Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Getting a puppy and childminding

Hi

We have finally decided to get a Labrador puppy after 5 years of considering it. I have been childminding for 5 years and have had our cat and rabbit as pets. Sadly our rabbit passed away just before Christmas.

Both my husband and I grew up with a Labrador dog so have decided on this breed and the fact that they are a good family dog to have. We have put our name on a waiting list after looking at a number of breeders and their testomonials.

My question is how do I let parents know that we are in the near future going to have a puppy joining our family. Shall I send out an email? Or just verbally tell them.

We are all so excited and have done lots of reading up on Labs, and we are fully prepared that having a pup will be like having a baby. I'm hoping that my parents will be okay with it. My children have waited and waited and we now feel this is the right time.

Sam x

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Don't let my wife read this! She keeps going on about having a puppy. Our rabbit also passed away just before Christmas. Is this an omen?! My aunt has had her puppy for a year now and does take a lot of time and effort. The puppy would keep jumping up at my son and knocking him over, hence he doesn't like him at all! Hopefully your breed is quickly trainable.

Sorry quite negative but that's just my experience!

Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I totally understand where your coming from. But I would make sure that children only have supervised access to the puppy and he/she would be kept at the back of our kitchen(stairgated) away from the children.I will also be making sure that there is a separate part in the garden for the pup and I wouldn't allow the pup to have the run of the house.

Thank you for your views.

Sam

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by samd35 View Post
    I totally understand where your coming from. But I would make sure that children only have supervised access to the puppy and he/she would be kept at the back of our kitchen(stairgated) away from the children.I will also be making sure that there is a separate part in the garden for the pup and I wouldn't allow the pup to have the run of the house.

Thank you for your views.

Sam
    Puppies are wonderfully rewarding but I know my aunt has to spend a large proportion of the day tending to the dog, feeding, walking, training, cleaning up poop etc. Do you have the time in your busy day to do both? It is like having a newborn.

Sorry still negative!

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

First time we got a puppy it never occured to me to ask my mindees parents - second time I did but my parents are used to the new additions

We have labadour crosses and they are wonderful family pets HOWEVER they are loopy and will eat anything and I mean anything.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

6. Likes Dragonfly liked this post
    Mar2008
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi there we have two cocker spaniels age 2 & 3 and I've been minding 5 years. When we first decided to get a puppy I told all parents and asked if they were ok about it (obviously hoping they would be as we probably wouldn't have changed our minds!) everyone was happy thankfully and the kids love them and enjoy walking them on our local park, throwing the ball for them etc. during the day they stay in the kitchen and my other half walks them in the morning. Some of the babies I mind have said one of the dogs names as one of their first words!!! It's Bo so quite an easy name to say!! I ll be honest that when they were both tiny pups it was hard work toilet training etc but it was well worth it for the unconditional love we get back. Dogs are ace and if you grew up with labs you'll know what to expect, so best of luck finding one and enjoy!!

Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm still in the registration process but I have a 13 week old puppy, as well as two Labradors. The way I see it is I have a right to a life outside of childminding and my dogs will have the run of the house when I am minding. If parents don't like it then they can take children elsewhere.

I'm not going to put my life on hold for work.

9. Likes Marshmallow, Ripeberry liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    I'm still in the registration process but I have a 13 week old puppy, as well as two Labradors. The way I see it is I have a right to a life outside of childminding and my dogs will have the run of the house when I am minding. If parents don't like it then they can take children elsewhere.

Yes we have a life outside of minding but that doesn't mean you shouldn't consider the effect a dog might have on your work. Can you be 100% sure the children are safe with the dog when you are out of the room?

Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm prepared for all the hard work, walks, etc. We love being outdoors , at the beach, woods , our local common so he/she will be walked lots.

We have chosen a breeder , and they have a long waiting list , so it won't be until at the earliest August, plenty of time to get prepared and for parents to get used to the idea.

Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by samd35 View Post
    I'm prepared for all the hard work, walks, etc. We love being outdoors , at the beach, woods , our local common so he/she will be walked lots.

We have chosen a breeder , and they have a long waiting list , so it won't be until at the earliest August, plenty of time to get prepared and for parents to get used to the idea.
    Glad you've chosen a breeder, having a waiting list is a good thing make sure they do all the relevant health tests though

Mar2008
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

There's no doubt you're entitled to a life outside of childminding Sprinkles, BUT I wouldn't have thought many parents will be at ease knowing your dogs are always around the children. Even the most friendly dogs could snap if a toddler were to poke them in the eye or similar. I know it's your home, but if you make the decision to work at home sacrifices have to be made.

14. Likes Rick liked this post
    Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ambersmum View Post
    There's no doubt you're entitled to a life outside of childminding Sprinkles, BUT I wouldn't have thought many parents will be at ease knowing your dogs are always around the children. Even the most friendly dogs could snap if a toddler were to poke them in the eye or similar. I know it's your home, but if you make the decision to work at home sacrifices have to be made.
    They will never be left unattended and I will be using safety gates to separate them when needed. In my opinion, my dogs have just as much right, if not more, to be able to roam the house as the children would. They have a specific pet room where they are kept when we are out and this will be their safe haven when I am minding.

I posted a topic about this on a different forum as I was planning on keeping the dogs in their room all day when children were here but didn't think it was fair and the majority of people who replied said their dogs have free roam of their house when they are minding.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

They will never be left unattended and I will be using safety gates to separate them when needed. In my opinion, my dogs have just as much right, if not more, to be able to roam the house as the children would. They have a specific pet room where they are kept when we are out and this will be their safe haven when I am minding.

I posted a topic about this on a different forum as I was planning on keeping the dogs in their room all day when children were here but didn't think it was fair and the majority of people who replied said their dogs have free roam of their house when they are minding.
    Mine dont have free roam of the house even when Im not minding Gosh the pup would have a field day if I didnt keep her restricted.

I allow them in now and again when Im minding as my lo loves them - no dog at home and still dog was his first word

I keep them restricted to the kitchen in the day (but they can and do clear the safety gate if they so wish) becuase of the mindees eating, drinking, and leaving toys about. Also I would constantly be washing los hands if he could get to them all the time
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

July 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a 2 year old Cocker, who is kept in the back kitchen, she has access to outside when she wants it and her crate.

The children love her but see she her when they request it, she is still much too bouncy to be allowed free access to them! She needs to be able to retreat from the children as much as they need have play time away from here. Smallest mindee is 2.5 is a little dot, he loves her when she is quite but would be scared of her when she's bouncy! They love telling her to sit/down/stay etc and giving her treats.

Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    Mine dont have free roam of the house even when Im not minding Gosh the pup would have a field day if I didnt keep her restricted.

I allow them in now and again when Im minding as my lo loves them - no dog at home and still dog was his first word

I keep them restricted to the kitchen in the day (but they can and do clear the safety gate if they so wish) becuase of the mindees eating, drinking, and leaving toys about. Also I would constantly be washing los hands if he could get to them all the time
    Oh, mine don't have complete free roam - just the living room and their own room and are in their own room when I'm out. They're not allowed in the kitchen.

As I have stated in my pets policy, children will decide how little or how much contact they have with them and I will completely respect their decisions. It's not like they have nowhere else to go when I am minding. It just means the pup will be crated when they are elsewhere because, yes they are like children and need supervised at all times! I just meant I probably wouldn't be willing to take on children if the parents expect me to keep my dogs locked away all day.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't mean to be rude, and I appreciate members have taken the time to contribute some interesting views, but I don't think we've addressed the OP's original question:

My question is how do I let parents know that we are in the near future going to have a puppy joining our family. Shall I send out an email? Or just verbally tell them.
    Samd35, can I ask how you'd normally communicate any other matter with parents? Given your experience and grading, you must already have a good rapport with parents, good lines of communication, and know the best way to get a message across to each family. You've obviously thought this through and are not rushing into it, so I can't see the problem with telling parents through your usual channels. Do you have some particular concern or anxiety about how to tell this one?

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    I don't mean to be rude, and I appreciate members have taken the time to contribute some interesting views, but I don't think we've addressed the OP's original question:

Samd35, can I ask how you'd normally communicate any other matter with parents? Given your experience and grading, you must already have a good rapport with parents, good lines of communication, and know the best way to get a message across to each family. You've obviously thought this through and are not rushing into it, so I can't see the problem with telling parents through your usual channels. Do you have some particular concern or anxiety about how to tell this one?
    How did I tell my parents?

First time - I was on mat leave so I called mum excitly and said something like WE HAVE HAD A PUPPY!!!! Her response we will be there in 15 mins to see

Second time I told her we were thinking of getting one and we kept it a sceret from mindee. Other mindees dad I told at the door.

I tell my parents everything verbally unless they are at work and a text is needed

Sept 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you will already know what reaction the statement "I'm going to get a puppy" will produce amongst your current parents.

When I got my first puppy 4 years ago I knew how most parents would react before I mentioned it there was only one I wasn't sure about but luckily she was also fine about it. The second puppy, 2 years later was accepted without problems, but then I obviously had parents who accepted dogs and who realised I was a responsible dog owner.

I think the news should always come verbally, its a big change in a household and you must respect your parents views and understand there may be some that feel they need to find alternative childcare, but you will already know who they are. If this is the case and you still want the puppy (puppyhood, although wonderful is a long, hard slog) that is perfectly acceptable it is your life and your decision, you have to also accept their decision.

I have said a few times on this forum there are parents who won't come near you if you have dogs and others who come to you because you have them. Its personal choice, I don't find mine are a problem but I did work very hard when they were puppies to make them well behaved, trained adult dogs.

By the way, mine are with the children all the time apart from mealtimes or when we are doing something that they would get in the way off. I teach all the children to respect the dogs, I never allow the children to sit on them, pull them about, kiss them or even cuddle them too closely and they all know to wash their hands after touching them. I also discourage the dogs from licking and they were taught as puppies that jumping up is not acceptable.

Bottom line is it is perfectly possible to childmind with dogs but it also carries huge responsibility, effort and realisation that some people will be put off your setting whilst others are drawn to you.

Good luck

22. Likes bunyip liked this post
    Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

It was a bit different for as we had a dog and she died. I did let her have run of the house and when we had the new pup she is now three I did introduce a pet handling policy. When I had had any under 8s she was restricted to kitchen and hallway through using a stair gate. As I have artificial turf in the garden it is very easy to clean up after her as I can disinfect . I did used to let her in he house when I had older children but I had an incident with an older child who kept trying to get her to go on her back legs I kept saying no don't teach her that and she did it and caught his ear with her claws and tore. I was devastated, mum reported me to ofsted. I even had a letter from another parent of an older child who confirmed that he boys had been trying to get her to go on back legs. The result was that ofsted asked me action that I minimise contact for children with dog and they were impressed that I had my pet handing policy. The child also left my setting and more annoying was that social services visited about the safety of my own two children. When anything happens to sugar I am not sure if I would have another dog as I I feel guilty when she is lying next to the stair gate as she only want to come in. As the complaint stays on my inspection report/ ofsted for 5 years who is to say that she will still be around win it should e removed.
    Children are born with wings we help them to fly.

Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I verbally speak to my parents about everything, do daily diaries for the young ones, although we still discuss their day when they arrive to collect and do termly newsletters.I have a great rapport with all my parents, grandparents, carers.
    I do have one concern with a family , as their twin girls are not too sure about animals. As this will be our first dog, I wondered if I should put an email stating exactly how I will safeguard their child and wanted to re-assure them.
    I've deceided to mention it verbally to them and explain how I will do the above and also the positives of having a dog.

Thank you for all your views.

Sam

25. Likes Daisy De liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast