conjunctivitis - parent asking if child can come tomorrow?? what does everyone think?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default conjunctivitis - parent asking if child can come tomorrow?? what does everyone think?

what do you all think I need to get back to her, i don't have it in my policies to exclude but frightened everyone else will get it?

apr 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    'good'
    Post Thanks / Like

There is great controversy over this subject... personally I don't allow until the eyes have stopped weeping because it gets passed on, plus it's miserable for the child

Nov '11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good!
    Post Thanks / Like

I allow back to setting once treatment has started so providing child has started in eye drops etc then it will be fine.

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I had this a few weeks ago...green 'snot' oozing out of eye. Not exactly what I would term as conjunctivitis, more sticky eye. It occurred more as a result of children having heavy colds, streaming noses and the like, so a few of them did get it but not all. Our local primary school does not exclude for conjunctivitis and I have tended to follow this. However if the child is rubbing eyes and they are streaming then perhaps best not to have at your setting.

sept 20
    Post Thanks / Like

If treatment has commenced - drops, cream etc, I accept them back to the setting. As long as hygiene procedures are followed - lots of hand washing etc, then it has never been passed onto another child.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Just be aware that more and more doctors do not prescribe treatment because they are cutting back on the drugs and it has been shown that this clears up in about three days without treatment anyway.

I have never excluded and have never had a problem.

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks Rickysmiths, never had a child come with this before, wasn't sure what to do....

july 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

It would depend upon the other children in my setting, i.e. if I have a young baby, or a child with other medical problems, I would exclude, but at the end of the day really it is what you are comfortable with, exclude if you are unhappy about it.