Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Changes to the laws on gay marriage - and how it will affect us

For more information please see my blog -

Sarah's Blog: Changes to the laws on gay marriage - and how they affect childminders

I have to be honest and say I didn't find this blog easy to write.

It is very difficult sometimes to find the right balance between giving information and putting your own slant on it - but my brilliant proof reader tells me I have got it right.

I am very interested in your views and how you feel you will be able to support children when this law changes.

If you have made or intend to make any changes to your provision I have not mentioned in my blog please share good practice here as well

2. Likes funemnx liked this post
    Sept 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think your blog reads as a practical piece of advice and I cannot tell from reading it whether you have opinions on the subject one way or the other Sarah which I presume was your intention. I don't think I will need to make many adaptations to my practice as already think of families in these terms anyway but I like the suggestion about looking for books & resources which reflect the different make-up of families - whether gay or not.

Jun 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

OH MY GOODNESS!!!!

What???? I personally will not have issues with implementing changes within my setting as I was brought up to be open minded however. .....

We are a Catholic family and my son attends a Catholic school. Therefore it so happens that all the children I care for either attend my sons school or are siblings of those who attend the school.

Despite my views I have some very religious families who will not be as open as me.

I think for me the best action will be an update of my policy and having resources that are 'just here' rather than introduced to the children with a big fan fare!

5. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Your blog is so well written Sarah and very clear. I feel I have all the knowledge and reassurance now to meet the required change in the law in my setting. Thank you (as always!). As for contract / paperwork etc., I'm a fan of Morton Michel for my contracts and they have "parents" known as carer 1 and carer 2 which I feel ticks this box. Its just a quick check of all my other paperwork which I produce to check the wording.

Can anyone recommend any books to buy, this is one area of inclusion I don't have covered.
    Wellybellyxxxxxxxxx

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Book I have is called - and tango makes three.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

This website does a fab range of books to cover all sorts of subjects, not just same sex relationships.

I look here for the ones I want, then search the net to see if I can get them cheaper anywhere else!

Letterbox Library

aug 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Thankyou Sarah

I dont need to change any of my paperwork , they dont state mother and father anyway

and all policies read "family member" or "carer"

most of my families are not traditional anyway , including my own as a single parent so we already talk about various types of families

and the boy dolls are always kissing each other here

Yay Im sorted

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sarah your blog makes interesting reading and a good reminder for me to check wording on paperwork.

Mouse - thanks for that website link.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

well written as usual Sarah

I will check my paperwork after my holiday, good idea to have parent 1 and parent 2 - one for my checklist to do

My SIL is gay, has a donor child (as did her now ex partner by same donor) and had a civil partnership years ago so my own children have grown up very accepting to all sorts of family dynamics.
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clareelizabeth1 View Post
    Book I have is called - and tango makes three.
    They do books on having a threesome Well i never mrs
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

OCT 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Good information as usual Sarah, I am very open to same sex relationships, my youngest daughter is in one, but I hadn't thought about putting parent 1 and parent 2, which makes perfect sense. I will change my paperwork ASAP

Allie

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks Sarah, reads as very practical advice. will be checking all my paperwork - pretty sure it all says parent(s)/carer(s) but will check through for mother/father references.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

apr 87
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Out For Our Children

I use this site for Diversity resources, it has Foundation stage teaching packs and 2 posters (Real families rock) my mindees love them as they are in cartoon form and colourful.
    Also if you get the chance to go to any Chrissey Meleady courses take it. We did the ENCO training with her last year and she covered all forms of discrimination.

Tango makes 3 is a great book.

This is also a good document to read

Ofsted | Good practice resource - Creating an inclusive school community: Central Street Infant and Nursery School

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sarah, that was very thought provoking and opened up a debate in my house. Everything I think i have dotted an I and crossed a t there is more to learn, not that I am complaining at all just wish our parents could see what effort goes into care for the children. Will double check paperwork tomorrow and look at the links provided.

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The only form I have which mentions mothers and fathers is the parental responsibility form and that wording is taken from a government site - if proposals go ahead will be interesting to see how they reword it

Cx

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done as usual Sarah. I think im ok on paperwork but do need to build resources. Thanks for reminding me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marie55 View Post
    Out For Our Children

I use this site for Diversity resources, it has Foundation stage teaching packs and 2 posters (Real families rock) my mindees love them as they are in cartoon form and colourful.
    Also if you get the chance to go to any Chrissey Meleady courses take it. We did the ENCO training with her last year and she covered all forms of discrimination.

Tango makes 3 is a great book.

This is also a good document to read

Ofsted | Good practice resource - Creating an inclusive school community: Central Street Infant and Nursery School
    Very interesting reading indeed, supporting transgender children is something that never even crossed my mind until I read this. Thanks.

20. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Well written Sarah - this has prompted me to check my setting

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought about this last night & wondered if I needed to change anything, then thought "Shouldn't we all be doing this now anyway?"

Same sex relationships already exist and we should be aware of that & be set up for that already. Simply having the change in law doesn't make it something new. My paperwork already states parent 1 and parent 2 and hasn't said Mother & Father for years. And my resources already reflect diverse families.

As childminders we should all be non-discriminatory and shouldn't need a change in law to make us start thinking about this. Surely we should be doing it already?

23. Likes christine e, TNT liked this post
    Jun 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I thought about this last night & wondered if I needed to change anything, then thought "Shouldn't we all be doing this now anyway?"

Same sex relationships already exist and we should be aware of that & be set up for that already. Simply having the change in law doesn't make it something new. My paperwork already states parent 1 and parent 2 and hasn't said Mother & Father for years. And my resources already reflect diverse families.

As childminders we should all be non-discriminatory and shouldn't need a change in law to make us start thinking about this. Surely we should be doing it already?
    I totally agree - whilst there has change in the law, I don't think this is a significant change as far as our children are concerned, as the difference between civil partnership and marriage is quite subtle from a small child's point of view. I'm not sure what difference it makes?
    Apologies for the random full stops. Phone buttons too small, thumbs too big.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast