Do you need a lockable file for contracts?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you need a lockable file for contracts?

I have heard some childminders have a lockable box file for storing contracts and enrollment forms. Do you need this or can you just get one of those cardboard box files and seperate each one with a divider?

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I lock mine up in the tool box (drawer type thing) that way no one has access to the personal files (data protection)

Mar 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine are locked within the house!
    The box and lock provided by NCMA as part of the starter pack (7yrs ago) was next to useless!

Reg Jan
    Post Thanks / Like

My friend was told by some one from Ofsted that YES you do & it needs to be with a key. I had mine in a cupboard with magna locks on so that would not have been good enough. I have bought a metal a4 box from tesco to out all confidential paperwork incl LG etc & it was only £6! I would rather be safe than sorry where Ofsted are concerned

Sept 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Another inconsistency with Ofsted Inspectors, mine are not locked away although I can see they should be so will get a lockable box I think.

I was inspected in October 11, she was very scary went through every bit of paperwork and was here for hours but said nothing at all about them not being locked away

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy De View Post
    Another inconsistency with Ofsted Inspectors, mine are not locked away although I can see they should be so will get a lockable box I think.

I was inspected in October 11, she was very scary went through every bit of paperwork and was here for hours but said nothing at all about them not being locked away
    i do have a lockable file box, but i have never put anything away in it and have never been asked by anyone.

Jul 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My paperwork is not locked away. My Ofsted inspector said that as long as the paperwork is out of sight and visitors to your home don't know where it is or have easy access then that is fine. I don't really see the point of one of those small flimsy lockable boxes/files as anybody could pick up the whole thing and carry it off so it really isn't very secure.

Jul 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

At our recent ofsted inspection Mrs O didnt even ask where we kept ours. Shows how different Ofsted work across the country

Feb 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone think I will get one then as you never know what inspector your going to get so might aswell to avoid any tellings off.ha ha. I dont think Ofsted communicate within themselves at all which I find very annoying as their so judgemental about you and your setting yet cant communicate within themselves to make sure everyone follows the same thing. Especially with children involved you think they would be more professional.

10. Likes lucyD liked this post
    Reg Jan
    Post Thanks / Like

I know that someone could just steal the whole case but from what my friend said Mrs O was hinting that you should protect the papaerwork from prying eyes in your home..i.e they were worried about husbands, boyfriends etc...Now I know we all trust our husbands etc but they obviously are aware that there a lot of nasty people about. Guess by keeping it locked away you are doing all you can & they have nothing to moan about. Also when they come ask them? They are there to help (apparantly) so I plan to ask about some of these inconsistancies (or will that get me in trouble LOL!)

Feb 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

It probs wont get you in trouble if you put it as if your actually confused. About this case for example you could just say a lot of people have been told by Ofsted that you need them and others have been told that you dont so you were just wondering why this is and then maybe give some examples of other similar things. I had my registration visit 2 weeks ago and was told that I should expect my official inspection around May so I will be mentioning that when setting up and getting all my things together I found it hard as so many people were being told so many different things by Ofsted.