Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I meet up regularly with 3 other very local childminders and we set up a group so we could all get together once a week. There are some other childminders in the area who we have invited but they haven't come along. I wonder whether they think we are a bit of a clique, which is a shame cos we're not! We give out each others numbers for vacancies etc. Works wonderfully as we are all full!

July 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I know what you mean - I was dreading going to a meeting and not knowing anyone but just before I went to first one I had my first aid course and met some of them there, it made it so much easier!

Mar12
    Post Thanks / Like

I joined our local childminding group from going on my first aid course too I was Pre reg at the time and they invited me along to there next meet up which was fab there all about 10 years older than me as well but things have been fine they were a great help and support through my registration process. Then I met a childminder on here who doesn't live that far from me and now we meet quit often either to take the kids to soft play or animal farm. When we first met it was as if we'd known each other years. we both registered at the same time, had inspection at the same time it's lovely to have someone to talk to about it all. You'll be surprised how welcoming people can be.

dec 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm in a small town where there's no childminding group but there's a couple of toddler groups which I go to every week. I'm at least 10 years younger than most childminders but most are very friendly and I get on well with most of them. I feel really isolated if I'm stuck in all week with just the little ones so it does us all good to get out to the groups.

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I know a few cm's-5 or 6 that I get on well with and see at toddler groups or the park for a chat or a moan but no 'best buddy' one so can still feel a bit isolated at times...we all pass on enquiries if we are full and are supportive of each other,sharing paperwork and activity ideas.

Mind you when I was first registering I had a local,very popular cm deliberately giving me false info about what I needed to do for my Ofsted inspection (telling me that I didn't need to do planning/obs/show progress in child's development amongst other things) she had the only outstanding grade in our area and all I can think is that she wanted to keep it that way!....Luckily I did what I thought I should do anyway and got Good with 5 elements Outstanding so ......she wasn't impressed.

I run a parent & toddler group and tbh half of the adults there are cm's but we certainly aren't cliquey....one's that are need to grow up!

Dec 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by migimoo View Post
    I know a few cm's-5 or 6 that I get on well with and see at toddler groups or the park for a chat or a moan but no 'best buddy' one so can still feel a bit isolated at times...we all pass on enquiries if we are full and are supportive of each other,sharing paperwork and activity ideas.

Mind you when I was first registering I had a local,very popular cm deliberately giving me false info about what I needed to do for my Ofsted inspection (telling me that I didn't need to do planning/obs/show progress in child's development amongst other things) she had the only outstanding grade in our area and all I can think is that she wanted to keep it that way!....Luckily I did what I thought I should do anyway and got Good with 5 elements Outstanding so ......she wasn't impressed.I run a parent & toddler group and tbh half of the adults there are cm's but we certainly aren't cliquey....one's that are need to grow up!
    I just dont get it, why are some people so horrible? What an awful thing to do.

Nov 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Migimoo, I hope it wasn't me

When a new childminder comes to me for advice, I spend a long time trying to counter all the excessive paperwork that the Local Authority claim we have to do when, actually, we don't at all.

I also warn them that they are in competition with the local childminders and, while most are friendly, they should never make the mistake that everyone is.
    I tell them that because I have seen some of the most bitchy, spiteful behaviour from one or two local minders who have made false reports to Ofsted and bullied other minders.

jan 85
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blue bear View Post
    Here, we have a vacancy co ordinator (childminder) who takes all our numbers and vacancies and matches parents up to possible childminders. Some childminders choose not to give their numbers.
    The co ordinator, shows no preference and gives out childminders numbers to parents and let parents choose what might suit them best.
    When I first started minding all the childminders used to meet at some point along the week at toddlers etc but of recent years many new minders don't really mix
    When I moved here from another county, there were 19 childminders within the "circle" of 5 villages, I became the local co-ordinator and ALWAYS made sure I was fair and handed out the numbers of anyone with vacancies so the parent had a good choice.

Then Ofsted took over from Social Services.

Now there's just me.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm recently registered too and started minding in Jan. There is a group of childminders that go to the local groups I go to and used to go to before I was minding with my son. Now I'm minding though I feel I get the 'eye' from them as soon as I walk in and that I'm being judges by them.
    But you what, they can carry on - at the end of the day they may do things different to me but I have 2 sets of kids already and the 2 sets of parents are very happy with what I'm doing and say so....I don't know whether it's just small minded people thinking there's not enough 'work' to go around??? At the end of the day it's not a competition and really we should help each other. I would love to speak to an experienced childminder and meet with them to share ideas etc but the ones at my playgroups certainly don't seem to want to talk to me.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12