The continuing buggy saga....
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  30
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The continuing buggy saga....

My DH thinks I'm developing a 'problem' with double buggies... :-) I keep buying different ones (second hand / bargains), using them for several weeks and then getting annoyed with them and selling them on again...

Is anyone else like this?!
    Please tell me this is normal for CMs...

I still haven't found the perfect solution and it's starting to feel a bit like a 'quest'!

Here goes:

Phil & Teds E3 - great to push up hills and over uneven ground, ok for child in front, rubbish for child in back (not enough room, not comfy for sleeping, bad height in terms of cars/dogs/busy pavement). Sold for same price bought for.

Jane Powertwin Pro - comfy for both passengers if one in front doesn't need to sleep, but an absolute pain to push up hills or over uneven ground, very 'tippy' and veers to the right, rubbish on a camber (falls over!). Currently selling.

Mountain Buggy Urban double - brilliant for hills and all terrains, fits most standard doorways and goes on bus (with practice) BUT does not fit through my front door :-( Currently selling.

Most recent purchase: Pedigree Easylife Sport double/triple (third seat like a bike seat is removable). Almost exactly like the Mountain Buggy, folds smaller and a trickier fold (although I might master the knack!). Will probably keep it if I can't source an affordable ABC (see below), as I will have three non walkers in September.

I currently am eyeing up these two options (to be part funded by sale of two of the above):

Newer Mountain Buggy double - the Duet - narrowest side by side double on the market at only 63cm wide. Resale value looks really good.

ABC single with additional top and front seats, so a single, double or triple. Currently watching them on eBay - but have had a quote from Phil Green to import from New Zealand (expensive but worth it????).

Has anyone else gone through a similar process?
    What did you settle on in the end?

2. Likes watgem, primula liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

i was a nightmare with prams with my own children. i have been childminding about a month and im on my second pram already!

In my defence i love the second pram now so try not to look at second hand ones now-its a tricky habbit to break!

my first pram as a cminder was a phil and ted sport. HATE IT!

My new wheels are the joovy caboose-got hold of one for 50 pounds and i love love it!

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh yes, I remember those days well. My OH used to despair of me. The thing is you don't know how a buggy will work for you as a childminder until you've actually tried it in the job. At one point I had so many in the garage that I had bought, tried and then hated. I eventually sold them all when I discovered the Nipper 360 Double. I LOVE it. I now only have that one and a single City mini which admittedly I don't really like but it folds up great for the car and I don't use it that much as I usually have the 2 LO's. I sometimes use my double Nipper with only one child in as well.

xxxx

5. Likes loocyloo, watgem liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by suziealderton View Post
    i was a nightmare with prams with my own children. i have been childminding about a month and im on my second pram already!

In my defence i love the second pram now so try not to look at second hand ones now-its a tricky habbit to break!

my first pram as a cminder was a phil and ted sport. HATE IT!

My new wheels are the joovy caboose-got hold of one for 50 pounds and i love love it!
    I looked at the Joovy Big Caboose - but have a very steep cobbled hill to climb twice daily, so didnt as not convinced it woould work. I have two major issues to overcome:
    1) Narrow front door
    2) Very uneven, hilly terrain where I live
    Thing is, you can only find out by test driving with babies, which isnt always possible...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AliceK View Post
    Oh yes, I remember those days well. My OH used to despair of me. The thing is you don't know how a buggy will work for you as a childminder until you've actually tried it in the job. At one point I had so many in the garage that I had bought, tried and then hated. I eventually sold them all when I discovered the Nipper 360 Double. I LOVE it. I now only have that one and a single City mini which admittedly I don't really like but it folds up great for the car and I don't use it that much as I usually have the 2 LO's. I sometimes use my double Nipper with only one child in as well.

xxxx
    Yes - have pushed a double nipper with my sisters twins in - fab and very similar to Mountain Buggy and also does not fit through door sadly.

Sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had a few and have settled for the one I have now as I think its the best I am going to get! I have the britax b-dual which I really like for stability and compactness. Also it takes a car seat and both seats recline flat if needed. Can also be used as a single. Its lighter than my phil and teds too.

jun 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I am going to watch this thread with interest as I am currently looking for a new pushchair, much to my husband's disgrace!! I'm looking for a tandem that has room for both children and lots of bags! At the moment I have a horrid graco thing that is pur torture to push but was necessary back in September when I had 3 children under 2 and needed a pushchair I could attach a buggy board to. Most of my mindees are walking and want to walk so I need a pushchair that will be a single/double (like a Phil and teds but with more bag room, as mentioned before!).

dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi I currently have Mountain buggy double. I love it, its much easer to push than Phil&Teds.

From July I will need triple buggy. I would love to buy ABC buggy but ... can not afford it.

I was wondering if anyone tried to attach toddler seat (ABC buggy) to Mountain Buggy. Those two buggies look very similar to me.

It could safe some money.

Nov 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the ABC adventure buggy (gumtree special). It's fab I have the single buggy, and then a single seat, and double that can make it a triple. It's really easy to push with the three lo's in it. However I am 5' 4" and it does take a few tip toe moments to see over the top when the double seat is on top! Fits through the doorway etc, and easy to push - the wheels are massive. the only thing I haven't managed to pull off well is getting it in the car - I have a Honda FRV so a six seater with a pretty gracious boot but it's a bit tricky when folded up ):
    But on a huge positive it is very versatile and all the accessories i.e. rain cover and sun screens are great! good luck in your decision making (:

May 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Nipper 360 all the way xx
    I love my friends who live inside my laptop xx

13. Likes Trpta108 liked this post
    Nov 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MagdalenaS View Post
    Hi I currently have Mountain buggy double. I love it, its much easer to push than Phil&Teds.

From July I will need triple buggy. I would love to buy ABC buggy but ... can not afford it.

I was wondering if anyone tried to attach toddler seat (ABC buggy) to Mountain Buggy. Those two buggies look very similar to me.

It could safe some money.

Unfortunately I've never seen the Mountain Buggy - but the toddler seat has two 'pop' buttons to get it on and off the buggy.....

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to admit to a garage full of buggy's - most have been given by family/friends. Left in the car I have umbrella single and side by side double (cheap, no rain covers). For the school run I have a Mamas & Papas single and a double(obaby but the back seat is low to the ground and I don't really like it). My best one for school run is a Graco Satdium Duo but need a new one. Luckily, they sell new for about £120.

16. Likes watgem liked this post
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louise_Oaktree View Post
    I have had a few and have settled for the one I have now as I think its the best I am going to get! I have the britax b-dual which I really like for stability and compactness. Also it takes a car seat and both seats recline flat if needed. Can also be used as a single. Its lighter than my phil and teds too.
    We have this too and love it. We use it as above and also have the hard shell sleeper and a soft carry cot too. I have a single Maclaren (from free cycle) techno classic as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't feel so bad after all knowing I'm not the only person that does this... I currently have a nipper 360 v2 double (currently selling) a phil and teds explorer (currently selling) and a single Maclaren (currently selling) have just brought an Abc double/triple which I needed due to 3 under 2.... Need some space back before hubby really gets the hump and moved out :0)

Sept 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lauraring1 View Post
    I don't feel so bad after all knowing I'm not the only person that does this... I currently have a nipper 360 v2 double (currently selling) a phil and teds explorer (currently selling) and a single Maclaren (currently selling) have just brought an Abc double/triple which I needed due to 3 under 2.... Need some space back before hubby really gets the hump and moved out :0)
    I don't suppose ur in Kent are you?! I'm after a nipper 360....

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

My lo is 5 months old and is on his third buggy. The third one was given though so does that count. I have been through 6 in my three years childminding though. I think you have to as they get a lot of abuse. Oh and I get bored every 6 months and want another. As long as u don't buy new though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrsP2C View Post

I don't suppose ur in Kent are you?! I'm after a nipper 360....
    I'm probably not that far (depending on area of Kent) but I'm in Surrey...

june 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good dec11
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a garage full of car seats and buggys

My double is a baby jogger city mini !! Brilliant! Fits in my very small zafira boot with all seats up! Goes through front door! Perfect!

Also have a m&p Luna in pink and anther in black!! Perfect! Lays frat easy to push! Also goes I boot with 7 seats up! Have a 3 wheeler sine for the snow! And a small pink mothercare Jive for use in the house!

Had a maclaren double,silver cross double cosatto double! Mountain buggy double! All sold dos either wouldn't go on boot or front door!

pre-reg
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SammySplodger View Post

I looked at the Joovy Big Caboose - but have a very steep cobbled hill to climb twice daily, so didnt as not convinced it woould work. I have two major issues to overcome:
    1) Narrow front door
    2) Very uneven, hilly terrain where I live
    Thing is, you can only find out by test driving with babies, which isnt always possible...
    where abouts are you? just on the off chance you are near to me you could have a look at mine? im in w yorkshire x

Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I pushchairs, carseats and buggy boards in the house, the shed, the car and some at my mums!

My new obsession since having my baby in July is wraps, slings and carriers luckily they don't take up as much room but having just bought number 12 maybe it's time to stop! I do use them all though!

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast