Can I have some opinions please??
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Can I have some opinions please??

This isn't childminding related but is child related.

I have just picked my dd (she is 9 next week) up from her friends where she went after school today. Her friends mum (who I get on with very well) told me that my dd have been thrown up over at school. Not badly but enough for there to be splashes of vomit in her hair and on her cardigan. The school told her to take off her cardigan and put it in her bag (without putting it in a plastic bag or anything) and cleaned her up with a paper towel. She got thrown straight in the shower at her friends house and given clothes to put on. I am furious that they did not phone me to come and get her to bring her home and clean her up.
    Am I overreacting? I keep thinking about the hygiene risk of that being in the classroom all day! Everything else that it touched was disinfected but not my dd! I was 2 minutes away at toddlers and could have left picked her up and had her back at school showered and in clean clothes within half an hr, my dh was home too.
    Her teacher didn't even come out to say anything at the end of the day.
    Part of me says I must be overreacting but I am furious, my dh agrees that they should have at least checked if it was possible for her to come home.

Bless her she wasn't too upset by it and it was her other very good friend who threw up, she asked me when we got in if I could find out if K was feeling ok now. Have texted her mum but not heard back yet.

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fionamadcat View Post
    This isn't childminding related but is child related.

I have just picked my dd (she is 9 next week) up from her friends where she went after school today. Her friends mum (who I get on with very well) told me that my dd have been thrown up over at school. Not badly but enough for there to be splashes of vomit in her hair and on her cardigan. The school told her to take off her cardigan and put it in her bag (without putting it in a plastic bag or anything) and cleaned her up with a paper towel. She got thrown straight in the shower at her friends house and given clothes to put on. I am furious that they did not phone me to come and get her to bring her home and clean her up.
    Am I overreacting? I keep thinking about the hygiene risk of that being in the classroom all day! Everything else that it touched was disinfected but not my dd! I was 2 minutes away at toddlers and could have left picked her up and had her back at school showered and in clean clothes within half an hr, my dh was home too.
    Her teacher didn't even come out to say anything at the end of the day.
    Part of me says I must be overreacting but I am furious, my dh agrees that they should have at least checked if it was possible for her to come home.

Bless her she wasn't too upset by it and it was her other very good friend who threw up, she asked me when we got in if I could find out if K was feeling ok now. Have texted her mum but not heard back yet.
    Yuck! Hope she doesn't become ill :-(

I would be cross and I would talk to her teacher about what you feel should have been done. I would also write to the head, not in a stroppy way but just outlining the error of their ways.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I would be cross. I guess they have never had this happen before and therefore don't have a procedure to follow. Common sense should tell them though that they should have put the cardigan in a plastic bag at least. They should have phoned you to see if it was possible to collect her to take her home for a quick shower. It was a big oversight on the teacher's part to not even mention it to you after school. I would speak to the Head - she may not have been aware of what happened but like us, they have a duty to minimise the spread of infection. Poor DD, I hope she doesn't get ill. Let us know how you get on. x

aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would be cross too! I would definately be having words with the school, not only over the hygiene fact but that your child had to stay like it in front of her class mates all day. Not on in my opinion

Apr 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, yuck!

I would be cross with school for not at least checking you could collect her and take her home for a shower.

Also how horrible for your poor DD to have vomit on her all day

july 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would absolutely be concerned about this.
    If this is happening all the time, and they do nothing about it, then the bug is just going to go round and round. They should at least have informed you and given you the opportunity to come. I think this is a serious hygiene issue, and needs looking into. They have a duty of care, just as we do, and I really don't think allowing a child to sit most of the day stained with vomit is any kind of care or consideration, both for the child and those around her. I would take the matter up with the head teacher and ask what they would do in future.
    If the teacher or head had been vomited on, and had sticky hair and clothes, would they just continue working all day? I think not, and neither should any child.
    Poor girl. I hope she keeps well and doesn't catch this horrible bug. Poor lo who was sick too, how embarrassing.

May 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys,
    Definately going to speak to the school on monday, why do these things always happen on a friday? If she had come and told me at pick up time I would have gone in straight away but I think she had kind of forgotten and was pretty excited about going to her friends house, never mind. Am really hoping that she doesn't come down with anything but can't do anything about it now other than keep my fingers crossed. Will keep you all posted.

8. Likes Maza, RuthJ liked this post
    May 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Went in this morning and the head was available, she's new and only been at the school 2 weeks! Anyway she had no idea that it had happened and was very apologetic and is going to speak with 'all adults involved'. She agrees that E should have been sent home to get cleaned up and could then have gone back to school.
    Thanks for all your opinions, I just wasn't sure if I was over reacting or not and knew that I would get honest answers from fellow childminders!

Oh and she hasn't come down with anything either so think we have been lucky

Mar 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Went in this morning and the head was available, she's new and only been at the school 2 weeks! Anyway she had no idea that it had happened and was very apologetic and is going to speak with 'all adults involved'. She agrees that E should have been sent home to get cleaned up and could then have gone back to school.
    Thanks for all your opinions, I just wasn't sure if I was over reacting or not and knew that I would get honest answers from fellow childminders!

Great that the head listened & is taking appropriate action.
    Pleased that dd has not come down with bug - hope her friend is better now too.

Apr 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad your daughter's not got ill, and good to hear that the head has taken it seriously.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad your daughter isn't ill. Must be a relief to know that you have a Headteacher with common sense, compassion and a sense of duty! Well done you! x