Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    june 98
    Post Thanks / Like

Default anybody know how to get rid of the smell

Need lots of advice please
    I have had in the last week three of my minded children been sick in the house all on different days.My house now stinks.I have scrubbed the affected areas, i have put washing powder down (when dried) and left it for a few hours, (of a night when i have finished work) i have also sprinkled bicarbonate of soda on the carpet and left over night (no the carpet didn't rise) The smell is horrid.And to top it off one of the little darlings was sick just before the school run today all over the sofa and it's a material one.
    Anybody got any other good tips that i can do over the weekend. OH is not happy HELP

Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a friend who mentioned pet accident cleaner as its used for cleaning body fluids. Other than that can't think of anything you haven't already tried.

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Do the bicarbonate of soda or baking powder over the affected areas, leave overnight for several nights if it's really bad. Pavement chalks absorb smell really well,just put them down over the affected area and leave as long as you can.
    Have you tried a carpet wash or fabreeze?
    Last edited by blue bear; 23-03-2013 at 07:37 AM.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you afford to have it professionally cleaned and put the cost through your accounts as an expense?

5. Likes moggy, watgem, Rubybubbles, ziggy liked this post
    apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Zoflora is a really good strong smelling disinfectsnt! I've used it plenty of times, put it in the water while scrubbing!

Apr 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I find burning Lemongrass oil in an oil burner is quite effective at masking odours. It's fab for getting rid of strong cooking smells. Perhaps try it alongside cleaning the areas with a good cleaning product with anti bacterial qualities.

8. Likes watgem liked this post
    Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

Febreeze? And shake n vac...masks it until you can get it done professionally. Poor you though, what a week!

10. Likes watgem liked this post
    Feb 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    13/03/11
    Post Thanks / Like

White vinegar or bicarb of soda
    Water a child with love and praise, and they will bloom!

june 98
    Post Thanks / Like

Default wendy1967

Thank's for all the replies going to give them ago that's my weekend gone the.Oh well i just wont be able to play in all the snow that we have,that they said we were not going to get.boohoo.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a mixture of tea tree and lavender oil in a water spray (sometimes neat, depending on the fabric - but patch test first and not when kids are around).

I used to look after a little boy who vomited when upset, on a daily basis on my sofa - all down the 'crevices'... It happened so often I ended up buying a loose cover / throw thing :-(

14. Likes watgem liked this post
    Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JumpingJacks View Post
    White vinegar or bicarb of soda
    was going to suggest the same

The smell is the bacteria, so if it still smells, it's still active I'm afraid!

(not the same but when my dog was a puppy and training white vinegar spray and bicarb left overnight brilliant!) I also have a carpet cleaner which helps!!

May 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Wash with a solution of white vinegar and water then sprinkle with bicarb and leave over night. You might need to do it a few times till smell totally goes. I always think I imagine the smell is still there when it isn't though.
    Have heard the pet accident stuff is good too although never tried it.
    Good luck

Apr 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

The reason you probably can't get rid of the smell is becaits possibly gone right through to the underlay. I have had this when a child weed all over mine - a full bladder!. You need to pull the carpet back and clean the underlay and let it completely dry before putting the carpet back down then clean the carpet again. Worked for me.
    I'm not paranoid - the world IS out to get me!

18. Likes jillplum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My hubby cleans carpets and what people are saying about the bacteria is true, he sprays with an anti bac agent, the clear type you can get in tescos will be fine the stuff you put on your kitchen counters (test an area first) also daftbat is right too you need to clean underlay if hone through and spray with antibacterial stuff too, let fully dry before putting back or you'll get mould

june 98
    Post Thanks / Like

Default wendy1967

Thank's for all your good tips.well an update i spent all saturday cheaning sprays on my sofa plus ariel actlift gel all over it and scrubbed until their were lots of bubbles.wacked heating up and hairdryer on it now smells like a fresh load of washing.sorted. now the carpet luckily i have wooden floors so not much carpet sorted that out scrubbed with anti bacterial spray when it was dried used, do you all remember the advert do the shake and vac and put the freshness back,well that was me.vanilla fragrance, and got a scented raspberry stick (smells yummy) The house smell great.On the down side my other half and number 2 son have now caught the sickness bug,so now i am nurse.oh well at least they can manage to be sick in the bucket. Thank's x

Apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like

poor you - hope next week is better xx