Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 2 year assessment with delays?

I'm just in the middle of writing a 2 year assessment for a mindee...my problem is that he has developmental delays (no speech,poor motor skills) do I put in the assessment any of this or just what he CAN do? Don't want it to be too negative and i've stressed what a kind nature he has/he loves music,etc but atm it's only a few lines for each area as there's so little he can do.

I've put a note on there regarding his referral and portage.

OCT 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Just been told at training to put concerns in health visitor red book the one all children have, as helth visitors haven't got time to read our reports!!! Well I have never seen a child's red book so that's means something else to request and get premission to use. I bet it will always be children you are concerned about who have parents who wont let you add to book

3. Likes watgem liked this post
    Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I write something positive in each category with next steps. I then highlight which age bracket the child's development currently falls into, you could always leave that off as health visitor will be aware where the child's development falls. Parents should not get any surprises on the check as they should already be aware of what the child can do.

OCT 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Just been told at training to put concerns in health visitor red book the one all children have, as helth visitors haven't got time to read our reports!!! Well I have never seen a child's red book so that's means something else to request and get premission to use. I bet it will always be children you are concerned about who have parents who wont let you add to book

June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I make all my under 5 bring red book everyday but would feel odd writing my concerns in it

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

No chance of me seeing his red book i'm afraid....mum is struggling to accept that there's a problem.

I have written a couple of lines (things he CAN do) in each heading for prime areas but it barely fills a page-my other assessments are normally 2-3 sheets....ah well!

jan 95
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had a similar problem. Very difficult when a parent doesn't want to hear that their child may have a problem. I wrote some things that, if the Health Visitor ever sees it, she should pick up on. My parent didn't write anything in their part of the form, in the end I gave up asking and just got her to sign it and gave her a copy.

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

The LO mentioned above has just come for a visit and mum told me he has been diagnosed with Autism.
    I said he had this from day 1 though obviously not to mum.

Feel sad that I was right but glad they will now get the support they need.

10. Likes AgentTink liked this post
    Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a big step forward,mum has no choice now but to face the problems, it is awful as a parent to accept your child is not on the 'normal' route and it's quite normal for parents to put the blinkers on for a while, at least lo was getting all the right support from you all along.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I rang up our Health visitor team and asked them when they generally carry out the 2 year check - I was told it would be at 2 1/2 years old and also told me after I had cleared permission with the parent to send a copy to them so they have time to read before his review.

Mar 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

We were told, at a two year old training evening, we were not to write anything negative. When we challenged why bother at all, if we were not allowed to high light any concerns or problems, we were told...."We are hoping parents read in between the lines" Another document that is a waste of our time, if you aske me.

14. Likes Logan liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I write the good then the bad then the good, bit like a sandwich. If you don't write where they are struggling then how can you show what you are going to do to help them get over it?

I have a summary to send to the HV which states are there any areas they are struggling in? To complete this I need parental permission and I cannot put one thing on the 2 YOC and then something else on the report
    Debbie