 2 year olds? What barriers do you anticipate?

hope to be able to offer the funding.....i already do the 3-4 year funding. There were a few hoops to jump through for the 3-4 yr funding and i expect it will be similar (even though it is said it wont)

My issue is the money with the 3-4 funding- its a big drop from my usual fee.

wibble x
    Last edited by sarah707; 07-05-2013 at 05:56 PM.
    The bats have left the bell tower.....

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I can offer the funding. Shortage of places around here I wish parents can pretty much choose where they go as nurseries and preschools are not full.

Sometimes I wonder if it was worth getting accredited :-(
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

4. Likes Bob liked this post
    Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi

I do have children under the two year old funding and have done so last year and this year. I did see the article. The hourly rate was wrong as our local authority is £4.85 per hour. The main problem s getting the funding paid out which after this summer term should be better as currently we are paid at around week 10 of providing care.

What people forget is that these children qualify for 2 year old funding for a variety of reasons and may need more one on one care. For example the child I look after I have to bath and treat hair for lice every time she attends.

I do agree that the 3/4 year old funding is too low. We are paid £3.57 per hour and the excuse from the LA is that parents can pay our own hourly rate for extra hours but I find that parents are only interested in the 15 hours and no more!

I did read the feature and I am in Birmingham which was mentioned. I think the problem is that health visitors only think of nurseries of providing the 2 year funding and not childminders which is wrong so there are in fact enough providers in reality.
    Last edited by Tazmin68; 07-05-2013 at 05:46 PM.
    Children are born with wings we help them to fly.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I am accredited to provide funded places for 2,3 & 4yr olds, but have never actually had any space to take on a 2yr old.

I was at a meeting a few weeks ago when our LA said they didn't have enough spaces for the expected number of 2yr olds. They are now pushing for all providers (cms, nurseries, pre-schools etc) to take on funded 2yr olds. It makes me wonder what's going to happen to the 0-2yr olds & the non-funded 2yr olds. They really did seem to be forgotten.

Local nurseries can only offer a limited number of new places, so the LA does seem to be looking for cms to fill the gap. They are initially accepting the good & outstanding cms who have a level 3 qualification, but will in time register childminders who are satisfactory and don't have a level 3, but agree to take it 'at some time' in the future'.

7. Likes watgem liked this post
    Dec 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am going through the process becoming accredited at the moment and there is a Roadshow on Saturday giving more info about the funding for 2 year olds so I will see what help/advice we get there.

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I offer the two year old funding, have doen for a couple of years, got one pencilled in ready for next Easter!!!

May '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am able to offer funded sessions for 2 and 3-4 year olds.

Last term, the county asked which childminders had vacancies and I replied to say that I did, but have had no enquiries, either from parents directly or though county

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zoomie View Post
    I am able to offer funded sessions for 2 and 3-4 year olds.

Last term, the county asked which childminders had vacancies and I replied to say that I did, but have had no enquiries, either from parents directly or though county
    Same in my County... doesnt add up really

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been hoping to take on 2yr olds since before I registered! Hopefully I can, the LA has already approved me for their 0-2yr old scheme. Couldn't make the meetings about it (was either looking after other people's children or had no-one to take care of my own ) and was told they would circulate the info by email, but still waiting - hope I haven't missed the boat...

Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I was just accepted onto my LA network to offer the funded places last week and am now going to work at becoming accredited to be able to take 3 & 4 yrs olds too. I hope I'm up to it lol! I am very used to babies and under 2's (after working solely with them for 16 years!!) but I like a challenge I chose to do it now rather than 4 years ago when I started minding as the time feels right and I want to be as professional as I can.
    I also want to be able to give a child that is possibly disadvantaged the chance to experience a safe and stimulating environment. I know that sounds 'textbook' lol but its how I feel. Some kids have really shall we say not nice parents and if I could make a difference even for just a few hours a week that would mean a lot to me. Sadly one of my mindees who I thought would fit the criteria doesnt and as mum has lost her job he can no longer come to me. I know he will suffer as a result and its not fair I feel like doing it for free sometimes but of course thats not practical!
    I hope I start having enquiries soon as I have a few part time spaces that I could fit the hours into.

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a funded 2 year old at the moment. The only reason I have him is Mum was telling me she couldn't get him a pre school place until sept and as I know her and was aware of her being on benefits I asked if she would be interested in me taking him. I did all the leg work in terms of contacting the LA. They didn't know about him. The children's centre had told mum to push for a pre school place saying he has speech and language difficulties (which he doesn't!) andnot mentioned that there were other options! He has been with me for 3 months and has is staying with me for the rest of the year. Mum has been really happy. He is happy and asks to come to mine. What can I say? Childminders are a much better option for these little ones, just a shame we are not better promoted.

pre-reg
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Our LA gave a talk on FEET funding at last term's cluster meeting and said much the same as Mouse's LA did. My DO had asked if I'd be interested in offering FEET funding when I applied to join the Network after my first graded inspection in January and I'd said that I would. The FEET team contacted me soon after that about taking a child. That one didn't come to anything in the end, but I had a FEET child start with me at the beginning of the Easter term and had an email today asking if I can accommodate another one to start as soon as possible.

aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am posting the forms for 3-4 funded place and when accepted will go for 2 yr place. I will offer a Friday which I have never filled. My la say they want cm to have the younger children. I was told by a friend that there is no more work than any 2 yr old. Will wait and see!

May 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm just about to complete the process to become accredited. The LA don't seem in too much of a rush though as my final visit which should have been yesterday has been postponed until next week, this is the visit by a different CSSO but I have been told that I will be able to do it. I will then be able to take 2,3 and 4 year olds. Hth. xx

Jan 84
    Post Thanks / Like

Where I live there is no call for funding for 2 year olds and believe me we are in a problem area, I am thinking that cms are being by passed for pre-school and nurseries.
    Teacake2

Sep 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

We all seem to be saying the same thing. I am in Camnridgeshire, I am on a network and I am Accredited. Have been for the best part of a year and I have not recieved a single enquiry for either a funded 3 year old or a funded 2 year old. I even checked with my local sure start centre to see if they'd even put me on their list. I think all the referrals go directly to nurserys. I don't know why I even bothered getting accredited in the first place. Lots of work for absolutely no gain.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

arghhh! just typed long reply and pc then 'detected a problem' and closed the page down - losing everything i had written !!!!

ok... where was i?

i am acrediated and offer 2 yr funding. my LA pay the same ( i think now )for 2, 3 & 4 yr olds.

i was part of the 2 yr old pilot scheme, as i am in a rural area.

the difficulties i have experienced were
    a) a funded child had no way of getting to me ( or any other provision offering 2 yr funding ) as lived in the middle of nowhere. i collected and returned child, and LA paid mileage. this was taken from the childs funding, which then reduced the number of hours available for the child to access. i am not aware of anyone else having done this, or in fact doing this currently. i do know the LA said they would have to think if it was viable long term ( this was a child that came to me as part of the pilot scheme )
    b) parent not wanting anyone to know ( not that i would tell anyone ) that they were recieving funding for their child.
    c) parent not accepting funding as did not want to be told child was 'disadvantaged' and 'vulnerable'. in their eyes they were doing the absolute best for their child and did not need charity.
    d) parent not sending child in appropriate clothing/footwear etc with appropriate stuff ( nappies etc )
    e) child needing/wanting to eat more than i might expect. ( and i know this can be with any child, but seemingly more reluctant to eat healthily )

sorry - that all sounds very disparaging and negative and i don't mean it to be.

i think that the 2 yr funding is not just about the 2 yr olds, the whole family need care and support, with the parents having 'good parenting skills modelled'. you are parenting the whole family, not just the child. it is immensely rewarding, but you do need experience, not just as a childminder, but with life in general. good childminder support is vital as well. i am lucky, my local parent support workers are great, as are staff at the childrens centre. i have had, along with the parent support workers, to signpost parents to additional help, and this is not always accepted.

my 2 yr olds have been fantastic and have been wonderful to have around. some have continued with me and use some of their nursery funding, others come for extra hours and the parent pays, as parent can see the huge difference in their child ( and actually i can see a huge difference in parent as well )

i rarely have vacancies, but what usually happens is that the childrens centre contacts me and asks what i've got, or where i can wiggle anyone in! if i can, i can, if i can't i can't!