Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Newsletters...who does them??

Right then......who out there does monthly (or whatever) newsletters? And what do you put in them? I've read many times people saying they do them but I've never felt the need to myself. I'm wondering if i should be. I get on well with my 3 parents, they pay on time and pick up and drop off on time, I have no gripes with any of them (a miracle I know!). Anything to do with the children is in their diary or learning journal and shared with the parents. As is planning outlining what outings etc I plan to do. Any important information, for example, a change to my emergency contact was done via a normal letter.

I just feel a newsletter is overkill (and the parents are all very busy so probably wouldn't read it anyway!)

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

i do them....i include holiday dates that I have booked off, plans for the next quarter, welcome to anyone new, if its winter a reminder can everyone bring wellies etc ....that sort of stuff....

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I do one each Sunday with the upcoming weeks menu, reminders about school/pre school, my requests, holiday dates, any other information. Its done in email form and sometimes they are very short and sometimes they can be quite long.

Apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I do them too. Holiday dates, new starters and leavers, any vacancies, topics, requests for Tesco/Sainsburys vouchers, reminders about correct clothes and no shoes in the living room etc
    I have got 15 sets of parents, some of whom I hardly see and its a handy way to tell them all something at the same time.

Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Rick I've been minding for 22 years and only last year did I feel the need to do one, I did it in September just to tell parents that I would be
    leaving home 5 mins earlier than normal as had a younger one walking and that i was thinking of stopping the evening meal in favour of a snack,
    I then did another one for the winter regarding spare clothes as some never send any and permission slip for playing in snow and giving my
    holidays, I think I will send one for the spring term and summer one and keep to just 4 a year with updates to routines rather than what
    I have planned.

I have one gripe that needs addressing and will put in newsletter and that is about removing shoes if they wish to come in, I have a sign
    asking for shoes to be taken off which one parent doesn't think applies to her and It will go politely to all parents so not to single her out.
    Cath

aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh so glad I am not the only one. I did do it once but they just ignored what I said. Holiday dates go into the daily diary. That way they can't say they lost them. If I am due an inspection I might do one.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for those replies. I think if I did a newsletter, then holiday dates and new starters and leavers would be the only thing I would put in. In that case I can just write it in their diaries. As I say, I only have 3 parents and I get on with them all. Because all the children are here at least 2 days a week, they all get detailed diaries and learning journals so I have somewhere to jots things down. I only do one school run, once a week for a child who also comes two full days anyway, so everyone gets a diary. One of the parents regularly writes new routines in the diary as a response. If I had 15 parents I would definitely consider doing newsletters to save writing things 15 times!

jan 95
    Post Thanks / Like

I do about three a year. They always include my holiday dates, though I also do a short slip with bills to remind them of holiday dates coming up. I seem to have a particularily unorganised group of parents at the moment that need reminding of everything several times.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vals View Post
    I do about three a year. They always include my holiday dates, though I also do a short slip with bills to remind them of holiday dates coming up. I seem to have a particularily unorganised group of parents at the moment that need reminding of everything several times.
    I guess I could do infrequent ones. Three a year is manageable! Writing something important in the diary might get missed alongside usual stuff like number of poos

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

I have info slips rather than newsletters. A newsletter feels like it should be a4 size, too much space to fill!

june 83
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont do them but I put all my things that I want to tell parents in the daily diary that i send home every day and when we talk at pick up time.

Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I only do them occasionally, usually just before a holiday period. Generally do them when the need arises, about 3 a year. Ive used it to tell them about my qualification (doing level 3) Nice to keep in touch with parents, give any updates and reminders.. I know childminders who do and those who don't. It's a personal choice!

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

I do them quarterly! Things we've done things we're going to do, things that we plan to take part in, changes from Ofsted or locally, holiday dates, updates I have one, reminder of warm clothes sun cream etc reminding about traveling ted and m last section on the scrounge egg boxes, toilet roll middles etc etc

Feb 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nikkiv View Post
    I do them quarterly! Things we've done things we're going to do, things that we plan to take part in, changes from Ofsted or locally, holiday dates, updates I have one, reminder of warm clothes sun cream etc reminding about traveling ted and m last section on the scrounge egg boxes, toilet roll middles etc etc
    Sounds similar to what I do, also ideas for learning at home. I email them out to parents and print one for my file

Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    I do them quarterly mention things like collecting vouchrrs, holiday dates, what training I have done, gentle reminder about paying on time etc.
    Deb
    Children are born with wings we help them to fly.

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

I always get positive feedback from them most parents have mentioned them in my questionnaire saying how useful they are

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Like you Rick I have 2 families who I see everyday, and have lots of chats at pick ups. One is my neighbour another a good friend, so I have no need for a formal newsletter. For contact I use daily diaries and a private facebook page which only has the parents on. On facebook I put messages about holidays, things I'm looking for, my planning ideas for the next month or so, next step ideas attached to photographs of their child doing something etc. So for me a newsletter would just be duplication.

mar 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

i do one monthly and the parents love to read it, often grandparents get shown the newsletters as well. They all comment on it, and have said how much they enoy receiving them

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I do one too, usually termly telling parents what we have been up to, what we have planned gor the next term. Holiday dates and any other information that I want parents to know about. I also pictures of our display and the children.

S

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Little Puddings View Post
    I do one too, usually termly telling parents what we have been up to, what we have planned gor the next term. Holiday dates and any other information that I want parents to know about. I also pictures of our display and the children.

S
    same here, i also put any up coming birthdays and hellos to new children and bye to old children.

i put details of any training i am doing/goingto do.

and usually a reminder about wellies etc!

my parents all seem to like them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast