Parents signing my registeir
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Glitter Guest

Default Parents signing my registeir

Hello,
    I have read on some post recently that some childminders get parents to sign thier registeirs.
    I am worried that I don't do this!
    Is this a requirement of the EYFS, and why do parents sign it?
    Thank you for any help you can give.
    I am still new to childminding and Ofsted will be coming to do my first inspection soon and I want to get everything right.

Registered Childminder since
    Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't done this for years! It's to do with confirming hours. I send a bill out each month with the hours and if paid it means that they agreed with them
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Feb 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

This is something I've never been sure of either. I don't get them to sign, but have heard people say you are supposed to. Ofsted didn't question me on it when I had my inspection

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If you use the NCMA register book there is a space for parental signature. Because it is there I get it signed but I do not think it is a requirement.

Feb 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    13/03/11
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine just sign a monthly sheet agreeing times for invoice.
    Water a child with love and praise, and they will bloom!

Post Thanks / Like

When I had my inspection she looked at my register and said it should be signed. Everyone says something diff

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    West Sussex
    Post Thanks / Like

I use the ncma one and try to get parents to sign it but they drop off in a hurry on the morning and I hand child over to granny at school so it hasn't been singed for months, my inspection is overdue so I really ought to get it up to date just in case I have a fussy inspector

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

EYFS from September clause 3.75 states

Providers must hold the following documentation:

A daily record of the names of the children being cared for on the premises, their hours of attendance

I dont think it said this on the old EYFS so I would take it that we do now have to get it signed and it has to be exact hours which might be different from the hours you get paid for

Feb 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tashaleee View Post
    EYFS from September clause 3.75 states

Providers must hold the following documentation:

A daily record of the names of the children being cared for on the premises, their hours of attendance

I dont think it said this on the old EYFS so I would take it that we do now have to get it signed and it has to be exact hours which might be different from the hours you get paid for
    Still doesn't say it actually must be signed though

10. Likes Ripeberry, Kiddleywinks, Wheelybug liked this post
    Feb 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    13/03/11
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a daily record for mine and ofsteds purposes and a summary that is signed
    Water a child with love and praise, and they will bloom!

july 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to try to get my register signed, but some children are picked up at school or pre school, so parents are not able to sign anyway. I tried using a weekly register and asked parents to sign when they could, but because half the time they were in a rush, they were not happy about it, and I had one Mum who thought it was really sweet of her little darling age 2 to want to sign the register too, and gave her the pen to scribble all over it!!
    I now write as far as possible the exact times I have the lo's in my daily diary, and make a note of the reason why if the time differs from the usual contracted hours. If I know beforehand from parent that they will be late or early I ask then to email and I print it and put it in the diary.

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I use to get parents to sign but don't now because most children are dropped off by one parent and picked up by another and some of the children are neighbours and parents take it in turns to collect all the children so if I ask them to sign the register they cannot be sure of the times they are signing for so what is the point - how would that stand in a court of law asking them to sign something that I knowingly knew they could not be sure of.

Post Thanks / Like

I have tried to get parents to sign, and know its considered good practice, but also find it very difficult to get parents to sign on a regular basis. I would end up getting them to sign it monthly, which also doesn't seem right.

I have given up, based on the fact that nurseries, pre-school or primary schools, all keep registers but do not require parents to countersign.

My DO and OFSTED have not commented at all, and I am an outstanding, accredited childminder.

15. Likes christine e, Rubybubbles liked this post
    Mar12
    Post Thanks / Like

Most of my parents are good and sign it weekly, yet I've got one mum who's like a whirlwind when she comes in daughter 3.5 starts playing up won't put shoes on, coat on the usual stuff starts running around shouting and just being a right pain so never seem to have time to do it, collection with this 1 is always the most stressful time of the day and mum in no form makes it any easier.