Did you doubt yourself?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Did you doubt yourself?

Did you doubt yourself before you started as a CM? I don't have a huge amount of experience (just the usual babysitting, did my placement/work experience at a primary school etc) and after reading topics about the paperwork I am seriously starting to doubt myself. Not just whether I can do the paperwork side but also my own ability to do the job Working with kids is something I've always wanted to do but I'm worried I won't have a clue what I'm doing

Is it normal to feel like this before registering?

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I felt exactly the same last week, I even emailed my tutor, she told me to calm myself down and not to panic and take one step at a time and not to rush things and it will be ok. I do feel better now, but I suppose I will start to worry when i have finished the course and start advertising and waiting for my first child.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I used to be a civil engineer working behind a desk so this career is quite different! Our course was very well run and I felt like they gave us all the information we needed. There was a lot of paperwork to do and it felt like I would never get the certificate in my hand but I got through it and have started minding. There is a fair amount of paperwork to do but I find the job very rewarding, especially when parents look at the effort I have put into learning journeys etc.

The more experienced you get the more you WILL know what you are doing! Also there is no right or wrong way of doing this job. Everyone does planning, learning journeys, paperwork etc differently, you just have to find the way that suits you.

July 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I was in IT before this!

I think with me it helped that I found this forum quite a while before I actually started the registration process so had learnt so much from everyone here before I even started! Still found it quite daunting though!

5. Likes Rick liked this post
    Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You have to know that deep down you live and care for kids. Bring a parent really helps.
    'It's never too late to have a happy childhood' ( Tom Robinson)

Jun 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually put off registering almost 2 years because I was so paranoid that at 26 no one would trust me with their child as I was too young! Even though I have 2 children of my own!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Did I doubt myself?

Get your tenses right - I still do.!

Probably not a bad thing. The most dangerous people are the ones who know it all and have nothing left to learn.

e.g. "She's unsinkable - cancel the order for lifeboats for the Titanic."

9. Likes silvermist, Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Sept 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been childminding for 19 years and occasionally still doubt myself, I think thats only human nature.

Every child is different, not many go "by the book" but with your own experience as a mother and with support of family, friends and places like this forum you will be fine.

If you have questions or worries just ask on this forum, no matter how minor or silly you think they are. Someone will know the answer and give you the advice or support you need. We are all very friendly.

I agree with Rick Knight there is no right or wrong way to do this job and with the paperwork you just need to find a way that suits you.

Sounds like you are going into childminding for all the right reasons so very good luck I'm sure you will be fine.

11. Likes sprinkles liked this post
    Apr 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes!

But it's amazing how much you learn in this job which has made it so enjoyable for me.

Good luck

13. Likes sprinkles liked this post
    Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies and reassurance everyone.

I think I was just worrying about it all! I know the main things that worry me are inspections and paperwork but I suppose that is the same for most people.

I also worry I won't get any work, I don't have children of my own so don't have a lot of experience and I am only 23 years old.

I really should have done childcare at college but I went down the admin route and am now an admin assistant. I'm now realising that I should have followed my dreams which is why I decided to become a CM. I'm hoping to be able to do my HNC part time once I am up and running.

15. Likes Daisy De liked this post
    aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Most of us doubt ourselves lots. 1 mum said I was so confident and couldn't believe I wasn't. I told her that I had got so used to meeting and interviewing new people that I had got more confident. I told her I had faked it at first but in time if became normal. When I am behind on my paperwork like now I can't ever think why I am a cm. it is the same in most jobs where you have to take charge. If I just get on with it and start the work it seems less daunting. Good luck

Apr 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Thanks for the replies and reassurance everyone.

I think I was just worrying about it all! I know the main things that worry me are inspections and paperwork but I suppose that is the same for most people.

I also worry I won't get any work, I don't have children of my own so don't have a lot of experience and I am only 23 years old.

I really should have done childcare at college but I went down the admin route and am now an admin assistant. I'm now realising that I should have followed my dreams which is why I decided to become a CM. I'm hoping to be able to do my HNC part time once I am up and running.
    Admin experience will stand you in good stead for all the paperwork involved! You'll be fine

18. Likes sprinkles liked this post
    Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Like Bunyip said...I still doubt myself occasionally too. I think as long as you like kids you're more than half way there. Youll be fine hun, just ask any questions you have on here, this is the best place for advice xxx
    If all else fails......add glitter!

20. Likes Kiddleywinks, sprinkles liked this post
    Aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Sprinkles you sound just like me.. After doing work experience with children I ended up in a low paid and boring admin job. It took me until I was 29 to register and I can't think why I didn't do it before. 3 years on I love my job, put up with the paperwork and earn much more money too. You will be fine

feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

after childminding for 9 years I still doubt myself lol