Likes Likes:  36
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Default WE HAVE LODGERS IN OUR GARDEN!!!

During our lunch time me and the los look out for birds in the garden. They love it if they see them so I have been encouraging birds to the garden by leaving food for them and putting up fatballs etc...

Yesterday I noticed several robins hopping about so I watched where they flew off to and discovered we have them nesting in the bird box my dd made when she was in year 2 of primary school! Its been there nine years and Ive never noticed any birds in it before now.

The los will be so excited when I tell them on monday!

I even managed to get them flying in and out of the box on video! (the robins, not the los!)
    If all else fails......add glitter!

Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Love robins they make me smile, they seem so tame at times, they kept coming onto my shed when dh was working in the garden as if
    they were watching him
    Cath

3. Likes silvermist liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We have a garden full of birds - it costs us a fortune in food for them!

Have you seen the bird feeders you can attach to your window? We've got one of those & if we're too late out feeding the birds in the morning they come & sit on the feeder looking through the window at us!

5. Likes silvermist, loocyloo liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Arent robins supposed to be quite evil?
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    Arent robins supposed to be quite evil?
    It's our blackbirds that are evil. They sit waiting for the squirrels to arrive, them swoop at them to frighten them away

8. Likes FussyElmo liked this post
    Jun 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silvermist View Post
    During our lunch time me and the los look out for birds in the garden. They love it if they see them so I have been encouraging birds to the garden by leaving food for them and putting up fatballs etc...

Yesterday I noticed several robins hopping about so I watched where they flew off to and discovered we have them nesting in the bird box my dd made when she was in year 2 of primary school! Its been there nine years and Ive never noticed any birds in it before now.

The los will be so excited when I tell them on monday!

I even managed to get them flying in and out of the box on video! (the robins, not the los!)
    Thats lovely. One of my LOs has a big interest in the birds and we've bought a birdbox with camera/microphone/nightvision and rigged it up to the TV. I'd love to have robins in it!

There are bird forums which show you how to rig up a daytime camera using a webcam quite cheaply... might be worth doing. Excellent fun if the robins lay eggs, watching them hatch and be reared
    Apologies for the random full stops. Phone buttons too small, thumbs too big.

10. Likes silvermist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah I love robins, we have just evicted some starlings that have used our eaves for several years to near in as they have started to cause problems in our very tiny loft space. Im hoping we might see some more birds now we don't have loads of starlings!

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    We have a garden full of birds - it costs us a fortune in food for them!

Have you seen the bird feeders you can attach to your window? We've got one of those & if we're too late out feeding the birds in the morning they come & sit on the feeder looking through the window at us!
    One of my los Dads gave me one of the window feeders and I cant wait until the birds decide to use it.

I love robins too!

Fussy they cant be evil...Ive always told my kids that they watch you in the winter and then go and tell Santa if youve been good!

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LauraS View Post
    Thats lovely. One of my LOs has a big interest in the birds and we've bought a birdbox with camera/microphone/nightvision and rigged it up to the TV. I'd love to have robins in it!

There are bird forums which show you how to rig up a daytime camera using a webcam quite cheaply... might be worth doing. Excellent fun if the robins lay eggs, watching them hatch and be reared
    What a great idea! I shall look into it for definate. Thanks xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

One of my los Dads gave me one of the window feeders and I cant wait until the birds decide to use it.

I love robins too!

Fussy they cant be evil...Ive always told my kids that they watch you in the winter and then go and tell Santa if youve been good!

So that's why they peer through at us! It's not because they're waiting for food, it's because they're checking up on us. I'd better start behaving when they're around!

15. Likes silvermist, caz3007 liked this post
    Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

So that's why they peer through at us! It's not because they're waiting for food, it's because they're checking up on us. I'd better start behaving when they're around!
    Do they seriously wait for you to come and feed them? How long did it take for them to start using the feeder? x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Do they seriously wait for you to come and feed them? How long did it take for them to start using the feeder? x
    It took about a week for them to start looking at it. They'd sit in the tree, hop quickly onto the feeder, then fly away again. I guess they were testing how safe it was. After a week they'd grab a piece of food, then fly off. They gradually stayed on it for longer and now they sit quite happily watching us through the window. They're very tame. When we go outside they'll fly into the tree, but they don't go far away & will be back at the feeder before we've come back inside.

We've got 3 bird tables, several hanging feeders & the window one. It takes ages every morning to fill them up!

18. Likes silvermist liked this post
    Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

It took about a week for them to start looking at it. They'd sit in the tree, hop quickly onto the feeder, then fly away again. I guess they were testing how safe it was. After a week they'd grab a piece of food, then fly off. They gradually stayed on it for longer and now they sit quite happily watching us through the window. They're very tame. When we go outside they'll fly into the tree, but they don't go far away & will be back at the feeder before we've come back inside.

We've got 3 bird tables, several hanging feeders & the window one. It takes ages every morning to fill them up!
    My window feeder is clear plastic, is yours like that? I cant wait to see them use it. Its on the playroom window, do you think the los being in there may put the robins off using it? x

oct 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Cant wait to get my garden extended we will have a nature area and will be hoping to encourage more wildlife into the garden

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

To be totally honest Im afraid of big birds like pidgeons etc but do love to watch little birds hopping about. x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My window feeder is clear plastic, is yours like that? I cant wait to see them use it. Its on the playroom window, do you think the los being in there may put the robins off using it? x
    Yes, that sounds like ours. Once the birds start using it they become quite brave. Out cat sits about 3ft away from it, but he doesn't put them off, not that he seems bothered about them.

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, that sounds like ours. Once the birds start using it they become quite brave. Out cat sits about 3ft away from it, but he doesn't put them off, not that he seems bothered about them.
    Ok, so now Im really excited! I shall keep you posted when we get birds using it. xxxx

24. Likes Mouse liked this post
    Dec 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

We have several different types of birds visiting our garden. A robin is a regular and seems to think he owns the garden and all the feeders, he chases the blackbirds and starlings away!

26. Likes silvermist liked this post
    Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

I've tried and tried to attract birds, but the local cats (or maybe my offerings are not good enough!) seem to keep them away Am very jealous!!!

Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

My parents have blue tits that nest in a box and have done so now for over 10 years. My ds was fascinated as to when we cleaned out the box after all had flown as to why the nest was square in shape.
    Children are born with wings we help them to fly.

29. Likes silvermist liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast