Ideas for fish pie or anything to boost brain cells.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ideas for fish pie or anything to boost brain cells.

Hi, with a husband who is allergic to fish, I was wondering if any one has a recipe to try and get me and my two children and possibly mindees to get more fish oils/omega three into us? Hopefully something that I could pass off as 'tuna' (which ds will eat). I am finding my joints are getting really stiff (especially my knees) and think I now need to try and eat more oily fish, with the added benefits that it provides for children in terms of 'improved' brain function and better concentration and possibly behaviour.

Any ideas would be appreciated, oh and I don't do supplements either.

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I fry a little onion then add milk and couple of cans of tuna to pan - cook through - put in a pie dish and top with mash potato and a little cheese either pop in oven or under grill to brown off top

told my own DD it was chicken until some bright spark told her it was tuna and then she said she didn't like it

3. Likes nipper liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

For my fish pie I use cod, smoked haddock and salmon (think only the salmon is an oily fish though), I poach them in little milk for few minutes - take out and put in pie dish, use the milk to make a cheese sauce, season with salt and pepper, parsley - cook some carrots & peas - gently mix together everything - add mashed potato on top.
    Sometimes I add cooked prawns and hard boiled eggs.

If you like fish and rest of family don't, you could have tinned sardines on toast when they have egg or cheese on toast.

My joints go through phases of being stiff and aching - I find swimming helps, stretching, sometimes take honegar which is honey & cider vinegar you buy it in Holland & Barratt - the explorer Raldolph Fiennes swears by it - pity it doesn't ward off frost bite though!

5. Likes nipper liked this post
    July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post

If you like fish and rest of family don't, you could have tinned sardines on toast when they have egg or cheese on toast.
    Already got some for lunch today. Thanks

[/QUOTE]My joints go through phases of being stiff and aching - I find swimming helps, stretching, sometimes take honegar which is honey & cider vinegar you buy it in Holland & Barratt - the explorer Raldolph Fiennes swears by it - pity it doesn't ward off frost bite though![/QUOTE]

Will have a look when I'm next out

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

and I love tinned mackrel on toast

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We have mackeral pate on toast

packet of smoked mackeral. Remove skin & any bones. Mash in bowl with fork. Add cream cheese (philly) & lemon juice.

My LO love it. Also good as a dip for bread sticks etc.

9. Likes nipper liked this post
    aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i love the pate recipie will try it tonight.

11. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    June 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by christine e View Post
    I fry a little onion then add milk and couple of cans of tuna to pan - cook through - put in a pie dish and top with mash potato and a little cheese either pop in oven or under grill to brown off top

told my own DD it was chicken until some bright spark told her it was tuna and then she said she didn't like it
    I'm loving the fact that you tell your children that meat they don't like is chicken we have always done it with our children - we told our daughter that beef was chocolate chicken and when asked by my daughter if the lamb on her plate was lamb lamb (I didn't have to ask what she meant - LOL) - I said Nooo its meat lamb. - I now tell all mindees that whats on their plate is what they say they only eat LOL - I do confess after once they have admitted to liking it LOL
    Celest

13. Likes loocyloo, christine e, nipper liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Heaven Scent View Post
    I'm loving the fact that you tell your children that meat they don't like is chicken we have always done it with our children - we told our daughter that beef was chocolate chicken and when asked by my daughter if the lamb on her plate was lamb lamb (I didn't have to ask what she meant - LOL) - I said Nooo its meat lamb. - I now tell all mindees that whats on their plate is what they say they only eat LOL - I do confess after once they have admitted to liking it LOL
    i don't eat venison as can't bring myself to eat deer ... plus i don't like the taste.

a few years back my mum had made a casserole and INSISTED i had some ... to keep the peace i did, but didn't like it much. however, again, to keep the peace i said it was nice, but i was full. at which point she grinned and said ' HA! you DO like venison, i knew you did, you've just eaten it & said it was nice ' !!! i said i hadn't really liked it, but was just being polite, ( plus i knew she would have had a strop if i'd said anything else!!!! yes, and she is a grown adult !!!! ) to this day, she still tells me '' YOU do like venison '' !!!! on a par with '' you do like fishfingers, you always used to eat them '' ... yes, because there was no alternative! if i could ever avoid them i would and still do !!! ( is there a YUCK smiley??!!! )

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have one that HATES potatoes yet loves spuds

16. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Try tuna pasta bake? The kids here love it because i break up crisps and sprinkle them over the top along with grated cheese once ready.