Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: fear of insects

Registered Childminder since
    aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default fear of insects

Does anyone know of any story books that can help a LO understand why we need to have insects and not to be afraid of them. I have a couple here who are petrified of al insects and insist that they should be stamped on or killed. I am have a task on my hands to convince them that insects to lots of good things for us. I do the annual mini beast activity/theme but every time we go for a walk we have screaming and running away because of an ant!!

Apr 11
    Post Thanks / Like

No advice sorry. But will be watching for book suggestions because I have a 32 year old friend who would benefit from one!! And she's passed on the same fear to her children

Feb 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If you go to your local library they should have plenty of factual books about what insects do and why. As for stories I cant think of any along those lines but again the library might be able to help you.

May 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Stories such as Eric Carles Bad Tempered Ladybird is a good story my local library have helped on my chosen topic of incy wincy spider,

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

My ds (now 11) used to have completed meltdown with insects

We read arrhghh spider lots seemed to help

Although I am not a big fan, a huge spider was in my car last night and I was nearly sick at the thought of it falling on me, Dh was driving and laughing so much I was in pieces almost crying, I don't even know why I had that reaction as if it was in the house I would of squash it ( well next book) my dd on the other hand would have them as pets!!

aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes you see it's the squashing bit i'm trying to stop. The tiniest spider/bug/ant sends a screaming stampede through the house resulting in a cowering huddle behind the sofa that won't come out until the poor beastie is obliterated! And I really don't want to do this as insects don't bother me at all. I have seen a couple of books on amazon that may be worth a try.

july 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I really don't like insects myself and have to really steel myself not to cringe when looking for mini beasts with the children. It is the only time I get within a mile of them (insects that is,), and I am sure if anyone took a photo of me while I am trying to look so pleased that mindee has this thing crawling around their hand, it would look more like rigor mortis. I do try though, and find that the local library usually have some good books, even if I can hardly bare to turn the pages sometimes for what I am going to find on the next one.

In the garden this afternoon we found a ladybird, the first one this year, and my new mindee proudly and carefully carried it for ages on his sleeve around the garden, then after while became bored and put it gently onto a stone, looked at it for a moment, and then stomped on it.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd obviously be sensitive to a genuine phobia and try to help them with it but I won't tolerate children killing insects or bugs so they'd get pulled up on stamping on them and if they carried on killing them then they wouldn't be allowed to play outside until they could behave.