Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  13
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Reg Jan
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Disposing of nappy bags..

On a busy day I dispose of nappy bag by chucking it out of the back door rather than going out & placing it in wheely bin!! This is so I do not leave the little ones alone. I change nappy, wipe hands with baby wipe & then use anti-bac gel rather than wash hands too so that Ido not have to leave them. My question is, is this OK? or would you do it differently? Is it ok (by Ofsted) that nappy bags are outside back door rather than in bin, and that I dont actually wash hands. I do then place them in the bin at an appropriate time..i.e when they are napping or all up at the table for snack etc

Would appreciate your thoughts & how you do it.....

Post Thanks / Like

To be honest I'm not really sure but I've moved my bin to my back door so that I can just pop out and put in the bin x

3. Likes lucyD liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My bin is right next to the back door too.

I wash my los hands like you do - to me its easier than getting them to a sink.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I pop mine outside my door too as my wheelie bins are at the end of my garden. Then I just put them in the main bin when LO's are asleep or we are on our way out.

6. Likes lucyD liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a small pedal bin in my downstairs loo specially for putting nappies in - I have never had a problem with older children who use toilet independently playing with the bin. Could you get a small bin to put just outside back door, so you can pick them up and dispose of easily and to make it easier to tidy up garden if children play outside?

8. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Feb 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a small pedal bin just outside of my back door. I have the tiniest yard so it never gets used apart from if there was an emergency evacuation and the front door was blocked. When all of the children have gone I then empty it into the wheely bin. As for hand washing I use a seperate flanel each and anti bac gel for the little ones and the older children use soap and water in the bathroom.

Sept 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I open my back door and throw them at the wheelie bin, I'm a very good shot! Then later I go out and pop them in the actual bin.

No children ever go out in this area so I don't see it as a problem.

Jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i throw mine through the cat flap....

then pick them up at the end of the day

wibble x

(cats are too old now to use the flap very often - we have to push it open or open the door for them to go out)
    The bats have left the bell tower.....

12. Likes muffins, Mice and Toad, marie55 liked this post
    Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a small bin outside my back door which i use then i transfer them to the wheelie bin at the end of the day.

I do know a childminder who actually sends dirty nappies home with the mindees for the parents to dispose of so her bin doesnt get smelly!!!!

I dont think the parents would be too happy if i handed them a bag of poop to take home!
    If all else fails......add glitter!

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Be careful, I think someone on here does that...

15. Likes silvermist liked this post
    Reg Jan
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for replies. Glad it seems like others do similar, I would not want a bin in the loo as to honest they do smell but I may get a little bin for outside the door. I guess as long as you explain what you do & why I dont see why it would be an issue...thanks

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nipper View Post
    Be careful, I think someone on here does that...
    Each to their own. We all do things which work best for us.

I was just saying my los parents wouldnt be very happy with it.
    If all else fails......add glitter!

Dec 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a bucket outside just under the window, next to where I change the nappies. Just empty it at the end of the day or whenever we go out to play in the garden.

Decembe
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

After changing a nappy I would imaginrne that for hygeine reasons we should wash our hands with soap and water. I dont think a wet wipe and anti bac would be as effective, but correct me if I am wrong

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chriss View Post
    After changing a nappy I would imaginrne that for hygeine reasons we should wash our hands with soap and water. I dont think a wet wipe and anti bac would be as effective, but correct me if I am wrong
    I always use gloves to do a nappy change so I use gel afterwards but only to get rid of the smell of the gloves on my hands which I hate. I don't wash my hands as I can't see the point.

xxx

Decembe
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Are we not supposed to wear gloves ? Surely they do in nursery so why is it differetn if a child is in your home ? In nursing homes/hospitals they wear gloves when coming into contact with body fluids so I would think its best practice to do the same. Does anyone know the rules on this please ?

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chriss View Post
    Are we not supposed to wear gloves ? Surely they do in nursery so why is it differetn if a child is in your home ? In nursing homes/hospitals they wear gloves when coming into contact with body fluids so I would think its best practice to do the same. Does anyone know the rules on this please ?
    There is no rule, it is personal choice. I do not wear then, don't like them, find them too clinical for a home situation and hate the waste (I try to be as eco-friendly as I can). But if you want to that is fine. I wash my hands in the cloakroom next to where I change nappies.

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Since starting childminding I have started using gloves for dirty nappies (only one hand). I also wipe down changing mat with anti-bac, take out nappy bag and then wash hands using soap and water. I used to have a colleague (teacher) who was seriously obsessed by anti-bac gel, so much so she used to wear a little bottle clipped to her waistband. Never used to wash her hands after using the toilet, just used that. Gulp!

June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought a lidded bucket that I leave outside my back door then at the end of the day bag up and put in wheelie bin.

As for hand washing, I use gloves then just used the gel stuff. Had ofsted two weeks ago and she never commented, gave me good in all areas :-)

25. Likes lucyD liked this post
    Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Apologies for barging onto the thread but I'm waiting for first mindee to come along and had been planning to keep a small pedal bin for nappies in the downstairs loo, and then empty into the wheelie bin (at the end of the path near the kersbide) whenever we were going out to groups/ school run.

Is keeping a nappy bin inside frowned upon by Ofsted/ environmental health, or is it just too stinky?!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast