Looked After Child - Info and Advice please!!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Looked After Child - Info and Advice please!!

Hello,

I have a looked after child in my care for the past two weeks - full time. Very little information has been passed on from Children's Services and already this has already raised a Safeguarding concern for my other mindees. This is my first time having a Looked After Child as new to Childminding. It feels at the moment that the rule book in certain respects is being thrown out the window and no support! I am coping although in bed at 8:00pm last night!

I am just wondering if anyone else has had a Looked After Child and what records they kept as trying to ensure all t's are crossed and i's dotted as I suspect when Children's Services do decide to make contact they will be expecting something as well as I want to cover myself. Also as an EYFS child what happens with OFSTED when they come, what will they be expecting in terms of paperwork with this child? Has anyone been inspected with a Looked After Child in their care?

Many thanks in advance.

Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Treat child like any other and that is also what ofsted would expect. I would demand info in child in my case ask that someone completes all about me doc. I would be mindful when taking photos for observations and that child only appears in their own lj and not others
    Children are born with wings we help them to fly.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You can't work without documentation - it's a statutory requirement of the EYFS!!

No documentation = you are not working to legal requirements = no care until everything is signed.

If the child is challenging you need to ask for urgent support too.

Hugs xx

Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am surprised that they are using yourself to provide childcare as you are newly registered. In my la if you are providing childcare for the local authority you need to be a network minder with quite a lot of experience. Depending on who is paying for childcare I would keep on too of asking fees to be paid on time. I have had a number of issues with ss not paying childcare costs for several weeks. I have just pundit that 2 weeks of diary sheets that I submitted on the 14 feb will not be paid until around 5 April.
    Children are born with wings we help them to fly.

Sept 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tazmin68 View Post
    Treat child like any other and that is also what ofsted would expect. I would demand info in child in my case ask that someone completes all about me doc. I would be mindful when taking photos for observations and that child only appears in their own lj and not others
    Good advice about photos. I am a foster carer and just writing in my training portfolio about keeping good records! (Well skiving on here really). Write down anything that gives you cause for concern, just as you would any other child and just be doubly aware that your records may be needed so ensure they are clear, concise and factual - no opinions, make sure they are accurate and include dates, times , etc - you know all this already! If you have safeguarding concerns you need to discuss this with the child's social worker immediately and be careful to ensure that the other children aren't at risk. They are reluctant to give out any information that would be considered sensitive because of confidentiality. Is there someone in your Early Years Team who you could contact for advice and support?

With regards to EYFS just normal records to show how you are helping child develop and I suppose Ofsted might want to see how you're working with any other professionals involved.

Sarah 707: Does there need to be a contract? I thought legally it was just name, address, dob, etc - has this changed?

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you one and all for advice and info. Yes, completing all EYFS documentation as usual All About Me etc, and keeping daily notes/diary with how each day has went etc. as well as other EYFS documentation obs, Learning Journey etc. Just was afraid missing out anything extra. Thanks for advice on photographs, very important point and I ensure this as a key priority.

This has definitely helped me put everything into perspective. I was afraid missing out on something and starting to panic!

Early Years have said as an out of borough placement may not be able to fully support only if the other authority agree! However, I have set out a very detailed letter to CS to request full info and everything I require as I feel this is needed to aid me to provide for the needs of the child.

Thanks again, for the info and advice Feel much better now!