Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Worms

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Worms

Hi, hope you've all had a good Christmas

I've just had a text off a parent informing me her 18 month old has worms she has not been here for a week as they went away for Christmas . The child has has runny nappies on and off from day one , I have been minding her for almost a year now. Do you think it is possible she has had them all this time ? Has anyone has any experience of worms ? ( sorry , don't want to put you all off your turkey sandwiches !)

Registered Childminder since
    sept 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

One of my lot had them. I sent the other parents this email:

Hi all,

I have been informed that one of the children attending the setting is being treated for threadworm. As a precaution I have tightened up all hygiene and will be supervising all after toilet hand washing and all children will be using their own flannel which will be washed after each use. The towels have all been hot washed and paper towels will be used for the next 2 weeks. All children will be supervised in cleaning hands before meals and after activities. Cushion covers will be cleaned and bedding washed. I have thrown out all play dough and sterilised the toy food and baby toys. Other toys may be limited for a while whilst they go through the same process.

Things to look out for in your own child: small white worms in or around the anus or in stools. Itching (especially at night time) around the anus, tummy ache and discomfort. These worms are passed on through touch and eggs which may have fallen during scratching onto communal areas (cushions, buggy etc )

The treatment is tablet based and immediately effective but the eggs can continue to live in the host for 2 weeks hence the overt hygiene precautions.

I will be treating myself and my family as a precaution - there is no harm in doing so if you are concerned. An over the counter treatment is available.

There is no exclusion once treatment is started and with good hygiene methods the infection can be prevented from reoccurring. I will be reviewing my hygiene and cleaning policy and will send it home early next week.

If you have any concerns at all please do not hesitate to contact me,

I gave my family a tablet each - chew or swallow and that's it, done!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you ,after inspection :/ it seems my son and myself have them too hubby and teenagers wouldn't let me do a gillian mckeith on them !
    I let all the parents know, I really hope they check there children and clear it up if they have them. I have treated all my family and cancelled my shopping plans and spent the day cleaning and washing and Hoovering EVERYTHING in sight !
    I love my job I do

Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Not nice but just one of those things! Hot wash kills them and make sure everyone washes their hands and keep nails short. The tablets work quickly. I felt yucky when one of mine had them!