Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mum24 View Post
    I know head lice are a nuisance, but really I don't think it is that bad to cope with. Our school here has had a constant years long battle with headlice.
    I have started using Tea Tree shampoo for myself, but headlice don't seem to like me anyway, so I can't say if it really works or not. I wish I had known though that you could get a nitty gritty comb on prescription, I just bought one last week at at most £10.00!
    Has anyone else noticed that some children just seem more prone than others? One of my daughters had to be treated every week, but my other children seldom got them. No idea what the difference was.
    There are things that I find much worse, such as, impetago, and parents not being honest about when a child has been sick or ill at the weekend and still bringing them. Another thread I know, but much worse than a few lice.
    Out of curiosity - does anyone exclude a child with nits? I never have but I know two childminders who do.
    I will exclude if treatment is not started straight away. As long as parents treat then I won't. Only ever had 2 children with them but one got them time and time again. I also use tea tree shampoo and conditioner and touch wood it seems to work, neither myself nor my children have had them.

xxx

Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

The problem I have is this child attends me through ss and one if their areas of concern is neglect in relation to headlice. Child is clear for a week and then again lice. I do not exclude as long as treatment has started. If I exclude I do not get paid as ss will only pay for when attended. All I can do is keep mentioning it to parent. We all use tea tree in our house and have no issues it is only because other children use the car seat when this child is not here. And I had read that lice can survive in fabric and carpets etx for 48 hours. I did have neither parent raise concern that their child had lice over half term and is questioning if it was from another mindee.
    Children are born with wings we help them to fly.

aug 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mum24 View Post
    I know head lice are a nuisance, but really I don't think it is that bad to cope with. Our school here has had a constant years long battle with headlice.
    I have started using Tea Tree shampoo for myself, but headlice don't seem to like me anyway, so I can't say if it really works or not. I wish I had known though that you could get a nitty gritty comb on prescription, I just bought one last week at at most £10.00!
    Has anyone else noticed that some children just seem more prone than others? One of my daughters had to be treated every week, but my other children seldom got them. No idea what the difference was.
    There are things that I find much worse, such as, impetago, and parents not being honest about when a child has been sick or ill at the weekend and still bringing them. Another thread I know, but much worse than a few lice.
    Out of curiosity - does anyone exclude a child with nits? I never have but I know two childminders who do.
    I dont think some children are more prone than others to be honest , I think its entirely down to who they are in contact with in school

if one of your children has a best friend that always has it and it never gets treated , chances are thats the child that will always seem to get it

apr 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Hi one of my mums uses some thing called bay rum it`s a tonic you can spray on the hair and so far has never had head lice, it looks like the colour of tea she gets it from boots

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have done extensive research on these little buggers. They will fall and live on anything like pillows/cushions, carpets, couches and as you know car seats. They will live up to three days before they die and if they are still alive, in your case, they attach themselves to the next head that would sit in that car seat. Once you know there is an outbreak, inform all parents, hoover and wash everything you can at 60 degrees, and immediately empty hoover.

I am sure there is a special nit/head lice website - try google. I am gutted I have lost it in my favourites!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tazmin68 View Post
    Does anyone know if there is some form of repellant that I can spray onto a car seat. I have a child who I look after on behalf of ss due to neglect and frequently has headlice. I exclude then back and after about two weeks so are they. Another child caught headlice a couple of weeks ago not sure if from the child but parents are not amused. Because this child is part time plus others it means that other children use same car seat on other days. I thought that they don't live off the head but since found on Internet that they can stay alive on fabric.
    Any ideas?????

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

The latest thing on the market is a mouse that you apply and leave on for eight hours, then simply wash out... If you had permission, could you use this? Expensive, but cheaper than loosing a days pay? Then it gets washed out at the end of the day, or it can be left on overnight and washed out in the morning. Very easy to use.

aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

The worst head full of live was a boy whose brother I nannied for. We were on holiday in turkey and while swimming I looked at his head. It was crawling. I have seen bad heads but this was the worst ever. When I got to deal with it I spent ages watching tv as I not combed him. Oh yes he went to Eton!!! Even posh kids get them.

aug 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MessybutHappy View Post
    The latest thing on the market is a mouse that you apply and leave on for eight hours, then simply wash out... If you had permission, could you use this? Expensive, but cheaper than loosing a days pay? Then it gets washed out at the end of the day, or it can be left on overnight and washed out in the morning. Very easy to use.
    Oh jeez , sorry but this made me do a double take , I love typos

you do mean a mousse and not a mouse dont you , i had visions of you putting a small rodent in a childs hair for 8 hours chasing nits around

9. Likes jo.jo76, loocyloo, Paulab liked this post
    feb 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix2010 View Post

Oh jeez , sorry but this made me do a double take , I love typos

you do mean a mousse and not a mouse dont you , i had visions of you putting a small rodent in a childs hair for 8 hours chasing nits around
    Love it!!! Sounds like a much more fun way to deal with nits than spending hours combing

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

Ooops, yes, I did! Can you imagine! Thank you! Giggling....

Dec 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MessybutHappy View Post
    Agree. Could you get permission to treat the child yourself?

Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have child 3 days 9-1.30 and on 2 days we are at a group till 11.30, we then collect a nursery child and get home for lunch at 12 then we leave at 1 to take child home. I will ask mum if I can spray repellent to try and help the situation as long as mom keeps up with treating at her end.

sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

A hat maybe? Poor kid mist be itchy as.

Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well

I have now given up got parent to sign permission form to confirm that I can comb and treat her hair when she comes. Arrived Tuesday with live lice and I combed and got rid of walkers, arrived yesterday and combed again and got rid of live lice. About 1pm in afternoon I field as if there was something in my hair combed and found one in mine. Fortunately when she comes which is after school run in morning there is no other children with me and as I take her home at 1,30 she leaves before school pick up and is term time only. It is the only way that I am going to be able to make sure that she is sorted.

aug 05
    Post Thanks / Like

its horrible isnt it , I found one in my hair the first time my son had them , but I just combed with the nitty gritty comba nd conditioner every morning in the shower and never found anymore , if you catch them early its not too bad , it is a nightmare when they have had it a long time and have long hair , but I think you are right to tackle it yourself if they cant be bothered , the only thing is perhaps the parents have it now so unless they treat themselves your mindee will just keep getting it , you will have to do it every 3 days

Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I know it will be down to me to always treat only way to stop spreading here. Because child is on a cp order I am able to speak to the other professionals involved. Hv told me Wednesday that lice has been an issue for over 2 years and one of the older siblings was on antibiotics due to scalp infection due to lice. sw have a case conference tomorrow and the neglect issue is so bad there is talk about taking all 5 children into care I was also told this a few weeks ago so I never know where I am with this contract. She arrived on tuesday i was told she was grumpy when i changed her nappy rash was so severe blisters no wonder .At least I can be apply about how child has come on since placed with me. She was like a rag doll when ever I picked her up to go into car seat etc or when changed her. She used to remind me of the baby in the nspcc advert of the baby standing up in his cot who does not cry as no one comes. She could not walk properly as was always kept in buggy or high chair. She now says a few words, laughs and explore to play and climbs into car seats and onto chairs for activities

18. Likes lynncjt liked this post
    aug 05
    Post Thanks / Like

aww bless her , how awful

I know going into care is never a great option and a last resort but neglect is so damaging, poor little mite
    Sounds like you are doing a great job with her under difficult circumstances and it must be very rewarding , i hope that you get to continue caring for her whatever the outcome , its so important that they have some kind of stability
    must be so rewarding to see her developing
    please keep us updated x

aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

You are doing a wonderful job. That child had been given a chance of a real childhood thanks to you. It must be amazing to watch her change and find some happiness.

Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to keep reminding myself that what I am doing is worthwhile.

This week I got about 10 out of her hair on Monday, another 20 odd today. I have her again on Friday. I have written permission to treat her hair for lice from mom. She is just lucky that at the moment that as soon as I pick up child I do not have any others for 2 hours so I can spend the time combing through her hair. I am just so worried about losing other children should I miss anything and others leaving due to catching them. I could just go ahead and use a proper treatment but what's the point I would be paying out more fir treatment and as parent does not seen to be doing anything with the other 4 children at home it is just going to be repeating over and over again.

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

You have the patience of a saint! Does the child have long hair? If so could you suggest that it's either cut or tied back? First option might make your task slightly quicker? If I were one of your parents I might be a bit annoyed, but I'd also count myself lucky that I'd found such a dedicated minder!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast