Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Noro question

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Noro question

As so many of my family and mindees have had it recently (six to date) the surviving families are very keen to avoid it naturally. I'm pretty sure we got it thru a sibling carrying it in (his brother was sick who doesn't come to me but the mindee wasn't)
    My question is: if I hear someone in their family has got it, should I not accept the siblings? It is remarkably contagious- to date 1.1 million in the uk!
    'It's never too late to have a happy childhood' ( Tom Robinson)

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The only official advice I can point you to is the information that was written when the flu pandemic was expected a few years ago. That advice said 'no' you cannot refuse to care for a child until they are showing symptoms - but to take all possible steps to ensure infection control guidelines were followed and to make sure parents keep ill children at home / collect promptly etc.

However, you are the person who ultimately has to write the policy and make the decision about what you want to do next. Having been so ill yourself and your family having suffered I would say it's unlikely you want to risk it - especially if you know someone close to the child has got the illness.

At the same time they can get it from school, toddler group, visiting friends at the weekend... it's everywhere and it comes on suddenly which makes it very hard to avoid.

Hugs xx

Feb 91
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

While Norovirus is prevalent you can extend the exclusion period if you want to, it really is up to you - as you make the rules Excluding a family because one member has it??- umm well you could ask your families if they would quarantine themselves.....ie keep children away, but it would be difficult to turn a healthy child away if the parents wanted to send them.
    hth
    http://www.hpa.org.uk/webc/HPAwebFil.../1227851390634
    keeping my head down

Mar 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    The only official advice I can point you to is the information that was written when the flu pandemic was expected a few years ago. That advice said 'no' you cannot refuse to care for a child until they are showing symptoms - but to take all possible steps to ensure infection control guidelines were followed and to make sure parents keep ill children at home / collect promptly etc.

However, you are the person who ultimately has to write the policy and make the decision about what you want to do next. Having been so ill yourself and your family having suffered I would say it's unlikely you want to risk it - especially if you know someone close to the child has got the illness.

At the same time they can get it from school, toddler group, visiting friends at the weekend... it's everywhere and it comes on suddenly which makes it very hard to avoid.

Hugs xx
    Thank you Sarah, this was my thought but I had no document to back it up.